World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Twitter slating Syria.  Has them up for most academy awards, time wasting, anti-everything.

Down to 10-men in a one-off match to enable World Cup qualification...

...yeah, I'd be rolling out all the time wasting too.  This would be an incredible **** up by the Aussies.  More ridiculous than all the other ridiculous things seen at International level (Iceland beating England, Wales beating Belgium etc) recently.

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Down to 10-men in a one-off match to enable World Cup qualification...

...yeah, I'd be rolling out all the time wasting too.  This would be an incredible **** up by the Aussies.  More ridiculous than all the other ridiculous things seen at International level (Iceland beating England, Wales beating Belgium etc) recently.

No way would Syria beating Oz be worse than England losing to Iceland. It would be a shock result for sure but that England game was something else.

Edited by One For The Road

8 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

No way would Syria beating Oz be worse than England losing to Iceland. It would be a shock result for sure but that England game was something else.

Iceland beating England was a shock, but I'm pretty sure they're a team of entirely professional footballers playing in Europe.  Syria are anything but.  Over 2 legs, the Australian side should crush them.  It would be a huge upset.

Of course, it's 2-1 and everything is rosey now :D

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Iceland beating England was a shock, but I'm pretty sure they're a team of entirely professional footballers playing in Europe.  Syria are anything but.  Over 2 legs, the Australian side should crush them.  It would be a huge upset.

Of course, it's 2-1 and everything is rosey now :D

For a country the size of England, and a team full of 100k a week Premier League players to lose to a country with the population of Coventry in their first ever tournament will never be topped.

Edited by One For The Road

Just now, One For The Road said:

For a country the size of England, full of 100k a week Premier League players to lose to a country with the population of Coventry in their first ever tournament will never be topped.

It won't - because Australia are winning.

26 minutes ago, legov said:

Awful commentator.

Yup.

Talking up Syria as if Australia was playing Brazil, and siding with the referees despite the bleeding obvious from the replays.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Was in  98 when an El Tel led Australia lost to Iran in the final play off game?

97. And it was 2-2 in the end with Iran going through on away goals. But yeah. That was a far superior Aussie team back then though. 

I didn't see it but saw the first leg and thought Syria had some good technical players. Australian league is probably of lower standard than our National league and the fact they are still reliant on Tim Cahill shows where they are right now. 

I think Cahill's persistence in the national team is more to do with the lack of strikers coming through. With the likes of Mooy, Irvine, Leckie, Luongo, Rogic and Jedinak when fit we have a pretty competitive midfield, but we really lack players who can stick the ball in the net on a consistent basis. Hence 25-odd shots to 6 tonight to barely scrape a 2-1 win. We had 45 shots against Thailand and only scored twice. 

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Why do Australia always make everything so difficult for themselves?
Even dating back to the 2000s golden generation.

Drawing with Syria over 2 legs ffs.

Syria aren't actually that bad a side. They drew with Iran and South Korea in the normal group.

Didn't see the game but sounds like they had a right go, hit the post with a free kick in the last minute of extra time.

From what I saw of Panama against the US Australia will have a more comfortable play off against them.

What on earth are they going to do when Tim Cahill finally retires though. Nearly 40 and still their only outfield player with a top level mentality.

So France and Portugal qualify. Sweden and Switzerland join Greece in the play offs.

A: 1st - France     - Play offs - Sweden
B: 1st - Portugal  - Play offs - Switzerland
C: 1st - Germany - Play offs - Northern Ireland
D: 1st - Serbia      - Play offs - Republic of Ireland
E: 1st - Poland     - Play offs - Denmark 
F: 1st - England   - 2nd place - Slovakia
G: 1st - Spain       - Play offs - Italy
H: 1st - Belgium  - Play offs - Greece
I : 1st - Iceland    - Play offs - Croatia

Slovakia miss out. Over to you CONMEBOL and CONCACAF.

I can't believe Switzerland literally only lost 1 match and are not guaranteed to go to the world cup.

Also sad Slovakia missed out. Yet another world cup with no Czechs. We need to get the gang back together and make Czechoslovakia a thing again. 

Edited by Czechlad

34 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I can't believe Switzerland literally only lost 1 match and are not guaranteed to go to the world cup.

Also sad Slovakia missed out. Yet another world cup with no Czechs. We need to get the gang back together and make Czechoslovakia a thing again. 

Does anyone use the name Czechia?

Wasn't it lodged with the UN as what the Czech Republic wanted to be called as their everyday name?

Sorry, not football related at all! 

Edited by Xela

Â