The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah but in this case, VAR had nothing to do with the decision. If it was implemented properly it would have overturned it, which it didn't because it's not...but that's a completely separate issue and one that's very much solvable. Can't see how you can improve the refereeing without just importing referees until a new, better-trained crop rise up.

Really have no idea. Training must be piss poor, salaries aren't great either relative to the stress they have on the job and how 'important' they are. Perhaps if the salaries were better you'd get smarter and more able people taking it up.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Surely when speaking of VAR you (I do at least) mean both the technology and the way it is implemented.

It's what's happening during the games that is what we are getting, not some best case scenario where ref's, the technology and the people reviewing the videos are working in perfect harmony with the gods.

The technology is nothing new, it's just the same replays that the fans on tv can see. It's all about the implementation. If you put a blind man as the VAR, the technology becomes useless. We need clearer rules and better officials to optimize the use of the video replays.

Just now, Keyblade said:

The technology is nothing new, it's just the same replays that the fans on tv can see. It's all about the implementation. If you put a blind man as the VAR, the technology becomes useless. We need clearer rules and better officials to optimize the use of the video replays.

Well yeah, but we don't have that.

This is the VAR we have

1 minute ago, sne said:

Well yeah, but we don't have that.

This is the VAR we have

It's just the same incompetent officials on the pitch, up at Stockley Park. As long as they keep being protected from scrutiny (by VAR itself as well ironically), we're not going anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Absolutely no point in this. Grealish with a great run and assist, loses balance in the process, pulled up for a 'dive'. If VAR isn't there to correct incompetence then there's absolutely no place for it.

I have defended VAR but i struggle to disagree with this point, if VAR didn't get involved with today's clear incorrect decision then there is no point in having it in the game at all. 

Disallowed goal DID go to VAR - reports

I’ve been told the controversial decision did go to VAR, according to players discussing the issue near the tunnel, meaning they officials must have agreed with Kevin Friend’s decision after playing it back. Both managers are yet to confirm whether the decision did, though.

this quote i copy and paste from birmingham mail - live. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-press-conference-qa-16845905 

(scroll down to 17.54)

I confused with this quote.. is it meant VAR agreed with Kevin Friends' Decision? What The...F..going on with this???

VAR should say No foul and No Diving but goal should stand.....

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

If this same decision was made a year ago, it's shit refs. Now it's VARs fault, somehow. 

Today's decision is the greatest possible advert and argument for VAR. 

But we already have VAR and it was a royal mess.

How do you mean?

1 minute ago, sne said:

But we already have VAR and it was a royal mess.

How do you mean?

Because referees clearly can't make decisions correctly. 

VAR will reduce the amount of clangers they inevitably make. 

Unfortunately the human element of VAR will always result in mistakes, but that's down to the people, not the tech. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Because referees clearly can't make decisions correctly. 

VAR will reduce the amount of clangers they inevitably make. 

Unfortunately the human element of VAR will always result in mistakes, but that's down to the people, not the tech. 

Well if what you mean is that video footage captures moving images that people can watch and make judgements from then sure. 

Issue being that it's the same refs that cant make decisions correctly on the field that are also watching the videos in the VAR room.

So yeah.

I'm all for capturing moving footage of football. Without it I would not have been able to watch the game today and see the horrible performance by our team and the ref. And the ref reviewing the VAR video.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Video Assistant Referee, how can VAR be good if the Video Assisting Referee is poor?

Because the assistance the video is giving the referee is better than his own view of the game? 

Therefore improving chances of decisions being correct. 

This VAR whinging is just giving the poor officials an excuse. Unfortunately it's a scapegoat to allow mediocre referees to continue performing at this level. 

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Because the assistance the video is giving the referee is better than his own view of the game? 

Therefore improving chances of decisions being correct. 

This VAR whinging is just giving the poor officials an excuse. Unfortunately it's a scapegoat to allow mediocre referees to continue performing at this level. 

That's the video, yeah, but VAR is the Video Assistant Referee. As in the guy watching the video.

And in the PL they've been told to not overturn the call on the field or to have the ref on the field watch the video for a second opinion because of time issues so doesn't really matter what the video shows.

Offsides the exception so far.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

In the PL it seems it isn't being used to overturn bad ref's decisions or mistakes, just to check borderline offsides.

The refs have basically conspired to create the Sports Ministry Of Truth.

It's a bunch of refs covering up for their mates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

That's the video, yeah, but VAR is the Video Assistant Referee. As in the guy watching the video.

And in the PL they've been told to not overturn the call on the field or to have the ref on the field watch the video for a second opinion because of time issues so doesn't really matter what the video shows.

Offsides the exception so far.

Yeah, these time whingers haven't helped matters. Want to get to the pub after the game 5 minutes quicker, it seems. 

32 minutes ago, Danny_Villaman84 said:

this quote i copy and paste from birmingham mail - live. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-press-conference-qa-16845905 

(scroll down to 17.54)

I confused with this quote.. is it meant VAR agreed with Kevin Friends' Decision? What The...F..going on with this???

VAR should say No foul and No Diving but goal should stand.....

VAR doesn't overrule the referee. It reviews and can make a recommendation to the referee in very specific circumstances, and it remains the referee's discretion whether to listen to it. Apart from offside where it has the ultimate decision.

It's possible that VAR didn't even review the incident, but if it did and didn't agree with Friend, then Friend could have ignored it.

Personally, I suspect it didn't look at it. The bar for VAR being used is very specific and very high, and an incorrect call for diving which ultimately lead to a goal being disallowed is not going to serious enough for VAR to look at.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

It's there to decide whether a player is an armpit hair offside and to defend the terrible decisions that referees make.

Exactly what we as fans wanted isn't it? 

Sort it out or get rid of it.

I mean, offside is still important and I'm glad that's sorted out. Armpit hair or not. Just like goal-line technology. It was needed.

Now if we can sort out the other bit. Getting VAR in place was already a big step. Now comes the hurdle of using it right. It's still in its infancy so I'll give it time. It's not detracting from the game so that's a good start. VAR or no VAR, today's farce for example was all down to Kevin Friend.

Â