The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Just now, maqroll said:

Fairly obvious penalty, not given by Mike Dean, reviewed by VAR, still not given. Honestly, what's the point?

So penalty not given by the ref, on this ocassion, the outcome was it was still not given. 

So what's the issue? Human error will always be a factor. VAR just limits it. As with above, VAR or not the decision would be the same. 

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

So penalty not given by the ref, on this ocassion, the outcome was it was still not given. 

So what's the issue? Human error will always be a factor. VAR just limits it. As with above, VAR or not the decision would be the same. 

Because while the penalty looked ambiguous in real time, the replays showed that it was pretty obvious.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I have concerns that having VAR is making referees veer towards not making a call and hoping VAR clears it up - but if they are working to a protocol that respects the on-field call in ambiguity then we might see more and more decisions most people don’t agree with.

has how umpiring has gone in cricket and standards have crashed

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

That Stokes lbw call does have interesting parallels.

wasnt really thinking of that but in the World Cup the umpires were absolute garbage/lazy in the hope the 3rd umpire would bail them out

• Like 1

There's no reason the technology shouldn't be a positive addition to the game, but I'm not seeing it so far this season. 

If these penalty incidents can be looked at and not given while goals are being ruled out for fractions of an inch of offside or an almost imperceptible handball, I think there's something very wrong with how it's being implemented. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i can see big changes happening during the international break because it is a bit farcical. Of the PL games I have watched so far I cant remember VAR actually doing anything. The Liverpool one yesterday was just bizarre

Skip the first 2 minutes and final half hour or so. This is a discussion of Premier League VAR implementation from someone who's been to the VAR facility and how is being used.

Basically, we're only looking at correct things that are absolutely clearly and unarguably missed by the ref, and stuff that is considered to be black and white, i.e. the current version of offside. And we're doing it this way for 2 reasons - to maintain the authority of the ref and to minimise time being used by VAR checks. So, basically our implementation of VAR is only going to pick up anal levels of offside and if the ref somehow misses someone committing absolutely blatant red card offences.

So it's kinda going to be a complete waste of time. Unless you're into knowing that the tip of the strikers nose is offside.

I suspect that VAR is either going to have lots implementation changed or we're going to see rule changes in time.

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

So it's kinda going to be a complete waste of time. Unless you're into knowing that the tip of the strikers nose is offside.

Yup, I think this weekend has demonstrated the flaws in the PL's approach perfectly.

If they're going to bother with this at all, they should be using it to its strengths and making it a useful tool for the refs, whereas it seems more like some sort of threat dangling over their heads.

Take the Man City penalty that should have been awarded. The message should be "Ok, you didn't have a great view, but he clearly trod on his foot, let's take advantage of the different angle and deliver the correct result" rather than them awarding the penalty being seen as "the ref really **** up". 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Foul on Kane looked a clear and obvious error to me. Not sure how VAR hasn’t given it?

Payback for Nicklas Helenius, shame it didn't benefit us this time either

Bildresultat för Nicklas Helenius

For me VAR is the technique, the refs using it and the implementation of it combined. And looking at the whole picture it is a mess.

If people wan't to claim that VAR is great, then fine. But that's just a dreamy hypothetical idea of how it could be if everything was working.

That's not the VAR we have.

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Because while the penalty looked ambiguous in real time, the replays showed that it was pretty obvious.

This. This is the exact situation that VAR was brought in for. Referees can miss things or misinterpret things in real time. That's where VAR steps in and corrects the decision. Can't be more blatantly obvious penalties on later viewing than that. In real time I thought it wasn't a pen/a dive. Then you look at the replay and it's such a clear foul. You can only imagine that they're too scared to undermine the refs. English officials seem to be such bottlers. Nothing has really changed from the Championship imo.

• Like 3

Dean didn't give the pen today because he was saying he couldn't make it out.

But then VAR is using "no penalty" as a starting point, which it shouldn't do if something is being thrown to it with the proviso of "I don't know". It should start from neutral, does it look a penalty or not. 

If Dean had given the pen, it wouldn't have overruled it. So it's a waste of time and being incorrectly used.

Refs can't not make a decision and let VAR do it because then VAR is only deciding is this so horrific I can overturn the decision of No foul.

I thought that pen was as obvious as it gets, with or without VAR.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

How do the Bundesliga use it? People have said it worked out there last season 

They're a machine-like people, so it was an easy adaptation.

😜

• Haha 1

Â