World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes they have but Soccer is way down the pecking order in their sports. Although it has grown is recent years with the mls. I just remembering being over there during a world cup in 2002 and nobody knew it was going on or even cared. Not like Argentina, Holland or other countries who have a real passion about the sport. 

Many countries who've qualified for this don't have Football as their number one, didn't U.S have big viewing figures for their run in 2014?

First world cup they haven't qualified for in my lifetime. Holland actually didn't make it in 2002 and of course didn't make it to last euros so I've got used to them not making tournaments.

What would top it all would be Italy not making it through the play offs, there's a nation that bleeds football and World cup wouldn't be the same without shirt tugging in the penalty area when defending a corner from them.

Edited by VillaChris

I was  flicking through the games and in a bit of a zombie state (it was nearly 3am) so I actually thought the dispute was whether the Panama player had handled as it looked like it when he was on the ground trying to get the ball in.

Replays showed he was actually tugged back as he was about to tap it in which caused him to fall so correct outcome would've been goal cancelled and Panama given a penalty. Could still have missed but I think it will be a futile attempt by the U.S considering ROI couldn't get the France game replayed eight years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Many countries who've qualified for this don't have Football as their number one, didn't U.S have big viewing figures for their run in 2014?

First world cup they haven't qualified for in my lifetime. Holland actually didn't make it in 2002 and of course didn't make it to last euros so I've got used to them not making tournaments.

What would top it all would be Italy not making it through the play offs, there's a nation that bleeds football and World cup wouldn't be the same without shirt tugging in the penalty area when defending a corner.

Yes Chris fair points. Of course me going back to the 70s I can remember USA never making it to the finals except for one world cup in the 50s when they famously beat England. Guess its what part of USA you go to us as well. Salt Lake City was hardly a hot bed of football then, although since then Real salt Lake were formed. I did meet a girl there though who was a West Brom fan lol. 

The thing about USA they haven't produced any great footballers have they. Landon Donovan is he their best ever player? I wouldn't miss Italy. Al I want is England to do well and for Messi to have great world cup. He needs that on his cv to be classed as the greatest ever because unless he does that Pele is the greatest for me. 

They've actually got a top young player in Pulisic. Scored a great goal last night and was brilliant when they beat Panama 4-0. He will probably be best U.S.A player ever as he's starting to take on a bigger role at Dortmund.

Think we'll see him in the premier league next 2-3 years/

16 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

The US team is actually pretty good. A lot of their players play in the top leagues which makes this even more embarrassing for them.

Most of them are way past their best.

Michael Bradley was an embarrasment last night, he's regressed so much since he left Seria A where he was a good player. Left europe far too soon.

Howard and Guzan are terrible in goal nowadays.

DeAndre Yedlin- bog standard premier league player.

Dempsey is past his best.

Altidore is Altidore.

Bobby Wood is that Shane Long type. Decent hold up play and works hard but dosen't really score many goals.5 a season for Hamburg.

That was half their team last night. I don't know many of the MLS players. DaMarcus Beasley is still getting called up, must be nearly 40 now.

Edited by VillaChris

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Seriously, is there a case for match fixing here?  That goal is ridiculous.  I'm not even sure any part of the ball has touched the pitch-side of the line let alone crossed it.  There's no way the linesman or referee can possibly see anything through that melee, either.

If I were USA, I'd be absolutely fuming.  Of course, it was down to them to win etc. but that's a ludicrous goal to, essentially, decide who goes to the World Cup, for **** sake.

If France were not made to replay the game when the Irish were robbed by Henry then why should this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If France were not made to replay the game when the Irish were robbed by Henry then why should this?

Where have I said the game should be replayed?

(This decision is about a billion times worse than the Henry handball thing, for what it's worth).

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Most of them are way past their best.

Michael Bradley was an embarrasment last night, he's regressed so much since he left Seria A where he was a good player. Left europe far too soon.

Howard and Guzan are terrible in goal nowadays.

DeAndre Yedlin- bog standard premier league player.

Dempsey is past his best.

Altidore is Altidore.

Bobby Wood is that Shane Long type. Decent hold up play and works hard but dosen't really score many goals.5 a season for Hamburg.

That was half their team last night. I don't know many of the MLS players. DaMarcus Beasley is still getting called up, must be nearly 40 now.

They still have Pulisic, Cameron, Brooks, Chandler, Johnson, Yedlin, etc. Plus being a bang average Bundesliga/Premier league player is more than enough to get you to the world cup. Look at Iceland, their team is basically just 1 pretty good player with a bunch of subpar players who play in weak leagues, but they made it. A lot of the players who play for these Concacaf nations are only considered semi pro and a lot of them play in their nations home league or in the 2nd or 3rd divisions of America. 

Honestly America should be able to qualify at minimum in 3rd or 4th each time with their C or D team because at least all of them are professional players.  

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

Where have I said the game should be replayed?

(This decision is about a billion times worse than the Henry handball thing, for what it's worth).

In your post you allude to match fixing therefore if that were the case the game would have to be replayed! My point is if they wouldnt replay or look into thw blatent cheating by henry they wont so anytging here.

5 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Not that the federations would agree to it but I think there's a pretty good argument for merging Ocenaia into Asia somehow and merging the Americas into 1 qualifying zone.

I meant to comment on this when it got brought up a couple of days ago, on this thread or another, but I forgot. 

The problem with merging Oceania and Asia is that we're dealing with poor countries. Do Laos and Bhutan have the resources to keep jetting off to the South Pacific for away games? Do Tonga and Tuvalu have the funds to fly to the UAE and Lebanon for theirs? 

One way of getting around it might be considering New Zealand as an Asian team full stop, and of having a pre-qualifying tournament among the Pacific islands in which the best one or two sides joined Asian qualifying at the lowest level and travel or logistical expenses were supported by FIFA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I meant to comment on this when it got brought up a couple of days ago, on this thread or another, but I forgot. 

The problem with merging Oceania and Asia is that we're dealing with poor countries. Do Laos and Bhutan have the resources to keep jetting off to the South Pacific for away games? Do Tonga and Tuvalu have the funds to fly to the UAE and Lebanon for theirs? 

One way of getting around it might be considering New Zealand as an Asian team full stop, and of having a pre-qualifying tournament among the Pacific islands in which the best one or two sides joined Asian qualifying at the lowest level and travel or logistical expenses were supported by FIFA. 

There are 2 rounds of qualifying in Asia - Pool qualifying, then the top two from each pool go into the next round. It would be easy enough to add the top 2 from Oceania qualifying into that second round mix with the extra half-place from each team making up one extra spot and doing away with the playoff v Sth/Central america. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

merging the Americas into 1 qualifying zone.

That would be quite humourous when 8 South American teams end up qualifying for the following world cup :)  :P

Yes I know Mehico would have a decent chance.  I was only being funny you f**kers.

Footage of Falcao communicating other results to opponents on the pitch.  I can't help feeling that the other countries probably don't like the USAMNTLMNOP and deliberately set their results up in such a way that if the USA ballsed it up against Trinidad then they were definitely out.  It still needed them to do it, but they were gonners if they did.

1 hour ago, Ponky said:

There are 2 rounds of qualifying in Asia - Pool qualifying, then the top two from each pool go into the next round. It would be easy enough to add the top 2 from Oceania qualifying into that second round mix with the extra half-place from each team making up one extra spot and doing away with the playoff v Sth/Central america. 

Yeah, something like this is what I meant. The strongest Pacific islands at least wouldn't be thrashed by the likes of Laos and Mongolia. 

24 minutes ago, BOF said:

Footage of Falcao communicating other results to opponents on the pitch.  I can't help feeling that the other countries probably don't like the USAMNTLMNOP and deliberately set their results up in such a way that if the USA ballsed it up against Trinidad then they were definitely out.  It still needed them to do it, but they were gonners if they did.

I still think the chances of US ballsing it up probably wouldnt even enter other teams minds. Odds on them losing were too big

Bit like Lampard goal vs Germany, its an excuse for a dreadful performanxe

Â