"I Hate Their Guts"

NurembergVillan

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

There you go absolutely distorting what people say to suit some bizarre argument you think you're having

I think the argument was pretty bizarre to start with to be honest, so I'll leave it there.

On 30/01/2018 at 19:03, theboyangel said:
i mentioned earlier in the thread my dislike for preachy vegans and this is why....

cant stand Jeremy vine either but for once he’s been out clearing in the woods!!! 

I have no issues with people making food choices but to be so vitriolic about it is insane. 

Isnt morrisey a vegan? (Probably explains a lot ;) )

I think this was from todays Indy

Go vegan, they said. Save the world, they said. But is the plant-based diet as good for the environment as we’ve been told? Emma Henderson finds out how it could be more sustainable

Deciding to become vegan is not just about the health benefits. For many, one of the driving forces behind deciding to cut out meat and dairy products is to reduce the impact on the environment. Or at least, I thought it was.

This year has seen about 150,000 people taking part in Veganuary – a month to test the waters and see if they can live without animal products. It can be a testing time, but for many it’s a short-lived gimmick rather than a lifestyle change, thinly cloaked as being a healthier way of life.

Just look at social media. There are more than 220,000 tags on Instagram for Veganuary and an un-scrollable amount on Twitter, featuring articles such as “12 of the best vegan Instagrammers to follow for Veganuary inspiration”, where it becomes more about how pretty your food is rather than including information on where it’s come from and the environmental impact it has.

And they’re not the only joyriders hopping on the bandwagon; many companies are seeing the pound signs associated with veganism. Tesco has just launched a vegan range of food, as has Asda. Age-old brand Walls has a non-dairy ice cream, and a whole hoard of newer food brands, such as the cult Pip and Nut and the Coconut Collaborative, base their very being on having no dairy. And almost all the supermarkets have vegan sections on their websites as our obsessions with “free from” items grows.

The world is our oyster

The number of vegans has increased 160 per cent over the past 10 years, but people need to be asking “where has this food come from” as they fill their shopping baskets with the fruits of the world: pomegranates and mangos from India, lentils from Canada, beans from Brazil, blueberries from the US and goji berries from China. Eating lamb chops that come from a farm a few miles down the road is much better for the environment than eating an avocado that has travelled from the other side of the world.

As we greedily plunder the world’s bread basket, it’s the consumer who benefits, while those at the source can be left high and dry. Take avocados and quinoa, whose prices have been pushed up so much by Western demand that they’ve become unaffordable to those who depend on them in their country of origin.

Let’s ‘avo some of that

Kenya – the world’s sixth largest exporter of the fruit – banned exporting avocados on Tuesday because the country’s supply is at risk. The Agriculture and Food Authority says the average price of a 90kg-bag of avocados has reached 2,560 Kenyan shillings (£18), the highest since May 2014. The majority of shortages have been seen in the most popular varieties, fuerte and hass, but across the board Kenya has seen an 18 per cent increase in its export in the past five years, up to 50,000 tons in 2016.

And they’re not the only ones: Australia is also short of the green stuff too, which is causing self-imposed rationing in Queensland as prices have doubled per tray in a year up to A$95 (£54). This shortage has been caused by production being down in Mexico, where the fruit originated, even though production of avocados there has doubled in three years in a bid to remain the global leader of avocado sales.

Back in December Mexico was considering importing avocados, which have been a staple in the country for tens of thousands of years. The country’s economy secretary, Ildefonso Guajardo, said although Mexico now supplies around 45 per cent of the world’s avocados, it wasn’t ruling out importing them for their own consumption. And that’s because the price per kilo is equivalent to the daily minimum wage, 80 pesos (£3). And it’s expected to stay at this level too, causing detrimental effects to those for whom this is a staple.

ow, Mexico makes more money from exporting the stoned fruit than it does from petroleum, and it has become a driving force in illegal deforestation to make way for planting more avocado trees.

Back in 2013 – which the UN dubbed the year of quinoa – prices of the so-called miracle grain of the Andes had reportedly become too expensive for local people to buy. But this grain is a staple part of the region’s diet. The price of the superfood has trebled since 2006 to reach $7 (£5) a kilogram – more expensive than chicken – causing average quinoa consumption in the region to fall in 2014.

Current shifts in the food industry reveal we are aware we need to eat less meat and more vegetables, but there needs to be a sensible balance.

Keep it local 

One way to do this is by sourcing food locally. Last year saw plenty of new restaurants open with their own kitchen gardens, growing seasonally and cutting out the carbon footprint of long distance transportation. Seasonality – along with plant-based diets – are two huge trends from last year.

Clare Smyth, three-Michelin star chef and owner of Core restaurant in London, is a true believer in buying locally: “As a chef I feel a responsibility to support sustainable, independent producers and do my bit for the environment by using local, good quality produce. My menu evolves with the seasons and our suppliers’ availability. It’s not sustainable to buy in strawberries or asparagus from overseas during the winter months when we have an abundance of other fruits and vegetables on our door step.”

But eating just British-grown food can, at times, be incredibly challenging, especially during the winter months, dubbed “the hunger gap”, as River Cottage’s meat expert, Steven Lamb, found during this month of following a vegan diet. “I come from the school of local and seasonal, yet I’ve found January veganism quite a stretch in terms of an abundance of local and seasonal food. For variety I have reached for the odd melon and avocado, which is possibly due to my lack of experience with vegan-appropriate ingredients at this time of the year,” says Lamb.

ow, Mexico makes more money from exporting the stoned fruit than it does from petroleum, and it has become a driving force in illegal deforestation to make way for planting more avocado trees.

Back in 2013 – which the UN dubbed the year of quinoa – prices of the so-called miracle grain of the Andes had reportedly become too expensive for local people to buy. But this grain is a staple part of the region’s diet. The price of the superfood has trebled since 2006 to reach $7 (£5) a kilogram – more expensive than chicken – causing average quinoa consumption in the region to fall in 2014.

Current shifts in the food industry reveal we are aware we need to eat less meat and more vegetables, but there needs to be a sensible balance.

Keep it local 

One way to do this is by sourcing food locally. Last year saw plenty of new restaurants open with their own kitchen gardens, growing seasonally and cutting out the carbon footprint of long distance transportation. Seasonality – along with plant-based diets – are two huge trends from last year.

Clare Smyth, three-Michelin star chef and owner of Core restaurant in London, is a true believer in buying locally: “As a chef I feel a responsibility to support sustainable, independent producers and do my bit for the environment by using local, good quality produce. My menu evolves with the seasons and our suppliers’ availability. It’s not sustainable to buy in strawberries or asparagus from overseas during the winter months when we have an abundance of other fruits and vegetables on our door step.”

But eating just British-grown food can, at times, be incredibly challenging, especially during the winter months, dubbed “the hunger gap”, as River Cottage’s meat expert, Steven Lamb, found during this month of following a vegan diet. “I come from the school of local and seasonal, yet I’ve found January veganism quite a stretch in terms of an abundance of local and seasonal food. For variety I have reached for the odd melon and avocado, which is possibly due to my lack of experience with vegan-appropriate ingredients at this time of the year,” says Lamb.

• Like 2

Has anyone mentioned Morrissey?

Guessing a number of us are of a similar age? 

I was a massive Indie kid in the late 80s/early 90s. Read the NME, Melody Maker, Sounds and the free thing you got in music shops. Moved to London, bought a guitar, hung out at the Water Rats, Bull and Gate, Subterranea and the rest. Was also working with musicians of the one take variety. Disgustingly talented people. At home we had a modest recording set up, augmented by a flow of pro kit we were buying, getting repaired or upgrading for others.

It's disconcerting when you find out your favourite musicians aren't actually that good. My fat love for Spacemen 3 (considered tattoo?!?), Spiritualised, Spectrum and Loop was the first thing to become severely dented. Playing with a variety sonic toys you get to stumble across the ingredients that make the signature sounds you associate with both acts and tracks. The magic starts to fade.

Then there's the propaganda.

I wasn't at any Sex Pistols gig, but have been to see the 'next big thing' in a room where journos and industry outnumbered punters. In the following weeks I read I'd supposedly been at an amazing event headlined by an incredible band. Actually there had been a great band that night, but they were from out of town and supporting. I was alone in front of the stage with my pint, watching them, everyone else being around the bar. Then came the headliners. The gaggle around the bar dispersed to join me in front of the stage. The headline band were laughably shit. Art students at a guess? Zero musical skills. Yet somehow by the power of the pen, they were to become a band to see in the coming months.

My love for the Indie scene, already wounded, died when I read the reviews of that gig.

Indie bands of that time, in the musical scheme of things, weren't that good. They didn't need to be coming off the back of Punk and Synth Pop. I've met Marr, and actually quite like him. A decent player, but most importantly in his case was a conscious decision not to employ the guitar like the popular genres of the time. He filled the guitar space with Punk and Rock free playing. He sounded different and the arsehole at the front with the mic attracted other arseholes in the music press. They all did rather well out of it.

The sneering journalist's reign of terror lasted until the internet came along. Try before before you buy with music properly torpedoed the cliquey bastards.

From then on people listened to the tunes they really wanted to listen to...

... And we all lived happily ever after.

• Like 4

I went to a gig for the next big thing once, The Redskins.

I went based on a review in the NME that quoted lots of sources and inspirations and soundalikes that made them sound right up my alley.

Turned out one of the band wrote articles for the NME.

Absolute bunch of hoaxers.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I went to a gig for the next big thing once, The Redskins.

I went based on a review in the NME that quoted lots of sources and inspirations and soundalikes that made them sound right up my alley.

Turned out one of the band wrote articles for the NME.

Absolute bunch of hoaxers.

The review wasn't by X Moore, was it?:crylaugh:

• Like 1

Just now, snowychap said:

X Marr, surely? ;)

lol but no, in this case, NME scribe of the era X Moore. He also went by the name of Chris Dean. Singer in the Redskins. He was always bigging them up in the NME until he got rumbled

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

lol but no, in this case, NME scribe of the era X Moore. He also went by the name of Chris Dean. Singer in the Redskins. He was always bigging them up in the NME until he got rumbled

Fair enough - was going with the VT pun angle. :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not sure if serious... 

11 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah I was thinking the same @mjmooney. I’d be a little more on the nose and say you, @Stevo985 must have heard these, I guess without knowing who it was -

I can see the videos now.

The only one I've ever heard is Mr Tambourine Man (or at least the only one I can recall hearing)

I do like all three of those songs posted though.

I don't hear the similarity to The Smiths but I am far FAR from an expert in these things so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that.

13 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

It's like my parents splitting up! I'll go an live with Mooney in the week, and see Risso on weekends, Birthdays, and Christmas.

You'll be wiping up infant sick for the most part with Mooney - don't know what you'd be expected to do round Risso's on a weekend or at xmas (year end?). :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

You'll be wiping up infant sick for the most part with Mooney - don't know what you'd be expected to do round Risso's on a weekend or at xmas (year end?). :)

Drown in a sea of tweeness. :mrgreen:

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

i mentioned earlier in the thread my dislike for preachy vegans and this is why....

cant stand Jeremy vine either but for once he’s been out clearing in the woods!!! 

I have no issues with people making food choices but to be so vitriolic about it is insane. 

Isnt morrisey a vegan? (Probably explains a lot ;) )

I would have happily ordered a bloody Bleu steak right in front of this a hole

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bickster said:

That tattoo is almost as bad as the one a bloke in work has got that makes me irritable on sight

It's an eye, a heart, a house and a semiquaver* all in a line.

roughly in the same position as Vegan up there, which is why it reminded me

1/16th note please ;)

Â