The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

On 14/02/2020 at 14:59, Zatman said:

Instead of shitty refs they should have used retired refs in the booth 

Definitely this 

There should be a system in place that means that the older guys who are deemed not fit enough anymore can then move towards VAR

The "elite" ref stuff can change too, get VAR refs in as a speciality, might speed it up, different set of qualifications and personalities too, fitness, ability to cope with the pressure, control players etc doesn't apply to a VAR ref

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean it was a penalty to be fair

Still don't see how Engels instigates the contact. He is down early and isn't near the ball, but their bloke makes the most of that.

We don't get that if it's reversed IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Still don't see how Engels instigates the contact. He is down early and isn't near the ball, but their bloke makes the most of that.

We don't get that if it's reversed IMO.

It was a clear foul. 

If it was reversed and we didn't get it we'd be absolutely livid about it, and rightly so.

• Like 3

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Then the rules are ****. He doesn't touch him until Berjwin (or whatever his stupid name is) is falling over.

Really?

Looks like he goes straight through him to me. And the only reason he eventually gets a but of the ball is because it's played into him.

It was a desperate lunge and he **** it. His first big mistake of the game.

The biggest issue for me today was the review on the handball against us

Play went on for maybe 90 seconds then went dead cos a corner or throw in or something and Atkinson stopped play so the review could take place and the announcer could tell the stadium

That's not how it should work 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Really?

Looks like he goes straight through him to me. And the only reason he eventually gets a but of the ball is because it's played into him.

It was a desperate lunge and he **** it. His first big mistake of the game.

I really don't see it that way. It looks like he's on his way down before there's any contact imo.

Just now, villa4europe said:

The biggest issue for me today was the review on the handball against us

Play went on for maybe 90 seconds then went dead cos a corner or throw in or something and Atkinson stopped play so the review could take place and the announcer could tell the stadium

That's not how it should work 

Imagine if we'd scored then he'd have gone back and given it?

And for me the pen is a massive grey area, going all the way back to the start of this thread that's why I didn't want VAR, there's no real right answer for it, there's contact before he wins the ball but bergwijn is leaning in to him also

There will absolutely no consistency with that type of tackle, 10 refs in 10 games will not give 10 penalties 

I'd be fuming if we didn't get it

Its yet another decision that makes a mockery of the grealish "dive" which had far more contact and worse contact (not to mention grealish actually played on post contact) 

Edit - straight through him wasn't how I saw it stevo, more gone to ground parallel to him because it gives the attacker nowhere to go, almost like a sliding block attempt rather than a sliding tackle, unfortunately for us I think Engels did make an attempt at the ball and didn't get it 

Edited by villa4europe

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And for me the pen is a massive grey area, going all the way back to the start of this thread that's why I didn't want VAR, there's no real right answer for it, there's contact before he wins the ball but bergwijn is leaning in to him also

There will absolutely no consistency with that type of tackle, 10 refs in 10 games will not give 10 penalties 

For me this is why it's essential that the same ref review his own decision. You're right that we'll never have consistency, but we could at least have consistency in the same 90 minutes. Letting someone else decide to overrule the ref.

The on field ref might have reviewed that and said something like "I can see why it was referred but I don't see it as a penalty"

Instead he's been overruled with no say in the matter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Edit - straight through him wasn't how I saw it stevo, more gone to ground parallel to him because it gives the attacker nowhere to go, almost like a sliding block attempt rather than a sliding tackle, unfortunately for us I think Engels did make an attempt at the ball and didn't get it 

"Straight through" might have been the wrong word. But he clearly makes significant contact with the Spurs player, both legs, before he's anywhere near the ball. To me it's a clear foul

Like you said, we'd be fuming if we didn't get that.

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

For me this is why it's essential that the same ref review his own decision. You're right that we'll never have consistency, but we could at least have consistency in the same 90 minutes. Letting someone else decide to overrule the ref.

The on field ref might have reviewed that and said something like "I can see why it was referred but I don't see it as a penalty"

Instead he's been overruled with no say in the matter.

The other problem with that is that today again Atkinson showed that he's a poor ref

Got 2 fairly easy corner decisions wrong (Grealish shot and guilbert tackle) and messed up yellow cards by trying too hard not to use them 

He had a general poor performance that can't be fixed with VAR 

I wouldnt trust him to make a correct decision 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Should have been checked, but that's not a penalty

Its the no check that bugs me. And frankly, I have no idea what a handball is anymore. Seams to depend on who you ask and what club is involved

• Like 1

Â