VillaTalk Deadpool 2018

Xela

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Didn't know this muso, but must have been some bass player to play with Rod Argent ! He was not the original bassist with The Kinks; that was Peter Quaife I think; we supported them at The Belfrey in (about ) 1970 - 'Lola' had just hit No 1 in the Top Twenty.

Pete Quaife left in 1969 - when you supported them the bass player would have been John Dalton. Jim Rodford took over in 1978 (after Argent, the band). He was back with Rod Argent in the reformed Zombies, when Chris White wasn't gigging. 

Edited by mjmooney

Yep , you are dead right (as usual). Just spoken to the guitarist who confirms Quaife had left and been replaced by another bassist + a keyboard player. It seems their roadie (a statuesque lady !!) was explaining to him why he had left. I remember that their PA was 200 watts !!! That was quite something back then; certain sections of the community have that in their car these days. It was a make none of us had heard of - GBX; Canadian I think. The Davis brothers didn't speak to us but the drummer (Mick Avory ?) was a decent bloke - but dropped a lot of drumsticks !!

10 minutes ago, veloman said:

Yep , you are dead right (as usual). Just spoken to the guitarist who confirms Quaife had left and been replaced by another bassist + a keyboard player. It seems their roadie (a statuesque lady !!) was explaining to him why he had left. I remember that their PA was 200 watts !!! That was quite something back then; certain sections of the community have that in their car these days. It was a make none of us had heard of - GBX; Canadian I think. The Davis brothers didn't speak to us but the drummer (Mick Avory ?) was a decent bloke - but dropped a lot of drumsticks !!

Yep, Mick Avory. By all accounts a nice bloke who had to put up with years of relentless bullying by Dave Davies. They had a fight on stage on at least one occasion. 

Edited by mjmooney

3 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Former England football captain, and Blackpool stalwart, Jimmy Armfield has died, aged 82.

Very very very sad news. My absolute favourite voice on the radio, and a man who was clearly just a gentleman and who loved the game. He read it very well throughout his life, and unlike certain other summarisers of his generation, or even later ones, he didn't constantly mispronounce the names of foreign players or spend all his time harrumphing that the world had gone down the toilet around the time of the advent of colour TV. Never met the bloke, but I will miss his voice very much. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Howard Lew Lewis has died. Known in the main as Elmo in Brush Strokes.

he was always Blag from Chelmsford 123 for me  ... quite an under rated show , always amazed how many people have never heard of it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He didn't look well. 

He kept his garden in good nick to be fair to him,  grass looks immaculate.  It must have been hard going out looking like that, the poor man.  At least he had his garden to keep his mind of his appearance and obvious serious skin complaint.  His eyes look a bit weird in that photo as well.

• Like 1