World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Our glorious nation always seems worse than any others though.  No matter how many times people say "it's only the minority", "England fans get unfair press" etc., it's always England fans who are being Representatives for Wellingborough...

...and now we're doing it at home!

I agree with you on the whole I personally see it as societal rather than anything to do with a particular sport. We can't deny there's a section of our own support at B6 who for whatever reason behave atrociously and it doesn't reflect well on us as a group. Doesn't mean we should start talking about it as a 'Villa' problem though for me. Same with England.

It's a true reflection of us though, no one can deny that. Just also true to say it's a small section overall. That certain holiday destinations and venues for football down the years have seen/do see 'us' at our worst is a shame.

I suppose though that if you ban the hooligan element from the actual games, and then ban them from actually traveling they're probably going to go down the pub eh? If they don't stay at home/go round friends n that.

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I agree with you on the whole I personally see it as societal rather than anything to do with a particular sport. We can't deny there's a section of our own support at B6 who for whatever reason behave atrociously and it doesn't reflect well on us as a group. Doesn't mean we should start talking about it as a 'Villa' problem though for me. Same with England.

It's a true reflection of us though, no one can deny that. Just also true to say it's a small section overall. That certain holiday destinations and venues for football down the years have seen/do see 'us' at our worst is a shame.

I suppose though that if you ban the hooligan element from the actual games, and then ban them from actually traveling they're probably going to go down the pub eh? If they don't stay at home/go round friends n that.

A societal problem that seemingly only impacts on the football team(s), though.

You're right about Villa and our own section of poor fans, but the reason we're not discussed as a problem is because others are worse.  Which is why we have national stereotypes regarding Millwall, Cardiff, Leeds, Blues, West Ham etc.  Because those clubs have larger minorities than us who want to cause trouble.  England is the same, just on an International scale.  Which is why we are a problem.

50 minutes ago, bobzy said:

A societal problem that seemingly only impacts on the football team(s), though.

You're right about Villa and our own section of poor fans, but the reason we're not discussed as a problem is because others are worse.  Which is why we have national stereotypes regarding Millwall, Cardiff, Leeds, Blues, West Ham etc.  Because those clubs have larger minorities than us who want to cause trouble.  England is the same, just on an International scale.  Which is why we are a problem.

Like I said though, no one's denying it's there. In Wales, for instance, the working-class roots are in Rugby. And while Cardiff/Swansea can be a sorry affair a lot of the time the truth is those thugs and idiots (And we're not talking about the beer chuckers or the slightly over-exuberant types here are we) are more prone to be rugby-lads which is a far cry from the toffee nosed rugby-lad stereotype in England. Just as prone to running over people's cars and smashing things up for no good reason. 

Too easy to label it a football problem where in the UK the biggest sport by far is football. A national obsession maybe. Maybe they just find the biggest crowd to hide in?

The real point in all this to me being - We produce these ****wits. What are we going to do about it? As a country/society? Problem is, examining the reason why we seem to have this problem will bring up some pretty hard truths which may be a bit easier for everyone to dismiss. A bit like gun violence or police brutality in the US.

Anyway, getting it back somewhere on topic I think Putin has obviously had some sort of word in the ear of those who may cause a load of trouble and it appears to have worked. I'll praise them for it sometime next week if it stays that way too. We'll see. And lets hope nothing does happen eh? It's been a belter of a tournament. Be a shame if something unrelated to sport or a load of shit VAR decisions go and ruin it. So far top marks to the Russians. It's been wicked to watch from afar.

Just 2 games left and nice to see the scare tactics of Russian yobs attacking every foreigner and every game being marred by racism didnt come through. Just like South Africa, Brazil and Poland/Ukraine the media again proving to be ignorant fools

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Just 2 games left and nice to see the scare tactics of Russian yobs attacking every foreigner and every game being marred by racism didnt come through. Just like South Africa, Brazil and Poland/Ukraine the media again proving to be ignorant fools

Anyone remember when Sol Campbell was saying that no one should go to Poland & Ukraine because you might come back in a coffin?

I wonder, why is the media so adamant to create a bad image of Eastern Europe?

On 13/07/2018 at 14:12, Zatman said:

You did see what the russians got up to in France, right? 

It was a legitimate concern.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You did see what the russians got up to in France, right? 

It was a legitimate concern.

Yes ut with world watching , was no chance Putin would allow it to happen and proved so

Exactly, you can bet that the Russian police and security services would have 'had a word' with known troublemakers and told them to behave or else!

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Could this go down as the best World Cup tournament ever? 

Really enjoyed it. Lots of enjoyable games and difference for me in this compared to 2014 and certainly 2010 is there were many excellent knock out games.

I wasn't a downer on Russia as many others (once Putin put the hooligans in a cage for a month :lol:) but it certainly exceeded my expectations.

Can't say I have same hopes for Qatar as I've said elsewhere.

• Like 3

Great World Cup. Couldnt bring myself to watch the final as I wanted both teams to lose for different reasons but I am sad the tournament is over. 

Another 4 and a half years until the farce in Qatar. I wonder where Villa will be when that kicks off.... 

• Sad 1

I’ve loved this World Cup, after the last few years of Villa I’d seriously lost interest in the sport, only watching us play out of habit and not following any other matches. This World Cup has reignited my interest in the sport, it’s been fantastic from start to finish. I never expected England to go anywhere near as far as they did, who cares if it was an easy draw they still had to beat the teams in front of them, which in the past they have failed to do. 

Seemed to be really well organised by russia with very little trouble reported 

• Like 2

yeah best for me, some really good games, easy to forget how many games in the group stage we spent talking about counting yellow cards, im sure streaming was available for brazil too but i think with me not being at work when games kicked off i didnt really use it, this WC was really accessible (even if our media was dreadful) the weather being amazing probably helped everything too, watched about 8 games on my laptop in my garden 

might be me and others might not agree but for me its not been a world cup of real stand out individuals, modric won best player but in reality he was part of a brilliant midfield unit, his main competition for it was probably mbappe or hazard, both were very good but i wouldnt say head and shoulders above everyone else around them (pogba and varane would give mbappe a good argument over who was frances best player) 

As great as Modric is and guaranteed ballon dor winner. Kante should have won player of tournament 

He literally made one mistake and di maria scored from 30 yards from it

Â