World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

All this talk about Russian hooliganism before the tournament - threats of gangs of Russians, roaming the streets (like at Euro 2016), looking for trouble and lots of fans staying away as a result. 

Nothing reported in the news though? Presumably Putin's iron fist and a threat of trips to Siberian gulags have ensure this?

3 hours ago, choffer said:

All this talk about Russian hooliganism before the tournament - threats of gangs of Russians, roaming the streets (like at Euro 2016), looking for trouble and lots of fans staying away as a result. 

Nothing reported in the news though? Presumably Putin's iron fist and a threat of trips to Siberian gulags have ensure this?

Probably.  I find it strange how so many European fans have been put off but the Latin American fans have come over en masse considering the distance and cost it must involve.

Nordic countries took big numbers by looks of it per population. Was the bigger European fan nations that were mainly put off though Italy didnt qualify and Spain are poor travellers usually 

The next couple of days will be very interesting.

Assuming Brazil go on to win their group (which I know isn't a certainty), and Mexico keep up their performances and maybe nick the top spot in that group, England finishing second is going to be far far better than winning it.

Obviously there's lots of ifs in there, but it's interesting. We'll know by the time England play their last game...

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

potentially Argentina vs France and Germany vs Brazil in next round

That's good. I would like to see some new nations advancing far in this tournament. Because of all these strange results, we are almost guaranteed to see a new nation in the semis. 

Mexico and Croatia look good bets although I'm always lazy in looking at who has who in the knock outs for some reason. Neither will probably want to run into Portugal for example who will probably be in quarters as they're likely to get Russia in round of 16.

16 hours ago, Czechlad said:

. Because of all these strange results, we are almost guaranteed to see a new nation in the semis. 

Are we? I’d imagine we’ll still  see 4 of Brazil, germany, Spain, France, Belgium, Portugal. 

On 24/06/2018 at 12:56, rjw63 said:

I haven't watched any of the games so far, not missing it either.

Might take a look in the later stages.

Didn't know you were German.

14 hours ago, turvontour said:

Why is there a penalty in most games? Influence of VAR? Bad defenders, clever forwards?

IMHO it's two-fold.  I think having VAR has definitely allowed the refs to make braver initial decisions than they might have, safe in the knowledge they can reverse them if they're wrong.  But secondly, it does seem as though they've been given an edict by FIFA to penalise WWE-style defending at set pieces.  Stuff which fans have screamed about for years, but which normally went completely and bafflingly unpunished.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2018 at 22:15, VillaChris said:

Mexico and Croatia look good bets although I'm always lazy in looking at who has who in the knock outs for some reason. Neither will probably want to run into Portugal for example who will probably be in quarters as they're likely to get Russia in round of 16.

I think Russia will beat Portugal. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

IMHO it's two-fold.  I think having VAR has definitely allowed the refs to make braver initial decisions than they might have, safe in the knowledge they can reverse them if they're wrong.  But secondly, it does seem as though they've been given an edict by FIFA to penalise WWE-style defending at set pieces.  Stuff which fans have screamed about for years, but which normally went completely and bafflingly unpunished.

Listening to the commentary yesterday they mentioned that apparently on this latter point an English FA technical rep after the Tunisia game raised a point about the pulling and grabbing at corners to FIFA and subsequently refs and VAR have been harsher on it.

• Like 1

Â