World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

So this is cute.

tim-cahill-tripadeal-instagram.jpg

Cahill getting payed by some travel company to make a special goal celebration.

Having just scored a goal who takes them through to the next round with the Syrian players crying on the pitch...

Love of the game and all that.

• Like 2

So I think the updated UEFA coefficients have Switzerland (7), Italy (8), Croatia (11) and Sweden (17) then who will be seeded and Republic of Ireland (19), Northern Ireland (21), Denmark (22) and Greece (29) who will not for the UEFA draw.

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I still think the chances of US ballsing it up probably wouldnt even enter other teams minds. Odds on them losing were too big

Doesn't matter.  You do what you can and then hope.  And it worked. Odds be damned.

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

So I think the updated UEFA coefficients have Switzerland (7), Italy (8), Croatia (11) and Sweden (17) then who will be seeded and Republic of Ireland (19), Northern Ireland (21), Denmark (22) and Greece (29) who will not for the UEFA draw.

p04tjjlz.jpg

??

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

p04tjjlz.jpg

??

apologies :) UEFA.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/50/91/84/2509184_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Just trying to get my head round the nations league and there was a link to that among this sentence on this page by here.

The 55 participating teams were split according to their position in the UEFA National Team Coefficient Rankings following the end of the European Qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (as per 11 October 2017; play-off results will not be included).

http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2507364.html#/

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Czechlad said:

They still have Pulisic, Cameron, Brooks, Chandler, Johnson, Yedlin, etc. Plus being a bang average Bundesliga/Premier league player is more than enough to get you to the world cup. Look at Iceland, their team is basically just 1 pretty good player with a bunch of subpar players who play in weak leagues, but they made it. A lot of the players who play for these Concacaf nations are only considered semi pro and a lot of them play in their nations home league or in the 2nd or 3rd divisions of America. 

Honestly America should be able to qualify at minimum in 3rd or 4th each time with their C or D team because at least all of them are professional players.  

I agree with the qualifying bit but most of those are bang average, Cameron is a squad player at Stoke, same for Yedlin at Newcastle. Bundesliga players are o.k but they must've been injured as none of them were in the squad.

U.S.A squad isn't much better than Costa Rica who have Real Madrid's starting keeper and also likes of Bryan Ovideo,Borges, Bryan Ruiz and Joel Campbell who have all had solid careers in europe.

U.S.A had a better squad in 2010 imo. Likes of Howard, Bradley, Dempsey were all at their peaks then and Landon Donovan was still around. They underachieved in that world cup.

Think they have a similar problem to Holland, not enough of those players in the 23-27 range has stepped up. What happened to Julian Green? Scored v Belgium and was at Bayern Munich but don't have a clue who he plays for now.

14 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I meant to comment on this when it got brought up a couple of days ago, on this thread or another, but I forgot. 

The problem with merging Oceania and Asia is that we're dealing with poor countries. Do Laos and Bhutan have the resources to keep jetting off to the South Pacific for away games? Do Tonga and Tuvalu have the funds to fly to the UAE and Lebanon for theirs? 

One way of getting around it might be considering New Zealand as an Asian team full stop, and of having a pre-qualifying tournament among the Pacific islands in which the best one or two sides joined Asian qualifying at the lowest level and travel or logistical expenses were supported by FIFA. 

I think it would work better if you keep Oceania qualifiers as it is but play it a year earlier. New Zealand win it and then join one of the two six team groups Asia has for the 4/5 qualifiers.

Don't mess with Commebol as to me that's the best quality and most dramatic qualifying around. (Although of course the 48 team world cup will dilute that). I know Concaaf gets stick as it obviously dosen't have huge depth (need Jamaica and especially Canada to finally get a decent team again) but I've said before most world cups their teams do actually make impacts on world cups unlike African and Asian teams most of the time so I think they justify the 3 automatic places if not the play off.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOF said:

Footage of Falcao communicating other results to opponents on the pitch.  I can't help feeling that the other countries probably don't like the USAMNTLMNOP and deliberately set their results up in such a way that if the USA ballsed it up against Trinidad then they were definitely out.  It still needed them to do it, but they were gonners if they did.

That was Colombia-Peru. I doubt they agreed a draw beforehand but we've seen it many times over here when teams are in relegation battles and they play out draws when it's beneficial for them and the opponent with about five minutes left.

When Man. United won the title in 2011 at Blackburn they basically just passed the ball around for 5 minutes at the end without any pressure as draw suited Blackburn (there's a video of it on Youtube).

The funny thing is in 2013 Mexico were in the exact same position as U.S. Lost their game at Costa Rica and were fifth so weren't even in their play off spot. However U.S.A in their wisdom scored two injury time goals in Panama and turned 2-1 defeat into 3-2 win and Panama lost out and Mexico were reprieved.

I did think at the time if the boot was on the other foot there was no way that Mexico would lift a leg to help the U.S and here we are.

11 hours ago, sne said:

So this is cute.

Having just scored a goal who takes them through to the next round with the Syrian players crying on the pitch...

As you can see there it has only had 115 likes, so barely any recognition or reception at all... until it's hit the news cycle and now the company are getting exactly what they paid for.

Still disappointing from Timmy, hard to think of an Australian player who has done better out of the game financially than him.

19 hours ago, sne said:

So this is cute.

Disappointing and embarrassing. Bringing Australian sport to a new level in tackiness.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:
3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Croatia or sweden for us greeks please.  I know we will end up with italy :bang:

Cant play Sweden

In order of preference for me any way.

Denmark
Switzerland
Croatia
Italy

Depends what side of the bed the Croatia 11 get out of but they are more talented than Italy.

Don't ROI have a decent record against the Azzurri? Euros last year (albeit an Italian B team) and the famous USA 94 game.

I think it would be an intriguing two games and pretty tight. The problem would be just like Argentina it's unthinkable Italy would mess a world cup and they'd make it somehow.

Danger ROI would play the nation rather then the team actually on the pitch.Italy are nothing special once you get past the defence.

Edited by VillaChris

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Depends what side of the bed the Croatia 11 get out of but they are more talented than Italy.

Don't ROI have a decent record against the Azzurri? Euros last year (albeit an Italian B team) and the famous USA 94 game.

I think it would be an intriguing two games and pretty tight. The problem would be just like Argentina it's unthinkable Italy would mess a world cup and they'd make it somehow.

Danger ROI would play the nation rather then the team actually on the pitch.Italy are nothing special once you get past the defence.

Italy do what's required, so I think they'll make it by hook or by crook.  The crook in this case could be the ref under instruction, so you don't want Italy.  Well I don't any way. Croatia I agree are very dangerous.  They're all good in fairness.  That's why they're seeded.  TBH I don't think they'll fancy playing us out of the non-seeds.

• Like 1

Â