World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

7 hours ago, Ponky said:

I think Cahill's persistence in the national team is more to do with the lack of strikers coming through. With the likes of Mooy, Irvine, Leckie, Luongo, Rogic and Jedinak when fit we have a pretty competitive midfield, but we really lack players who can stick the ball in the net on a consistent basis. Hence 25-odd shots to 6 tonight to barely scrape a 2-1 win. We had 45 shots against Thailand and only scored twice. 

Australia are always solid and competitive, very rarely get a real beating, yet are always almost completely devoid of quality in the final third. The only really good striker Australia has ever produced was Mark Viduka, and frankly he was a bit crap for the national side - 11 goals in 43 games.

In a funny way Ecuador early goal probably helped Argies as they've been pretty much all out attack since then.

Argentina look like scoring every time they ran at the Ecuador defence. Certainly more goals in this one although you do wonder if the altitude will start to impact on them second half.

7 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

This is the opposite of Argentina's games against Peru and Venezuela, as Ecuador are having a go and leaving space at the other end on the counter. Argentina have absolutely no structure with or without the ball, but 2 moments of magic from Messi has them on the cusp.

They still create many chances in those games but majority didn't fall to Messi. Two chances here two goals.

Di Maria hit straight at the keeper at 1-2. Get the feeling Argentina need another as just defending a 2-1 will be very perilous as I'm sure they'll be goals in the other games.

• Like 1

Watching the BBC text feed on the qualifying results today was far more entertaining than watching England play.

As it stands, play offs will be Australia v USA, and New Zealand v Peru.

Columbia, Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay from all confirmed from South America.

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

South America deserves more than 4 automatic places imo. 

4 places plus a play-off against New Zealand out of 10 teams is a pretty good ratio!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Chile sadly won't be at the World Cup. Vidal a massive loss and Sanchez not fit. They're easily in the world's top 10 international sides imo. They won the last 2 Copas America, made the Confed final, etc. South America deserves more than 4 automatic places imo. 

Think they lost focus winning the consecutive copa americas.

That and their core of the team is pretty much over 30 now (Valdivia, Vidal, Medel etc).

Can see them struggling to make 2022 world cup aswell.

Just now, MrDuck said:

4 places plus a play-off against New Zealand out of 10 teams is a pretty good ratio!

I know, the ratio does seem good, but CONCACAF has atrocious teams and has 3 automatic and one playoff place out of the 6 teams that always make their final stage. The upshot is that Chile and almost Argentina/Colombia miss out, while piss-poor sides like Costa Rica and Honduras (as it stands) get through. 

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think they lost focus winning the consecutive copa americas.

That and their core of the team is pretty much over 30 now (Valdivia, Vidal, Medel etc).

Can see them struggling to make 2022 world cup aswell.

They were very good in the summer in the Confed Cup (I know, but still...). I don't rate their manager, Pizzi, but think they should still be finishing ahead of Peru. Vidal an enormous loss when unavailable.

3 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I know, the ratio does seem good, but CONCACAF has atrocious teams and has 3 automatic and one playoff place out of the 6 teams that always make their final stage. The upshot is that Chile and almost Argentina/Colombia miss out, while piss-poor sides like Costa Rica and Honduras (as it stands) get through. 

Yeah, but it's not about the best teams, it's about getting world representation.

Â