January transfer window 2018

Jareth

17 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

We aren't that good in the striker department. I think Kodjia will eventually find his form again, but just look at our strikers stats.

Top Goal scorers: Adomah (5), Hourihane (5), Onomah (2), Davis (2)

It's November and Davis is our highest scoring forward with 2 goals. 

We aren't that good in the attacking department but that's more to do with the coaching than the players. You don't commit men forward you don't score goals. Kodija not firing knackers Bruces tactics. 

After watching Villa over the last couple of games a midfielder who can actually retain the ball would be the only signing I’d make in January.

If I see Jedinak head the ball one more time to the opposition from the halfway line instead of trapping and laying it off to a team mate then I’m going to personally shave his beard off. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, striker said:

After watching Villa over the last couple of games a midfielder who can actually retain the ball would be the only signing I’d make in January.

If I see Jedinak head the ball one more time to the opposition from the halfway line instead of trapping and laying it off to a team mate then I’m going to personally shave his beard off. :)

Personally I think he’d eat you alive before you got anywhere near his beard. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, striker said:

What's the point of a midfielder who can retain the ball if it's going to fly over his head consistently, or if he'll have no one to pass to? Unless the playing style changes dramatically such a midfielder would be just as needed as Hogan. 

Grealish might do a little bit of that and add some dribbling and hopefully creating things, so he'd fill that need a bit better. Also, Kodjia starting to create goals out of nothing, like last season, would help a lot, otherwise a team that doesn't create much is bound to hit rocks along the way. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

What's the point of a midfielder who can retain the ball if it's going to fly over his head consistently, or if he'll have no one to pass to? Unless the playing style changes dramatically such a midfielder would be just as needed as Hogan. 

Grealish might do a little bit of that and add some dribbling and hopefully creating things, so he'd fill that need a bit better. Also, Kodjia starting to create goals out of nothing, like last season, would help a lot, otherwise a team that doesn't create much is bound to hit rocks along the way. 

Huh?

Are you suggesting we are a long ball team?

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Huh?

Are you suggesting we are a long ball team?

Admittedly, I haven't watched them too much this season but from what I've seen - no, not long ball, but they certainly don't play possession football and this seems by design not just inability. They're unable to keep the ball with short passes to feet and create much out of it even when a team sits back. Not that great at counter attacking either. 

13 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Admittedly, I haven't watched them too much this season but from what I've seen - no, not long ball, but they certainly don't play possession football and this seems by design not just inability. They're unable to keep the ball with short passes to feet and create much out of it even when a team sits back. Not that great at counter attacking either. 

We are a very rigid team and that's why we end up playing it long. Whelan has enabled us to play with 2 in CM and that's helped massively but I'd love us to get an energetic DM I think that's what we need to progress.  I'd like Bruce to try Lyden but there's no chance of that. I can't see us doing much in Jan as he likes he's old pros that he doesn't have to coach. 

Edited by dn1982
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Personally I think he’d eat you alive before you got anywhere near his beard. 

Haha probably right mate.

1 hour ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

The whole point of having such a midfielder is to be able to retain possession longer and not invite just as much pressure on the defence as good as it is at the moment. The amount of times misplaced passes given to the opposition from Villa midfielders is really starting to irritate me when composure on the ball would see Villa retain possession more.

Last night for instance against Preston heading the ball back to the opposition (particularly in the second half) like a game of ping pong instead of just controlling the ball with chest or trapping it, then passing to a team mate would probably have seen Villa win by more with less effort.

If Villa continue in the same vain with their fullbacks and wide men having to go up and down the touch line like a yo yo dictated by loss of possession then by the business end of the season the Villa squad will suffer too much from fatigue and injury.

28 minutes ago, striker said:

The whole point of having such a midfielder is to be able to retain possession longer and not invite just as much pressure on the defence as good as it is at the moment. The amount of times misplaced passes given to the opposition from Villa midfielders is really starting to irritate me when composure on the ball would see Villa retain possession more.

Last night for instance against Preston heading the ball back to the opposition (particularly in the second half) like a game of ping pong instead of just controlling the ball with chest or trapping it, then passing to a team mate would probably have seen Villa win by more with less effort.

If Villa continue in the same vain with their fullbacks and wide men having to go up and down the touch line like a yo yo dictated by loss of possession then by the business end of the season the Villa squad will suffer too much from fatigue and injury.

Strange as it sounds, according to stats from sites such as whoscored Villa are quite good at not losing the ball, at least compared to the other championship teams. Part of it could be explained by the low possession %, but still. 

3 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Strange as it sounds, according to stats from sites such as whoscored Villa are quite good at not losing the ball, at least compared to the other championship teams. Part of it could be explained by the low possession %, but still. 

Stats can be deceiving though depending on circumstance. Its only my opinion of course but i'd rather use my eyes and my eyes are telling me that Villa are giving the ball away too much. Don't know whether you saw the game against Preston but Bruce was screaming at the players in the early stages of the game to keep the ball and he has done this repeatedly in previous games.

Thats why I think Villa need someone like Gareth Barry just to sit in front of the defence to keep the ball as a calming influence. Jedinak can't do it, nor can Whelan. I'd give Jordan Lyden a chance. Better passer and more comfortable on the ball than Jedinak or Whelan but Bruce won't play him. Maybe Lansbury will improve things when he comes back from injury but he's played there before and been less than impressive.

So if Villa are to make any signings in January a more technical midfielder would be first on my list just to add more composure which in turn would take some pressure of the defence. 

I'd also like to see another target man come in on loan maybe just to give Davis a rest. Bamford maybe at Boro? Really don't think Villa need much more than that.

On 02/11/2017 at 19:53, Reivax_Villa said:

We need another striker on loan 

These players are struggling for game time right now

John Walters 

Charlie Austin

Leanardo Ulloa

I wouldn't say that Walters is an out and out striker, I'd take him though, I think you have made some good suggestions there 

46 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It has been said a million times but with the way we play, the way we look our strongest with Davis in the side...get Crouch in. Absolute no brainer for me.

Still has a decent role at Stoke but maybe he can be tempted.

Bruce wanted him in the summer but didn’t get him, I’m not sure others were so convinced.

100% need a new striker and central defender. 

Can strengthen elsewhere depending on if we can get rid of anyone. 

I would try and shift Hogan whilst he still has any kind of reputation as a professional football player left. 

Not sure we need another CB, Terry will be about ready to return late Jan. Would deffo offload Hogan and whoever else that hasn't featured at all though obviously that would generate pennies. We could definitely benefit from at least one decent experienced striker in place of Hogan and Mcormack. 

13 hours ago, av1 said:

I'd try for Aiden Flint (sp?). Definitely need a another CB. 

Doubt we could afford him nOw - I’d expect a loan or 2 in January to help us out rather than splashing cash 

Edited by Eastie

On 02/11/2017 at 19:53, Reivax_Villa said:

We need another striker on loan 

These players are struggling for game time right now

John Walters 

Charlie Austin

Leanardo Ulloa

We need a striker who can lead the line to take the pressure off playing Davis all season. 

Much more chance of Kodge being able to form a decent partnership with someone who can hold the ball up too.