The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think the Spurs player was in the Spurs half. Showed it once on Sky

Yeah he was, he was 5 or more yards inside his own half too..............which shows how high our defensive line was.

If I was @villalad21 or someone of that ilk I would question why on earth, what's probably the slowest defence in the league would hold such a high line against such a fast paced opposition attack.........

Totally agree with many of the previous comments.

Engels punched in the head by late-arriving goalie: VAR does nothing.

El Ghazi butted in the face by late-arriving defender: VAR does nothing.

When will commentators and officials stop calling everything that doesn't involve a player's boot a "coming together" or "accidental clash". If you get there half a second late and totally level the guy who has just played the ball, it doesn't matter what body part you do it with – it is a sodding FOUL! What part of that is so complicated?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

The El Ghazi one should have been a penalty IMO but for whatever reason, challenges like that aren't punished in the box. Why doesn't VAR pick that one up?

I have watched the penalty several times and I still think it is incredibly harsh, Engels does make contact with the ball after he's caught Bergwijn (yet some pundits said he never even made contact with the ball?). The Spurs forward is clever and buys the foul but I agree with Smith - It wasn't clear and obvious so why have VAR over-ruled it and given the penalty? Not for me.  Also on the penalty, does anyone have a clear picture/video showing whether there was an offside in the build up? TV replays barely showed this element, but again that didn't look clean cut.

Not sure about our appeal for the handball, but again, was it even looked at? 

The corner we should have got when Grealish had a shot clearly deflected off the Spurs defender, why is that not reversed by VAR? 

I'm probably sounding bitter, but VAR is w***, yes no doubt it can be improved upon, the laws of the games regarding handballs and offsides are not helping the situation and referee's not viewing the screen themselves, but even that aside it is still spoiling the game no end.

This is the thing though, what is VAR - it doesn't actually exist, it isn't a thing - the cameras pick up everything that happens so it was picked up, it just wasn't reviewed, like, at all.

Because (and I'm sorry, but I'm harping on back to my original concerns over the introduction of this shite), you have someone arbitrarily deciding what does and doesn't get reviewed - and that's the problem.

For me it's one or the other, either have humans officiating with no VAR or, get rid of humans entirely and build software smart enough to do the officiating.

It's only going to get worse, this doesn't get better folks, there's no scope for this to get better as things stand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Honest question without scrolling through 115 pages, is anyone in favour of it? 

No but scrapping it isn't enough

Its showing just how bad our refs are, VAR isn't the answer but it doesn't mean the question shouldn't be asked, they have to get better 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

It isn't the technology. it's that they are just asking another (incompetent) ref's opinion.

Now a player who shouldn't be on the pitch if VAR does its job scores United's 2nd.

Yeah but it actually amplifies the poor refereeing and makes things worse.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Â