The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But the point is it's very very difficult to judge whether a player has done it deliberately or not. 

Even the Sanchez one you could argue wasn't deliberate. He just had his arms out. 

Which is where I think the "unnatural position" thing has come from. Because intent is too hard to judge unless you're a mind reader. 
Plus if it's purely on intent, then surely a defender could stand on the line with his arms in the air? If the ball its them well, he didn't intend it, so it's not a handball. 

“Unnatural position” may be the wrong phrase there, but you’d have to question why his arms are in the air. It would be reasonable to assume it’s to stop the ball with his hands and, therefore, deliberate.

Again, it’s pretty simple. I don’t think there’s been any particularly tough handball decisions in this World Cup - some have still been incorrectly given though. 

VAR in it's current form surprisingly makes games more entertaining. We never had so many players running after, shouting at, or pushing refs as we have now. All because of VAR. And I was against VAR because I wanted stories of wrong decisions to stay alive as they always have. How wrong was I to suspect VAR would take this intrinsic part of the game away from us.

Edited by AVTuco

On 27/06/2018 at 12:46, bobzy said:

Personally, I think it's pretty simple.

Did Rojo deliberately handle the ball?  No.  Did Poulsen?  No.  Did Umtiti?  Yes.  Did Soares?  No.  Did Sanchez? Yes - that's just from this World Cup and I'd be surprised if anyone thinks differently*.

* - Plus they'd just be wrong if they did :D 

A sample of four is not enough to go ahead and state that every handball decision will be 'simple'.

Again, we know this, because we have decades of evidence of pundits arguing about handballs as proof. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

A sample of four is not enough to go ahead and state that every handball decision will be 'simple'.

Again, we know this, because we have decades of evidence of pundits arguing about handballs as proof. 

Pundits in not knowing football rules non-shocker. 

• 1 month later...

I can't really tell what's going on at the start of that clip. But shows you what the ref's have to deal with constantly.

Also shows that the VAR review, in that case, was basically seamless.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Interesting clip though i do find uncomfortable the first name calling of the players

Too friendly for me

Yeah that seems a bit strange. But then again it's the quickest way to get their attention. The ref probably doesn't know every number off by heart, and I know it's on shirts but if they know who they're talking to maybe that's best?

But yeah does seem too comfortable. I'd like to know if it was the norm.

• 4 months later...

Why is the VAR in English football completely different than the World Cup version. I think it worked for the fans and viewers in the World Cup as they saw the referee look at the incident and not some faceless officials awarding it.

Two annoying things about VAR. 1.Azpulicueta and other Chelsea players arguing with the ref even though the incident was being reviewed. 2. Sky commentators stating the obvious and showing replay after replay when we can all see what happened. 

Also £78m for a keeper who doesn't have the brain to stay on his feet instead of flying out giving away a stone wall penalty? Basic goalkeeping stuff, kane still had a lot to do to score. 

Both Pochettino and Sarri stating their dislike for VAR after yesterdays game.

So far it seem like fans like it while players and managers seem to hate it.

As expected there is a lot of work still to be done for it to work properly.

Spending 2 minutes or whatever to look at video to decide if it's it a pen if Kane was 1 millimeter offside or not is not how it should be used IMO.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Why is the VAR in English football completely different than the World Cup version. I think it worked for the fans and viewers in the World Cup as they saw the referee look at the incident and not some faceless officials awarding it.

I think the ref only looks at it (on a screen at the side of the pitch) if the people in the back office as him to review it.

*I didn't watch the game last night so maybe getting this wrong.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the ref only looks at it (on a screen at the side of the pitch) if the people in the back office as him to review it.

*I didn't watch the game last night so maybe getting this wrong.

Somebody in an office in  London said it was a penalty and he never looked at it. In World Cup i think the ref had a beeper on watch to ask him to look which i think managers and players accepted 

Â