The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

just watched it again...i strongly disagree. the newcastle lad fell over, and kane quite deliberately leaned in to him as he was falling in order to look for the pen. the fact that kane ended up 2 yards to the LEFT of the ball from the direction he was running is somewhat of a back up to my argument. he was looking for it.

one of the biggest arguments against VAR was disrupting the flow of play. i guarantee if they were looking at the screen each time, people would soon get pissed off with it. for now it seems like it's just ticking along in the background, which for me is much better

which was the 2nd pen you're referring to?

Souness and Lescott said the same but Kane leaned over because he expected him there. But because he had gone down and swung himself in front of Kane he bought him down. 

But I guess the fact it’s being debated probably means it shouldn’t be given. 

Second one was the David Silva incident. 

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe the offside which again was millimetres and never would have been debated had the goal been given. 

Where do you draw the line?

What if it was a centimetre off? How about an inch? Inch and a half?

At some point it needs to be black and white, otherwise it's unfair on defenders trying to keep a line, and unfair if one team gets away with something another team doesn't. You may as well start the black and white with offside being offside. Otherwise there's really no point of the offside rule.

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Souness and Lescott said the same but Kane leaned over because he expected him there. But because he had gone down and swung himself in front of Kane he bought him down. 

But I guess the fact it’s being debated probably means it shouldn’t be given. 

Second one was the David Silva incident. 

a quick look around (cannot find the clip) and seems that everyone is split on this one too, with some out there indicating it was a dive. so far there have not been any absolute stone wall pens not given despite the review. which was the aim

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe the offside which again was millimetres and never would have been debated had the goal been given. 

At some point it needs to be black and white, otherwise it's unfair on defenders trying to keep a line, and unfair if one team gets away with something another team doesn't. You may as well start the black and white with offside being offside. Otherwise there's really no point of the offside rule.

I don't think the rule is perfect yet, but handball should be handball. I think the only debate in regards to handballs should be, if the defending team does it in their own box, whether it should be a penalty or indirect free kick. The idea that a team can score as a result of it hitting a players hand, and that's somehow seen as acceptable, is mad. That thought process needs to change more than the rule or VAR does.

24 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't think the rule is perfect yet, but handball should be handball. I think the only debate in regards to handballs should be, if the defending team does it in their own box, whether it should be a penalty or indirect free kick. The idea that a team can score as a result of it hitting a players hand, and that's somehow seen as acceptable, is mad. That thought process needs to change more than the rule or VAR does.

exactly. no one complained about goal line technology. you have the tech in place to enforce it, so why wouldnt you? OK it takes 30 seconds longer than GL technology but eventually it'll be instant i'm sure...and  within the next 5 years too

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Imagine how difficult goal line technology would be if the goalposts where moving all the time and there wasn't a goal line to measure from.

I suppose that's why they use 3D lines and it takes a little longer when doing offsides. God forbid it takes a a minute to decide a game changing incident! 

There's a bloke near me that always complains about decisions taking to long, making the game longer. If you hate being at the stadium so much, why even b other going?

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I suppose that's why they use 3D lines and it takes a little longer when doing offsides. God forbid it takes a a minute to decide a game changing incident! 

There's a bloke near me that always complains about decisions taking to long, making the game longer. If you hate being at the stadium so much, why even b other going?

Yeah I have no issue with it taking a bit longer. As long as you can see why.

The fans in the stadium are often left waiting in the dark while the important "fans", those watching on the telly get more insight into what is happening.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

a quick look around (cannot find the clip) and seems that everyone is split on this one too, with some out there indicating it was a dive. so far there have not been any absolute stone wall pens not given despite the review. which was the aim

The Norwich defender volleying Azpilicueta in the knee is baffling. As clear as you can get.

Watching Athletic Bilbao Real Soc. now and VAR really is beyond stupid. Fair enough it called a penalty call right and took it outside the box. That's fine and all, but I think they spent like 7-8 minutes in total looking at VAR. The players started warming up on the pitch. I literally got so bored I started folding some clothes from the dryer. 

On 19/08/2019 at 13:24, villa4europe said:

agree but at the same time I think the professionalism, especially with regards to the athleticism, is now way behind where it could and should be

how many people are working behind the scenes to put aston villa players out on the pitch? (how many are there for city...) and then how many are there for Martin Atkinson? he has fitness tests and assessments during the year, its still not the well paid full time job that it needs to be

it wouldn't bother me if Atkinson was a multi multi millionaire from being a ref, I just want him to be better, we jumped feet first in with technology rather than employing more people to help get it right, he should have a physio, a sports scientist, a nutritionist, the lot supporting him, definitely a psychologist 

They didn't need to jump straight in though they should have seeked advice from Rugby, who have been using the TMO for years and have gone through all the teething problems that football is going through right now. 

Total waste of **** money. One of the benefits of VAR is that it's supposed to cut down on controversies like this at the cost of slowing things down a bit but as this season so far has showed, it hasn't done that at all.

Need to take the stance of rugby....allow the play to continue until it stops then (in the case) ask the question 'Any reason not to award the goal?'  Then allow the VAR to either agree with the Ref's assessment or not!

• Like 1

Â