VillaTalk Deadpool 2018

Xela

Yeah, LeGuin was a major author. Basically a feminist/political SF writer ("The Left Hand of Darkness" and "The Disposessed" are both brilliant), she also had huge success with the "Earthsea" fantasy sagas for children (later anime-adapted by Studio Ghibli). 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, LeGuin was a major author. Basically a feminist/political SF writer ("The Left Hand of Darkness" and "The Disposessed" are both brilliant), she also had huge success with the "Earthsea" fantasy sagas for children (later anime-adapted by Studio Ghibli). 

The Earthsea books were the second set of books I read by free will (not as a school project) after Bilbo and The Lord of the Ring books as a kid.

(Might have read some of the Astrid Lindgren books before that as well I guess...)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Mark E. Smith gone, apparently. 

Topical as we mentioned it in another thread yesterday but Sky reported he quit his job in the Docks after seeing the Sex Pistols in 1976 .... a quick google suggests it as being the infamous “I was there “ gig ...

I once contributed to getting a support act booted off a Fall tour.

It was at the wulfun, support slot done  and the beastie boys happened to be playing next door at the civic. Used our AAA passes to watch them instead of the fall but before heading next door we liberated half/most of the falls rider and took it with us :) They were not amused upon arriving back in their dressing room

still got this 25 years later

fg1zXI1.jpg

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2018 at 12:20, leemond2008 said:

I realise that we should only be picking 5 people but one name on my list is down to wishful thinking more than anything else.

In the name of good taste I won't say which name that is.

Kirk Douglas
Clint Eastwood
Prince Phillip
James Corden 
Mark E Smith
Neil Young

This brings me no pleasure at all. I'll be having a Fall day tomorrow.

Only saw them once, Cant remember where it was now, I think it was at The Sactuary...was there an old club called The Institute? it might have been there.

I love the Rough Trade Anthology and Hex Education, I was only listening to them last week

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Topical as we mentioned it in another thread yesterday but Sky reported he quit his job in the Docks after seeing the Sex Pistols in 1976 .... a quick google suggests it as being the infamous “I was there “ gig ...

It was the second gig not the first one

49 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Smithy. Gutted. :(

"He is not appreciated"

Certainly not by me. The emperor's new clothes writ large, and the reason I finally lost faith in John Peel. Bag o'shite to these old ears. I guess I was born ten years  too soon. Still, rest in piece-ah, and all that. 

Edited by mjmooney

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I once contributed to getting a support act booted off a Fall tour.

It was at the wulfun, support slot done  and the beastie boys happened to be playing next door at the civic. Used our AAA passes to watch them instead of the fall but before heading next door we liberated half/most of the falls rider and took it with us :) They were not amused upon arriving back in their dressing room

I regularly liberated Mark and Brix's dressing room of amphetamines when they were onstage, one tour when I was managing a support band

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Certainly not by me. The emperor's new clothes writ large, and the reason I lost faith in John Peel. Bag o'shite. Still, rest in piece-ah, and all that. 

Yeah I can understand that. They certainly weren't for everyone.

I had listened to them for a while on the insistence of a friend and initially thought 'what the ****?'

Then, one day I was driving around in my old knackered mini and 'British People in Hot Weather' came on a compilation tape he'd (My mate) made for me.

And suddenly it all fell into place and I 'got' them. I was a fan after that and remain so to this day.

• Like 4