The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

So, VAR overruled it, so it was a Clear And Obvious Error, yeah? So which of the linesman or referee will be held accountable for their Clear And Obvious Error? I could understand the referee not having a great view, but if he didn't then the Lino was ten yards away. 

Surely there should be a tally of the Clear And Obvious Errors each referee and linesman have made? When and how are they held accountable for them? If a referee keeps making Clear And Obvious Errors then surely they should be sacked? Say, more than three a season?

Or maybe it's all just made up bullshit. 

I thought it was a soft penalty and if you're going to look at the Engels on just before that then I don't understand why the Sanchez one wasn't looked at as posted above. There was certainly no check for that.

Would've been harsh but anyone who watched Milan-Juve in the week would've seen a ridiculous penalty given for handball against Milan.

Ironically the biggest one for me was one that can't be checked because it's a different phase of play. If you go back to the first goal tonight have a look at the move that lead to the corner....I'm pretty sure Bergwijn was as offside as many players have been for tight offsides this season yet it wasn't given, corner was and Spurs scored from it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Really?

Looks like he goes straight through him to me. And the only reason he eventually gets a but of the ball is because it's played into him.

It was a desperate lunge and he **** it. His first big mistake of the game.

Bergjwin can feel him coming and moves his other foot towards him while beginning to fall. It's not like Engels went right through him, that's a cast iron penalty. Of course was judged on super slow mo replay aswell which we've seen with some tackles makes things look more deliberate.

I can understand why it was given but in the soft category for me, plenty more obvious ones not given for many teams this season. I'd actually say there was more contact when Richarlison went down at VP if you can remember that one at 0-0 in the Everton game.

• Like 2

Both were penalties, yet only one was given. VAR was supposed to end or at least severely limit such unjust inconsistencies. Either fix the system so it does that or scrap it.

For what it's worth, I only half-heartedly celebrated our first goal today because I thought VAR might rule it out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think we realise how corrupt VAR is as its one rule for some teams. If Aldeirweld tackled El Ghazi in the same way no way its given a penalty

I don't think so.

All VAR does is outline just how terrible referees are. 

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think we realise how corrupt VAR is as its one rule for some teams. If Aldeirweld tackled El Ghazi in the same way no way its given a penalty

I disagree. And we'd be livid if it wasn't given. 

It was a penalty.

But I agree the El Ghazi handball one was too

What about the one where El Ghazi got a header on target from about 5 yards out and then a spurs defender head butted his face, would have been a free kick anywhere else on the pitch.

Just like Engels getting punched in the face by the keeper at Bournemouth.

Its a total and utter pile of shit, let’s be honest, it’s a mechanism for manipulation of results to suit a narrative, IT IS NOT FOOTBALL.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That was ridiculous.

The "rules" around keepers are so strange, in both directions.

When the ball is in the air the keepers seem to be allowed to do whatever they want. Because "the ball is there to be won"

On the ground it's the other way round. Players can dive in studs up and pile into a keeper and it never gets punished because again "the ball is there to be won"

Anywhere else on the pitch that doesn't happen

• Like 2

I think VAR is being brought in to fix matches. A skilled operator can easily edit video footage or move an object (a player's limb to an offside position etc) with the content aware tool in photoshop within seconds. The actualy VAR checks are taking 3 to 4 minutes.

The government  use football to promote their adgenda's. namely capitalism, spending, loans, betting debt etc.

It's beginning to look as fixed as WWF wrestling. In the past the massive football miscarriges of justice have been put down to incompetent ref's.  examples Maradona 86, Thierry Henry V Republic of ireland and south Korea V Italy. This season VAR obviously being used to obtain the desired outcome ie liverpool are allowed to win the league after 30 years, west ham stay up etc. We are watching (and talking about)  a pantomine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What about the one where El Ghazi got a header on target from about 5 yards out and then a spurs defender head butted his face, would have been a free kick anywhere else on the pitch.

Its a total and utter pile of shit, let’s be honest, it’s a mechanism for manipulation of results to suit a narrative, IT IS NOT FOOTBALL.

The El Ghazi one should have been a penalty IMO but for whatever reason, challenges like that aren't punished in the box. Why doesn't VAR pick that one up?

I have watched the penalty several times and I still think it is incredibly harsh, Engels does make contact with the ball after he's caught Bergwijn (yet some pundits said he never even made contact with the ball?). The Spurs forward is clever and buys the foul but I agree with Smith - It wasn't clear and obvious so why have VAR over-ruled it and given the penalty? Not for me.  Also on the penalty, does anyone have a clear picture/video showing whether there was an offside in the build up? TV replays barely showed this element, but again that didn't look clean cut.

Not sure about our appeal for the handball, but again, was it even looked at? 

The corner we should have got when Grealish had a shot clearly deflected off the Spurs defender, why is that not reversed by VAR? 

I'm probably sounding bitter, but VAR is w***, yes no doubt it can be improved upon, the laws of the games regarding handballs and offsides are not helping the situation and referee's not viewing the screen themselves, but even that aside it is still spoiling the game no end.

22 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I have watched the penalty several times and I still think it is incredibly harsh, Engels does make contact with the ball after he's caught Bergwijn (yet some pundits said he never even made contact with the ball?). The Spurs forward is clever and buys the foul but I agree with Smith - It wasn't clear and obvious so why have VAR over-ruled it and given the penalty? Not for me.  Also on the penalty, does anyone have a clear picture/video showing whether there was an offside in the build up? TV replays barely showed this element, but again that didn't look clean cut.

I think the Spurs player was in the Spurs half. Showed it once on Sky

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the Spurs player was in the Spurs half. Showed it once on Sky

I havent seen that replay but I'd guess this must be true as the one thing I think everyone can agree on is that VAR is pretty accurate when it comes to offsides!

Without having seen it though its difficult to believe just going off the replays because by the time the ball comes through Bergweijn has a 2 yard head start on Engels. 

• Like 1

Â