World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

1 minute ago, MrDuck said:

Yeah, but it's not about the best teams, it's about getting world representation.

That's fair, I'm possibly being greedy and showing my preference for watching the best players on show. On the other hand, Oceania gets no automatic qualification berth and the 100+ countries of Africa and Asia only get 9 places between them, so I'm not sure it is about getting a representative sample.

4 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

USA deserve a special mention too. Panama are currently pushing for a goal that would put USA 5th (!!!) in CONCACAF. Suddenly doesn't seem like Klinsmann was the issue!

Would be a shame to see Pulisic miss out, he carries US like Messi does. Rest of the team are abysmal. Tim Howard can barely dive and Michael Bradley can barely pass.

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

On the other hand, Oceania gets no automatic qualification berth

Which is disgraceful, especially considering the increased places now on offer.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Panama have scored, U.S don't make play off as it stands.

Incredible really, I've watched a decent amount of this CONCACAF group stage, and the standard is so poor it's a real indictment of USA. Credit to those qualifying, but Costa Rica, Panama and possibly Honduras should be real cannon fodder next summer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Incredible really, I've watched a decent amount of this CONCACAF group stage, and the standard is so poor it's a real indictment of USA. Credit to those qualifying, but Costa Rica, Panama and possibly Honduras should be real cannon fodder next summer.

All I would say though to that is Concaaf teams do usually make an impact at world cups. Mexico and U.S (although not anymore) are usually last 16 regulars and Costa Rica were the story of last world cup so I'd argue they justify their places much more than African teams do as they have been terrible at world cups bar Ghana.

Oceania is a difficult one as you're talking minnows aside from New Zealand. Remember Tahiti at the confed cup?

Given Australia moved they probably should just merge the two and give them an extra spot. It would improve New Zealand regularly playing Japan and South Korea rather than just getting an automatic place every time.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

All I would say though to that is Concaaf teams do usually make an impact at world cups. Mexico and U.S (although not anymore) are usually last 16 regulars and Costa Rica were the story of last world cup so I'd argue they justify their places much more than African teams do as they have been terrible at world cups bar Ghana.

Oceania is a difficult one as you're talking minnows aside from New Zealand. Remember Tahiti at the confed cup?

Given Australia moved they probably should just merge the two and give them an extra spot. It would improve New Zealand regularly playing Japan and South Korea rather than just getting an automatic place every time.

Yeah, agree on Oceania merging. Don't think NZ would deserve a place just for beating Fiji et al! Costa Rica did well at the last WC but Honduras were the worst team at the tournament, and I reckon Panama will be challenging for the wooden spoon this time. Don't get me wrong, it's great for them to experience such a global event. I'd just probably take one automatic spot from CONCACAF, and give it to CONMEBOL, given the disparity in quality between the 2 federations.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

New Zealand are worth a spot. They did alright in 2010,  drew all 3 group games and finished above Italy!

5 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

New Zealand are worth a spot. They did alright in 2010,  drew all 3 group games and finished above Italy!

Yes in tournament they did. Mexico hammered them in the 2014 play offs and they were poor in the Confed cup this summer.

At least Peru-New Zealand will be an interesting play off and not a formality if they were playing Colombia, Chile or Argentina.

Wow. Last thing I expected to read this morning was that the USA had failed to beat Trinidad and Tobago. Panama qualify then along with Uruguay, Argentina and Colombia. 9 more places to determine. 3 more in Africa and the 6 play off winners. 2 of which we know and the 4 UEFA matches yet to be drawn.

New Zealand v Peru
Australia v Honduras

9-11 November: Play-off first legs 12-14 November: Play-off second legs

USA :o  :o

That is unbelievable.  Mental set of results for that to happen.  FIFA are crying into their advertising portfolio this morning.  Either that or looking for anything that could deem a Trinidad or Panama player ineligible.  Russia probably laughing their tits off too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I knew they'd be a major nation to miss out....U.S.A out of World cup.

First World cup they've missed since 1986 I believe.

Panama go through automatically. Honduras in play offs. Think Australia will be o.k playing them.

Hardly a major football nation though Chris. Not like the Netherlands. I'm pleased Argentina have made it. Messi pretty much carries Barcelona and Argentina now

• Like 1

Â