The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

For me the application and inconsistency of VAR is a complete disaster. It has its place if administered with common sense, but they dont have a clue what they are doing with it. I now expect every goal to be disallowed.

The worst decision of the season has to be the Wesley 'heel' offside, the total ambiguity let alone the utter inconsequence of this moment in the context of the goal is a disgrace. VAR should have been suspended at this point as they had disappeared up their own backsides with it.

FWIW, I reluctantly accept Engels fouled Bergwijn, it was a penalty. Bergwijn leaned into it and played for it, and equally Engels needs to do better there, but Jack does this all over the pitch in every match, its gamesmanship. Callum Wilson did the same with Heaton vs Bournmouth for that penalty at the start of the season. But the issue is inconsistency as I have seen other clips of VAR ignoring similar (in fact more blatant) instances as the Engels one elsewhere this season.

Edited by thunderball

Obviously not seen all situations but for me the punch in the face on Engels by the Bournemouth GK was by far the worst decision.

It was almost Harald Schumacher on Battiston or Billy Cole from The Last Boy Scout level bad.

Punch to the face clear as day, VAR looks at it, nothing given.

Whoever was the VAR in the game last night was clearly a Man Utd fan. Maguire should have been straight red and there was absolutely nothing wrong with Chelseas goal! If anything Azpilicueta was pushed by Fred. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Whoever was the VAR in the game last night was clearly a Man Utd fan. Maguire should have been straight red and there was absolutely nothing wrong with Chelseas goal! If anything Azpilicueta was pushed by Fred. 

Yep, it's called the Premier League

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

I said it before, VAR was brought into the Premier League to manipulate results. Its to stop teams like City, Leicester from challenging the "bigger" clubs

Do people ACTUALLY believe this?

I mean, VAR has been an absolute and total disaster. it's shit.

But do people REALLY believe it's a conspiracy to make sure the bigger teams win?

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But do people REALLY believe it's a conspiracy to make sure the bigger teams win?

Maybe not directly no.

But referees favour big teams and now if you don't have a ref giving a 50/50 decision against you, there's some other word removed trying to find a way to 200 miles away.

You think we'd have got that Engels pen at Anfield? Absolutely no chance. Evidenced by McGinn on day 1.

You think any of our players wouldn't have been sent off if they'd did what Maguire did? Off you pop, no doubt.

The Wes "foul" on the the keeper against Brighton. They just dived in and decided to disallow it, when did they become part of it? Going back and looking for fouls to disallow goals?

Refs who have decisions overruled should have marks put against them and be relegated to the Championship for a few weeks, then they might get into shape so they can keep up with play.

The refs are mostly all poor and just want a quiet life. They know in the back of their mind a result with Tottenham beating Villa isn't going to make news. A decision given to Spurs will be easier for them to give than one to Villa.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Hmmm, I don’t think it’s that wild an assessment, everything about football seems to be more and more focused on insulating a big 10-15 clubs in Europe.

Probably in anticipation of the closed European league they’ve wanted now for years.

It’ll reach a point whereby it gets so bad that the closed off euro league actually becomes appealing to everyone and boom, there’s the justification they’ve wanted.

28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Maybe not directly no.

But referees favour big teams and now if you don't have a ref giving a 50/50 decision against you, there's some other word removed trying to find a way to 200 miles away.

You think we'd have got that Engels pen at Anfield? Absolutely no chance. Evidenced by McGinn on day 1.

You think any of our players wouldn't have been sent off if they'd did what Maguire did? Off you pop, no doubt.

The Wes "foul" on the the keeper against Brighton. They just dived in and decided to disallow it, when did they become part of it? Going back and looking for fouls to disallow goals?

Refs who have decisions overruled should have marks put against them and be relegated to the Championship for a few weeks, then they might get into shape so they can keep up with play.

The refs are mostly all poor and just want a quiet life. They know in the back of their mind a result with Tottenham beating Villa isn't going to make news. A decision given to Spurs will be easier for them to give than one to Villa.

I don't disagree in the slightest that there is bias, and bigger teams tend to get more decisions. I agree with your post 100%

But that is very different to something being brought in to deliberately manipulate results.

28 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hmmm, I don’t think it’s that wild an assessment, everything about football seems to be more and more focused on insulating a big 10-15 clubs in Europe.

Probably in anticipation of the closed European league they’ve wanted now for years.

It’ll reach a point whereby it gets so bad that the closed off euro league actually becomes appealing to everyone and boom, there’s the justification they’ve wanted.

I think it's an extremely wild assessment. 

Insitutionalised corruption at the highest level of the English game? It's an incredibly wild accusation.

The reality I imagine is what Tomaszk has outlined. Poor officiating standards, an often subconcious bias to big teams, and a poorly implemented and thought out VAR system which magnifies the first two factors.

The suggestion that this was specifically brought in, and is being used, to deliberately maniuplate results in favour of certain teams is frankly ludicrous. Imo of course.

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's an extremely wild assessment. 

Insitutionalised corruption at the highest level of the English game? It's an incredibly wild accusation.

The reality I imagine is what Tomaszk has outlined. Poor officiating standards, an often subconcious bias to big teams, and a poorly implemented and thought out VAR system which magnifies the first two factors.

The suggestion that this was specifically brought in, and is being used, to deliberately maniuplate results in favour of certain teams is frankly ludicrous. Imo of course.

Yeah, it's not like there's ever been any kind of precedent for this kind of thing eh?

FFP.

Theres the same lack of consistency as with the onfield refs and basic common sense. Two bad decisions last night. One correct but Gary Neville talks nonsense. there has to be  margin of error and if the linesman doesn't flag then the goal should stand if it that close. Learn from drs!

• Like 2

This level of incompetence from a multibillion dollar sports league is astounding, frankly. VAR is a big wet fart on the face of fans of the league the world over, let alone aggrieved teams that have been victimized by it. Has nobody been fired yet? Fans should consider a league wide walkout.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Theres the same lack of consistency as with the onfield refs and basic common sense. Two bad decisions last night. One correct but Gary Neville talks nonsense. there has to be  margin of error and if the linesman doesn't flag then the goal should stand if it that close. Learn from drs!

Gary Neville is an idiot though, was foundout for the football expert he is when at Valencia

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gary Neville is an idiot though, was foundout for the football expert he is when at Valencia

I actually think Neville is one of the best pundits out there ATM. Probably shouldn't have started his managerial career at such a high profile club in Spain.

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I actually think Neville is one of the best pundits out there ATM. Probably shouldn't have started his managerial career at such a high profile club in Spain.

Being a pundit you especially in Neville case you had 24/48 hours to look like a genius with all your systems. 

In reality he was just a bluffer like Shearer. At least Keane and Souness went in for the long run

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yes he’s just too biased when co-commentating Man U games 

Â