World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

4 games to go. Golden Boot standings going into the semi's. 2 games left for each of these barring non-selection for any reason.

6 - Kane
4 - Lukaku
3 - Griezmann - Mbappe
2 - Hazard - Stones - Modric
1 - Maguire - Alli - Lingard (ENG) - Pavard - Varane (FRA) - Chadli - Felliani - DeBruyne - Batshuayi - Januzaj - Vertonghen (BEL) - Vida - Peresic - Rakitic - Badelj - Mandzukic - Rebic - Kramaric (CRO)

Kane has already equalled Lineker's 6 goal English WC record for a single tournament from 1986. Lineker is our all-time leading WC scorer with 10 goals. Kane is second on 6 ahead of Geoff Hurst's 5. Michael Owen and Bobby Charlton round off the top 5 of all time with 4 goals each and equal 4th place. 5 players then sit on 3 goals.

Who's currently on course for the golden ball? golden glove? and all that.

Personally I think the goalies from the 4 semi finalists have to be all in the mix. Along with Schmeichel Jr. All had some good games/moments

I suppose they wait to see who makes the final for the other stuff right? (James/Messi last time for instance)

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Truly embarrassing

For those individuals. Not for me, or any other normal football fan.

I'm an England fan that goes bananas when we score and win, but won't throw my pint around (what a waste, although they're probably tossing rats piss larger around) or jump up and down on things I wouldn't usually stand on. Like most other England fans. 

England is an incredibly passionate football nation, dare I say it, possibly the most obsessed. Or at least it feels that way.

I'm in my 30s and I feel as if I'll never see England or Villa win anything significant in my lifetime. This England team have done something to the nation that has let us believe, tentatively that we have a chance again. 

All this "It's coming home" fun is just that, fun. We know we've been lucky with the draw so far, but equally we're daring to dream. We invented and popularised football (Aston Villa please take a bow for your role in this). We've been denied the opportunity to host the world too many times. We turn up in droves to watch football (I might be wrong but amongst the highest attendances for football anywhere in the world.). We love love football, it's part of our national identity. 

So meh, I don't know what I'm getting at, but I can sorta understand if folk get a bit carried away. Most don't though. Doesn't make it particularly clever, but come on

Its coming home. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm an England fan that goes bananas when we score and win, but won't throw my pint around (what a waste, although they're probably tossing rats piss larger around) or jump up and down on things I wouldn't usually stand on. Like most other England fans. 

England is an incredibly passionate football nation, dare I say it, possibly the most obsessed. Or at least it feels that way.

I'm in my 30s and I feel as if I'll never see England or Villa win anything significant in my lifetime. This England team have done something to the nation that has let us believe, tentatively that we have a chance again. 

All this "It's coming home" fun is just that, fun. We know we've been lucky with the draw so far, but equally we're daring to dream. We invented and popularised football (Aston Villa please take a bow for your role in this). We've been denied the opportunity to host the world too many times. We turn up in droves to watch football (I might be wrong but amongst the highest attendances for football anywhere in the world.). We love love football, it's part of our national identity. 

So meh, I don't know what I'm getting at, but I can sorta understand if folk get a bit carried away. Most don't though. Doesn't make it particularly clever, but come on

Its coming home. 

I'm English, in my 30s, there's no defense for acting like a complete tit after winning a quarter final game. If we actually won the world cup, then whilst I wouldn't condone that behaviour i would kinda understand it. But the quarter final? No **** chance. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not glamorous enough but Kante having a great tournament

All eyes on Hazard and Modric now for me. Couple of good performances from either of them and it's probably where FIFA would obviously head with the Golden Ball.

Pickford, Lloris and Courtois have been the pick of the goalies so far for me. But they are all 1 or 2 good showings away from the Golden Glove I reckon. (If the Croatian dude is fit)

Other Ronaldo has to be in there - if only for his performance against Spain. Inue was a joy to watch for Japan. All the goalscorers will be in the mix.

No one's really stood out yet though have they?

41 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

All eyes on Hazard and Modric now for me. Couple of good performances from either of them and it's probably where FIFA would obviously head with the Golden Ball.

Pickford, Lloris and Courtois have been the pick of the goalies so far for me. But they are all 1 or 2 good showings away from the Golden Glove I reckon. (If the Croatian dude is fit)

Other Ronaldo has to be in there - if only for his performance against Spain. Inue was a joy to watch for Japan. All the goalscorers will be in the mix.

No one's really stood out yet though have they?

It'll be who they can market as the new best player in the world - likelihood it will be Hazard or Mbappe depending on who gets to the final. 

On 08/07/2018 at 14:01, lapal_fan said:

People don't know how to control themselves when it gets a bit exciting.

We've done **** all yet!

Exactly, but the giddy has been turned well and truly up to 11.

latest?cb=20140611014217

4 of the last 5 Golden Ball winners have had shocking endings or poor knock out phases to World Cup

98 - Ronaldo shouldnt have played final

02 - Kahn great tournament and **** up final

06 - Zidane 

14 - Messi did nothing in knockout stages for Argentina

Only Forlan in 2010 left with credit

On 08/07/2018 at 21:35, PompeyVillan said:

Our glorious nation always seems worse than any others though.  No matter how many times people say "it's only the minority", "England fans get unfair press" etc., it's always England fans who are being Representatives for Wellingborough...

...and now we're doing it at home!

Â