January transfer window 2018

Jareth

29 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Its about building a good squad is my point. Adding to it rather than wholesale changes, your idea of just throwing money around making awful decisions is one of the reasons we are in out current position. We need a slow transition of adding 4 or 5 players a season and getting some stability back in our side. 

No one is talking of throwing money around but at the same time the wholesale changes will need to happen and balance has to be factored with quality definately needing added at the same time.

I believe that can happen without spending stupid lots of money ala. Sigurdsson £50m esq, as I firmly believe better quality is out there and for alot cheaper if done correctly.

• Like 1

It's all so in the balance. If we go up - we'll be allowed to spend. If we don't we'll be looking at a sizeable clear out imo.

Whilst the club needs to plan for every eventuality I'd worry about building a PL squad if and when it's applicable.

As for this window if the lad from Man Utd is coming in as CB cover I imagine we're waiting to see where/if Elphick is off.

We're obviously trying to court a striker and I'll be amazed if we don't bring one in on loan at least.

As for the likes of Bree, DeLaet, Bjarnason and Lansbury lets see what the next week has in store.

Snoddy, Johnstone, Onomah, will go

Terry might retire or not sign a new contract. Samba will also go.

Jedi and Whelan will IMO not have the legs to play in the PL, or maybe even the Championship next season.

Our best LB is Hutton :wacko: and he's finally out of contract, as i s Gabby.

We need a new #1 striker and competition on the flanks, but our offensive options are sorta fine if Green and Grealish can take another step. If they can...

We will likely need a new keeper, CB and improvements on both RB and LB. And new holding midfielder.

I make it 6-7 starting 11 players in, and even then we are relying on our youngsters to step up (something I'm very much for).

Thing is these changes will need to be done, to a lesser extent even if we are not promoted.

Big season this one, big season next season too.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Snoddy, Johnstone, Onomah, will go

Terry might retire or not sign a new contract. Samba will also go.

Jedi and Whelan will IMO not have the legs to play in the PL, or maybe even the Championship next season.

Our best LB is Hutton :wacko: and he's finally out of contract, as i s Gabby.

We need a new #1 striker and competition on the flanks, but our offensive options are sorta fine if Green and Grealish can take another step. If they can...

We will likely need a new keeper, CB and improvements on both RB and LB. And new holding midfielder.

I make it 6-7 starting 11 players in, and even then we are relying on our youngsters to step up (something I'm very much for).

Thing is these changes will need to be done, to a lesser extent even if we are not promoted.

Big season this one, big season next season too.

I would hope that we would go all out to try and keep Johnstone & Snodgrass.

But worried about an extra CB & Midfield - I think Grealish will benefit from a consistent manager & game time so think he will be ok. Green I'm not sure on yet. 

RB & LB will need an upgrade but not a priority I think

1 minute ago, Bomvilla7 said:

I would hope that we would go all out to try and keep Johnstone & Snodgrass.

But worried about an extra CB & Midfield - I think Grealish will benefit from a consistent manager & game time so think he will be ok. Green I'm not sure on yet. 

RB & LB will need an upgrade but not a priority I think

Going into the PL with Elmo and Taylor (or Hutton, De Laet, Bree, Richards...) as our wide backs would be suicide IMO

If'we're not promoted I fear we'll be priced out of Snoddy and Johnstone, if we are promoted we should aim higher.

For what it's worth, this is what our squad could potentially look like come June after contract expirys and loans ending etc.

Steer

De Laet, Bree, Richards, Chester, Elmohammady, Elphick, Green, Suliman, Taylor.

Adomah, Thishbola, Lansbury, Jedinak, Whelen, Lyden, Grealish, Hourihane, Gardner, Bjarnasson,, O'Hare,

Hogan, McCormack, Davis, Kodja, Hepburn-Murphy.

That is the squad we could be left with technically come June 2018 if we are promoted.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, villaglint said:

Word to the wise @HanoiVillan do not write the words bomb vest on the Internet.

Oh shhhhhiiii......

Dont worry. The powers that be will be focused on those  internet forums which are full of crazy, partisan lunatics spouting messages of anger and bitterness and with an obvious disdain for authority and those in charge................

uh-oh

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

For what it's worth, this is what our squad could potentially look like come June after contract expirys and loans ending etc.

Steer

De Laet, Bree, Richards, Chester, Elmohammady, Elphick, Green, Suliman, Taylor.

Adomah, Thishbola, Lansbury, Jedinak, Whelen, Lyden, Grealish, Hourihane, Gardner, Bjarnasson,, O'Hare,

Hogan, McCormack, Davis, Kodja, Hepburn-Murphy.

That is the squad we could be left with technically come June 2018 if we are promoted.

TBH thats only 2-3 players from being good for a promotion challenge

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If we go up I'm almost certain we will instantly sign Snodgrass and Johnstone for continuity. 

I've no idea what happens if we don't go up. More loans I expect and I imagine we would try for Snodders again at least. No idea how it will shake down.

Failure to go up and I think snodgrass would be out of our reach financially , I’m hoping we have a clause to sign him for an agreed fee based on promotion .

if we are still in this league I’d expect more of the young lads to figure next season and some high profile departures . 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we go up there will be complete overhaul similar to when Watford came up. At least 10 signings. Whoever the manager is he will have the biggest challenge he would have ever faced. 

As long as the majority of players are signed for the start of preseason it shouldn’t matter. Getting a proven PL goalscorer should be first priority. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

As long as the majority of players are signed for the start of preseason it shouldn’t matter. Getting a proven PL goalscorer should be first priority. 

That would cost our whole kitty. I think the majority of signings will come from abroad. Risky but only way to find value.