The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Clearly not, they got done with Casemiro diving and VAR still telling ref to give penalty!

Just being pedantic, but VAR didn't tell the ref anything. VAR just gave the ref the chance to see the incident again, and then he upheld the decision.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Just being pedantic, but VAR didn't tell the ref anything. VAR just gave the ref the chance to see the incident again, and then he upheld the decision.

yep that's the way i see it too, a shit ref with a video replay is still a shit ref

VAR doesnt fix refs and for me the worry is 1) refs in our country are **** terrible (mike dean will love the attention) 2) VAR isnt used for 99% of decisions in a game, the soft free kicks, the throw ins and goal kicks / corners given the wrong way etc

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I like VAR but it’s causing a serious problem with handballs. First the World Cup final and now this. 

They need to clear up the rules on handball!

They're doing so - because no-one understood them before.  They're adding in something like hitting the arm "outside of a natural silhouette" of a player is handball.

I think it was used quite well in the Porto/Roma game but I think I would've let the ref have a look with the "trip" by porto right at the end. Don't think that it would've been called a pen but I felt that it was close enough. 

I think the main takeaway from the addition of VAR is that handball's like PSG's aren't being called real time and only being caught by VAR. This brings around a different standard with refs w/o VAR and it gets confusing going back and forth. 

PSG were robbed that was never a pen. Var causing massive problems by shit referring. If your going to give a pen for that you will be giving maybe two a game. The guy wasn’t even facing the ball, it was close and his arm was not completely out. 

It stinks for me

7 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I think the main takeaway from the addition of VAR is that handball's like PSG's aren't being called real time and only being caught by VAR. This brings around a different standard with refs w/o VAR and it gets confusing going back and forth. 

My understanding of VAR is that it would correct clear and obvious errors. The PSG handball is not deliberate against a shot that looks to be utterly awful.  How they can come to the conclusion that the referee made a clear and obvious error there is baffling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

PSG were robbed that was never a pen. Var causing massive problems by shit referring. If your going to give a pen for that you will be giving maybe two a game. The guy wasn’t even facing the ball, it was close and his arm was not completely out. 

It stinks for me

I think VAR is shite personally, but if you're going to throw yourself in front of the ball with your arms out, then if it hits your arm it's a dead set penalty. It wasn't as if the ball just hit him as he stood there, he tried to block it with his body. Very unlucky though.

Edited by MrDuck
  • Like 2

Handball is shitty everywhere.

The problem is with handball, people see the ball hit the arm and claim handball regardless of context.

VAR doesn't add any context either

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Handball is shitty everywhere.

The problem is with handball, people see the ball hit the arm and claim handball regardless of context.

VAR doesn't add any context either

Var should not be used for hand balls in my opinion. I don't see how the ref can say that's 100% a pen when ten hours later everyone is still debating whether it was or wasn't. 

Very poor form the referee and smells fishy to me

Â