The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

What the hell is 10cm even? How do you just that from a tv monitor?

Assume it's to stop the being offside by an armpit or a toenail nonsense.

But it won't stop it. You'll just be offside by an armpit or a toenail 10cm further up the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Away teams in the FA Cup at PL grounds that used VAR have just been sent the bill... Its just over £9k

Flyde played Sheffield United and have to pay 50%

Stupid 

Expecting a nice gesture from united 

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

So how long before a goal is given legally because the player was only 9cm offside. But it’s offside, so how???

If the latest idea was implemented, that wouldn't be offside.

The point is basically to give a margin of error for the VAR tech to kick in. But all it will do is move the argument position on the pitch.

What they need to do is basically reject the idea of offside being a truly objective matter and dump the fools errand of trying to get an absolute rule on offside. Set it to a second opinion basis with no pissing about with lines and freeze frames. If it's not clear and obvious there's been an error, on pitch decision stands.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Away teams in the FA Cup at PL grounds that used VAR have just been sent the bill... Its just over £9k

Flyde played Sheffield United and have to pay 50%

Stupid 

Expecting a nice gesture from united 

**** that.  Fylde are a dirty, non-league money club trying to buy their way into League Two.  Hilariously, after coming relatively close last season, they're currently in a relegation battle. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

**** that.  Fylde are a dirty, non-league money club trying to buy their way into League Two.  Hilariously, after coming relatively close last season, they're currently in a relegation battle. 

I dont think Fylde is the point, its tgat smaller clubs have to pay for a system that they actually get no use from 

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Serie A clubs have asked for a managerial challenge system for VAR

The idea that VAR works well in other leagues is not really true, it might work better than in the PL but it's not working well.

La Liga had an emergency meeting last week and Serie A want it changed. Bundesliga and Ligue 1 also has a lot of issues.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think we can all agree that the standard of refereeing is appalling in the league. VAR was meant to help this. The fact it’s actually hindering, shows it’s not working. 

Instead of shitty refs they should have used retired refs in the booth 

• Like 2

On 08/02/2020 at 20:24, Chindie said:

If the latest idea was implemented, that wouldn't be offside.

The point is basically to give a margin of error for the VAR tech to kick in. But all it will do is move the argument position on the pitch.

What they need to do is basically reject the idea of offside being a truly objective matter and dump the fools errand of trying to get an absolute rule on offside. Set it to a second opinion basis with no pissing about with lines and freeze frames. If it's not clear and obvious there's been an error, on pitch decision stands.

Seems so simple to me. Have someone watch it back in slow motion if there's a goal. If there's an obvious error, overrule it. If the linesman's decision looks kosher in slow Mo, let it stand. Gets rid of egregious errors without the nonsense. 

1 minute ago, blunther said:

More farce in the Wolves match. Even the referee doesn't seem to know what's happening. Who's in charge anymore?

Its pathetic, absolutely pathetic and its spoiling the game.

You then have an ex referee on BT's panel defending it !!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I quite like the challenge idea. Give each team 2 or 3 challenges to go to VAR if they think something is wrong with a decision. If VAR seems the referee's decision incorrect, the team that called for VAR will lose a challenge.  

Works in other sports. 

Though, I guess the reality of it is that every goal will get challenged in hope there's a slight offside. So probably wouldn't make a difference in practice.

Though, we were in a game recently and Konsa was fouled on the edge of the opposition box and the other team went up the pitch and scored. At least we could dispute things like that.

Edited by PieFacE

Not the first and it wont be the last

football has turned into slide rule precision measurement

in situations like this, where is the attacking player seeking to gain an advantage and where is the obvious error from the officials?

Its mind boggling and silly

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

Not the first and it wont be the last

football has turned into slide rule precision measurement

in situations like this, where is the attacking player seeking to gain an advantage and where is the obvious error from the officials?

Its mind boggling and silly

At least In that freeze frame he looks slightly offside, it's No where near as ridiculous as Wesleys 'offside' v Burnley

Edited by Jimzk5

12 hours ago, blunther said:

More farce in the Wolves match. Even the referee doesn't seem to know what's happening. Who's in charge anymore?

Wolves seem to have been done over by VAR more than anyone else.  I thought we had it bad. 

2 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

At least In that freeze frame he looks slightly offside, it's No where near as ridiculous as Wesleys 'offside' v Burnley

Maybe but there were about 4 more touches after that. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  They just need to go back to the clear air rule which operated a few years ago. 

It will work now because they can actually work it out exactly. 

If the player is that far ahead of the defender he is then clearly gaining an advantage but this heel mm in front of the defenders shoulder is just plain stupid. 

Also with that rule the crowd in live play would have a good idea it's coming as it would be reasonably obvious there is a suspicion rather than the current cluelesness as offsides are given out of seemingly nowhere. 

• Like 1

On 14/02/2020 at 13:59, Zatman said:

Instead of shitty refs they should have used retired refs in the booth 

I hated a new system put in at work. I was in control of said system. I made the system seem to be as flawed as possible. 

Sabotage. 

Much like this IMO. 

Â