The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Bring out referee tablets was my idea when the monitors argument first came up. A well designed holder on their back or chest wouldn't be obtrusive and would save the time required to go to the side of the pitch that seems to be such a big deal. Obviously use the monitor then if the free WiFi isn't connecting.

I’d never thought of this but seems an easy to implement sensible suggestion.

• Thanks 1

It doesn't matter what happens or what changes, the situation will always be dire because the officials just aren't very good. Even if we exclusively used the monitors, would you put it past a PL ref to not also inconsistently call the 2 handball cases in the Leicester - Man City game? That needs to be the first thing to improve as well as an overhaul of the rules to remove all the unnecessary ambiguity.

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It doesn't matter what happens or what changes, the situation will always be dire because the officials just aren't very good. Even if we exclusively used the monitors, would you put it past a PL ref to not also inconsistently call the 2 handball cases in the Leicester - Man City game? That needs to be the first thing to improve as well as an overhaul of the rules to remove all the unnecessary ambiguity.

Pre-this season as football fans we'd accept the ref giving 1 and not the other due to a degree of human error. Maybe he didn't see it right, bad positioning etc. This is life. Win some, lose some. With VAR we expect that to have gone away, the human error in the split second heat of the moment should be all but eradicated. But it isn't, we still seem to be see bad calls, inconsistent calls, confusing calls.

The most disgusting decision of the year came in on Saturday with Leicester not being awarded a penalty after Ederson absolutely destroyed their player mid air without even coming close to the ball.

In what world and under what rules is that not a penalty?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The most disgusting decision of the year came in on Saturday with Leicester not being awarded a penalty after Ederson absolutely destroyed their player mid air without even coming close to the ball.

In what world and under what rules is that not a penalty?

Still think the Aaron Ramsdale punch in the face on Engels is the worst.

• Like 3

its not VAR but I still think the grealish dive is the worst out of the lot

it wasn't a dive, there is contact from 2 players

he didn't even play for a free kick, he carried on and played the ball, after cahill clattered him he got straight back up

cahill dives backwards following the contact that apparently didn't happen, cahill made more of a meal out of it than jack

everything about it stinks and still riles me, the ref gave himself no time to think about it, blew his whistle rather than let VAR sort it out, its genuinely one of the worst decisions I've ever seen, a decision that wasn't inept it was downright prejudiced, friend had made his mind up before the play even unfolded

I think because we've been so poor and VAR has been so poor that when the dust settles on the season no one can complain about VAR and ref decisions but a point vs palace followed by 3 points 2 games later vs arsenal and our season looks very different (and that's before you throw in the McGinn penalty vs spurs)

• Like 4

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 13:02, delboy54 said:

Seriously considering the fact that if we stay up then I may not renew my season ticket.

Totally fed up with VAR's as well as the consistently incompetent level of refereeing. I thought it was bad in the Championship but the standard of refereeing in this league is dreadful.

VAR is killing the enjoyment I get out of a game if we score its a half arsed celebration. Its all come down to the pixel resolution on some blokes computer monitor in a shed somewhere...totally ruined the game for me.

Rant over

Regards to all 

Derek

Same here. I'm certainly coming if we're in the Championship. Yet to decide if we stay up.

40 minutes ago, sne said:

Still think the Aaron Ramsdale punch in the face on Engels is the worst.

I agree. I can't think of a single reason why a player can be punched in the head and it not be a foul. Keeper missed the ball and punched him in the face. A player misses the ball with his foot and takes out the opponent is always a foul. The mind boggles.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree. I can't think of a single reason why a player can be punched in the head and it not be a foul. Keeper missed the ball and punched him in the face. A player misses the ball with his foot and takes out the opponent is always a foul. The mind boggles.

I remember Guzan smashed little Dyer from Leicester in the infamous Sherwood game. He concussed him and should have got a straight red. Nothing given

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I remember Guzan smashed little Dyer from Leicester in the infamous Sherwood game. He concussed him and should have got a straight red. Nothing given

Goalkeepers have pretty much free rein to do anything except handle the ball outside the box it seems :lol: 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Unless the opponent is a goalkeeper.

The rules (or how they're applied) around keepers are weird. They're over protected in the air and underprotected on the ground.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Unless the opponent is a goalkeeper.

The rules (or how they're applied) around keepers are weird. They're over protected in the air and underprotected on the ground.

When impeding the keeper I agree they should get a bit more protection, but this was the keeper punching the attacker in the head after he’d failed to get to the ball :lol: 

Edited by Genie

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

When impeding the keeper I agree they should get a bit more protection, but this was the keeper punching the attacker in the head after he’d failed to get to the ball :lol: 

Oh I know, I wasn't disagreeing. That's what I mean by they're protected in the air. When the ball is in the air the keeper seems to be able to do anything and if you dare touch him it's a foul.

But when the ball is on the ground it's the opposite. Attackers seem to be able to lunge in because "the ball is there to be won". Which doesn't apply to any other player on the pitch.

• Like 1

Look how quickly the red card was sorted in the Chelsea game tonight because the ref went over and used the monitor. The big problem we have in the Prem is that every single English referee is a shambles and until they're all sacked off VAR will remain a mess. 

• Like 1

Â