World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

USA :o  :o

That is unbelievable.  Mental set of results for that to happen.  FIFA are crying into their advertising portfolio this morning.  Either that or looking for anything that could deem a Trinidad or Panama player ineligible.  Russia probably laughing their tits off too.

FIFA and the companies sponsoring will no doubt turn every stone to find a way to get USA into the tournament. Sure FOX will be pretty stressed over the money they spent on the TV rights.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

FIFA and the companies sponsoring will no doubt turn every stone to find a way to get USA into the tournament. Sure FOX will be pretty stressed over the money they spent on the TV rights.

It's the worst possible outcome for them.  Probably as bad as Brazil missing out.  I feel sorry for our American pals not having their side in the finals, but from a commercial perspective it's **** hilarious on FIFA.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Hardly a major football nation though Chris. Not like the Netherlands. I'm pleased Argentina have made it. Messi pretty much carries Barcelona and Argentina now

They haven't missed a world cup since 1986 (o.k hosted it in 1994) and have made at least the last 16 in 3 out of the last 4 tournaments. Last World cup they finished above Portugal in the groups.

O.k they're not a favourite to win but they're a world cup regular so to me it's a shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=qWqegVx7nwQ

What making the world cup meant to Panama. Think their president just said feck it and gave the nation a national holiday today. Maybe Trent could be persuaded if that happened here. :cheers:

Quite happy for them given the circumstances on how they missed out in 2013 but how on earth was that first goal given?! Nowhere near going over the line.:lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It's the worst possible outcome for them.  Probably as bad as Brazil missing out.  I feel sorry for our American pals not having their side in the finals, but from a commercial perspective it's **** hilarious on FIFA.

Must have been down to Russian hackers!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

piss-poor sides like Costa Rica

:huh: Are you shrooming, sir? :P They may be traditionally unfashionable, but they're far from a piss-poor side.

531624e10b68c71a25802f7ad6724eb4.png

As to the broader point of representation versus quality, I think the intent is to try and have both.  Obviously you want the finals to contain the best teams, whilst trying to encourage the game in developing nations.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Quite happy for them given the circumstances on how they missed out in 2013 but how on earth was that first goal given?! Nowhere near going over the line.:lol:

Seriously, is there a case for match fixing here?  That goal is ridiculous.  I'm not even sure any part of the ball has touched the pitch-side of the line let alone crossed it.  There's no way the linesman or referee can possibly see anything through that melee, either.

If I were USA, I'd be absolutely fuming.  Of course, it was down to them to win etc. but that's a ludicrous goal to, essentially, decide who goes to the World Cup, for **** sake.

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Seriously, is there a case for match fixing here? 

Match fixing? All the USA had to do was go to Trinidad & Tobago - who had lost 8 of their previous 9 qualifiers - and not lose. Nobody to blame but themselves.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Match fixing? All the USA had to do was go to Trinidad & Tobago - who had lost 8 of their previous 9 qualifiers - and not lose. Nobody to blame but themselves.

100% true, useless performance from a team devoid of any attacking panache, bar one guy (pulisic) they couldn't leave out (7 goals, 7 assists, in last 14 games)

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They haven't missed a world cup since 1986 (o.k hosted it in 1994) and have made at least the last 16 in 3 out of the last 4 tournaments. Last World cup they finished above Portugal in the groups.

O.k they're not a favourite to win but they're a world cup regular so to me it's a shock.

Yes they have but Soccer is way down the pecking order in their sports. Although it has grown is recent years with the mls. I just remembering being over there during a world cup in 2002 and nobody knew it was going on or even cared. Not like Argentina, Holland or other countries who have a real passion about the sport. 

28 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

I agree - I said as much.  But still...

1 hour ago, BOF said:

:huh: Are you shrooming, sir? :P They may be traditionally unfashionable, but they're far from a piss-poor side.

531624e10b68c71a25802f7ad6724eb4.png

Fair enough re Costa Rica. I did mention that they performed well at they last World Cup, just feel there's no way they'd qualify from CONMEBOL over 18 games. They've come 2nd in their federation though, so it's moot and they definitely deserve their spot!

59 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Whilst that's true it is also totally irrelevant. That first goal absolutely needs to be investigated because it seems quite clear that the officials were on the take and that has huge implications for football in that region. USA slipping up does NOT mean that the Panama goal is any less dodgy and shouldn't be looked in to.

Edited by One For The Road

How is goal line technology not required in WC qualifiers? Surely FIFA can afford to install it in all of the National stadiums? Poland also had a goal not given that was way over the line like Lampard’s goal, though that one didn’t matter in the end.

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Does anyone use the name Czechia?

Wasn't it lodged with the UN as what the Czech Republic wanted to be called as their everyday name?

Sorry, not football related at all! 

No one uses Czechia. I hate how it says that on here

So it seems Panama's first goal was not even a goal. If goal line technology ever need financial backing, here it is. Not only is fifa going to lose a crazy amount of money with no USA at the world cup, but also loads of American companies are now weeping because of it. 

Completely ignoring how shit USA was yesterday, it's crazy that Panama gets to go to the world cup over a bad call.  

Â