The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

One thing I noticed yesterday was the frame VAR were looking at in the booth and the actual pass made yesterday for City's goal against Leicester are two totally different frames. Hard to explain it but if you watch the goal and see the replays VAR look at, it looks well onside but it was actually much closer than that when the pass was played. Just seems strange.

Was watching a Serie A match, can't remember which one, where the ref actually made his way to a monitor and reversed his own decision. So simple but so much better than what we have where some tipsy guy in a room is messing up and ruining games.

• Like 1

I don't understand why we don't do the monitor thing.  That was always my impression of what VAR was when it started in the world cup.

Surely there should be uniform rules across the board for the application of VAR?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I don't understand why we don't do the monitor thing.  That was always my impression of what VAR was when it started in the world cup.

Surely there should be uniform rules across the board for the application of VAR?

I think they were trying to cut down the time it takes.

But it's **** stupid. It takes the same amount of time, and all it does is adds another official into the decision making so you get inconsistencies all over the place.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think they were trying to cut down the time it takes.

But it's **** stupid. It takes the same amount of time, and all it does is adds another official into the decision making so you get inconsistencies all over the place.

It's barmy. How long does it actually take for a ref to run to the monitor?  Then surely it takes the same amount of time to make the decision, if not less because the ref himself knows why he gave a certain decision and what evidence he needs to overturn it. 

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's barmy. How long does it actually take for a ref to run to the monitor?  Then surely it takes the same amount of time to make the decision, if not less because the ref himself knows why he gave a certain decision and what evidence he needs to overturn it. 

Exactly! The ref knows, for example, "I didn't give that because the player got the ball" so he knows exactly what he's looking for when he sees it. If he sees there was contact then he overturns it. If it confirms what he saw in the first place it doesn't.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was at San Siro few weeks back. Ref gave a yellow card, went to monitor and gave a red card. Took less than a minute 

• Like 2

One thing I don't get is why do they have to wait until the ball goes out of play to stop and review the situations since the ref on the pitch doesn't watch the video anyway?

If it is a penalty or whatever just tell the ref and get on with it. If it's not then don't stop play and have the ref standing there like a moron in the middle of the pitch not watching the important video of the situation while the VAR guy does his job for him.

Just have the actual ref watch the video ffs, at least then he is accountable for any right or wrong call made. The extra 15 seconds it would take for him to run over to the monitor should not be an issue.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

One thing I don't get is why do they have to wait until the ball goes out of play to stop and review the situations since the ref on the pitch doesn't watch the video anyway?

If it is a penalty or whatever just tell the ref and get on with it. If it's not then don't stop play and have the ref standing there like a moron in the middle of the pitch not watching the important video of the situation while the VAR guy does his job for him.

Just have the actual ref watch the video ffs, at least then he is accountable for any right or wrong call made. The extra 15 seconds it would take for him to run over to the monitor should not be an issue.

The u-turn that screwed Bournemouth. They think they've equalised, instead it's 2-0. Sickening really.

• Like 1

Bring out referee tablets was my idea when the monitors argument first came up. A well designed holder on their back or chest wouldn't be obtrusive and would save the time required to go to the side of the pitch that seems to be such a big deal. Obviously use the monitor then if the free WiFi isn't connecting.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

The u-turn that screwed Bournemouth. They think they've equalised, instead it's 2-0. Sickening really.

It was only a matter of time before this exact scenario played out! If the VAR is on the ball, and while the refs aren't using monitors, then they should make their decision during play and possibly prevent it.

Haven't seen the decisions to comment if it was the correct outcome, but yes still heartbreaking in any case.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It was only a matter of time before this exact scenario played out! If the VAR is on the ball, and while the refs aren't using monitors, then they should make their decision during play and possibly prevent it.

Haven't seen the decisions to comment if it was the correct outcome, but yes still heartbreaking in any case.

It was a real grey area handball. Hit the exact spot between top of the arm/shoulder. I, begrudgingly, would have stuck with the original decision made by ref/lino. (no handball) Less of a handball that Sokratis against us mind.

Seriously considering the fact that if we stay up then I may not renew my season ticket.

Totally fed up with VAR's as well as the consistently incompetent level of refereeing. I thought it was bad in the Championship but the standard of refereeing in this league is dreadful.

VAR is killing the enjoyment I get out of a game if we score its a half arsed celebration. Its all come down to the pixel resolution on some blokes computer monitor in a shed somewhere...totally ruined the game for me.

Rant over

Regards to all 

Derek

• Like 1

Â