World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

was there last night. Alliances and bias aside, the ref was horrendous all game. Lafferty couldnt breathe on a player without conceding a free kick and the tackle at the start of the game on Dallas took him out of the game and could/ should have been a red.

We were beside the swiss fans and when the ref blew for the penalty there was not a soul in the stadium who thought a penalty was being given - cue much confusion amongst both sets of fans.

I agree that Northern Ireland were extremely negative and showed the Swiss too much respect. O'Neill was undoubtably going for an anything - nil scoreline but that it his perogative as a manager and to have that taken away from you from what is one of the worse decisions I've ever seen is a bit sickening 

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

No way in a match of this significance a ref will send a player off after five minutes.

When does the free pass expire?  Get your hatchet jobs in before half an hour?  I'm being slightly facetious but only because I f**king hate how refs take that kinda shit into account.  It's a red in the 1st or the 61st.  Do your job.  Unless of course his job was to get one of FIFA's darlings into the world cup in which case well done.

13 hours ago, PaulC said:

yes dodgy pen but NI deserved nothing as they were intent on sitting back and hoping for the best. Swiss dominated the game and should have won by more

"Deserved nothing". Presumably they deserved at least a fair crack of the whip, no?  The logic that you deserved to lose on a dodgy penalty because you lacked ambition is just wrong.  If the opposition can't beat you fair and square then that's their problem not yours.  Luckily Switzerland didn't need fair and square.  "Should have won by more" is also a curious phrase.  I assume they didn't win by more because they couldn't get past a backline and goalkeeper.  Those crafty Nordies.

But yes I imagine the Swiss will now get through using 11 men in Switzerland.

• Like 3

Yes the penalty was wrong and its not really about the way Switzerland played but more the way NI just tried to park the bus and hope to get a goal from a free kick or corner. That is why they deserved nothing. Yes they are the weaker side but  football should not reward teams that play that way. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BOF said:

When does the free pass expire?  Get your hatchet jobs in before half an hour?  I'm being slightly facetious but only because I f**king hate how refs take that kinda shit into account.  It's a red in the 1st or the 61st.  Do your job.  Unless of course his job was to get one of FIFA's darlings into the world cup in which case well done.

"Deserved nothing". Presumably they deserved at least a fair crack of the whip, no?  The logic that you deserved to lose on a dodgy penalty because you lacked ambition is just wrong.  If the opposition can't beat you fair and square then that's their problem not yours.  Luckily Switzerland didn't need fair and square.  "Should have won by more" is also a curious phrase.  I assume they didn't win by more because they couldn't get past a backline and goalkeeper.  Those crafty Nordies.

But yes I imagine the Swiss will now get through using 11 men in Switzerland.

It's just the way things are BOF as we saw in Carling cup final in 2010.

It's always easier to give a player a yellow in that situation than effectively make them play the whole game with 10 men.

Italy are so uninspiring. Appointing Ventura was a proper heads gone moment. :lol:

Just hope Sweden don't park the bus on Monday. They scored in France so someone like Forsberg could nick a goal on the break as Italy push forward. Verrati is suspended btw.

It's in the San Siro so expect the ref to give Italy a freebie or two...

Excellent away result 0-0 for Australia against Honduras. Should have come away with an away goal or two but should seriously have the beating of Honduras at home based on that effort. 

Jedinak was very good. Hopefully he can sit out the return leg. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Find it stupid Fifa make teams fly halfway across the world within 5 days. Australia should just play New Zealand and Honduras play Peru.

I agree. That makes sense, would provide qualifying with more balance, and the games would have more of an edge to them.

12 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Excellent away result 0-0 for Australia against Honduras. Should have come away with an away goal or two but should seriously have the beating of Honduras at home based on that effort. 

Jedinak was very good. Hopefully he can sit out the return leg. 

Jed doing his Gandalf thing again.

" You.. shall not... pass!"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's just the way things are BOF as we saw in Carling cup final in 2010.

It's always easier to give a player a yellow in that situation than effectively make them play the whole game with 10 men.

I know. But it is not right and I'm done pretending it's acceptable. It's like oh that's how it is. **** off (not you :))

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Italy are so uninspiring. Appointing Ventura was a proper heads gone moment. :lol:

Just hope Sweden don't park the bus on Monday. They scored in France so someone like Forsberg could nick a goal on the break as Italy push forward. Verrati is suspended btw.

Doesnt matter where its played i expect the ref to make italy qualify

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

The Ventura appointment really is baffling.

His managerial stats are mediocre at best. Granted he's mostly been at small clubs, but still. He's done nothing to warrant the Italy gig.

His Italy still should see off Sweden, but I would not be surprised if he's replaced before the WC even if they go through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

The Ventura appointment really is baffling.

His managerial stats are mediocre at best. Granted he's mostly been at small clubs, but still. He's done nothing to warrant the Italy gig.

His Italy still should see off Sweden, but I would not be surprised if he's replaced before the WC even if they go through.

Now, now let's be a little bit optimistic. If we can nick one goal on monday I think we have a great chance of pulling through since it's tough to score against us. Let's deny them the WC for once! :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â