World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Listening to the commentary yesterday they mentioned that apparently on this latter point an English FA technical rep after the Tunisia game raised a point about the pulling and grabbing at corners to FIFA and subsequently refs and VAR have been harsher on it.

Yeah I was going to mention that Kane was one of the few who was harshly treated in that regard, but as you say, he may have been the catalyst. 

It's definitely better that they are looking at it more. I'd be happy with them giving out 5 penalties every game to be honest, would certainly stop players from doing it. They just need to be consistent with it. 

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It's definitely better that they are looking at it more. I'd be happy with them giving out 5 penalties every game to be honest, would certainly stop players from doing it. They just need to be consistent with it. 

A point i made elsewhere yesterday. If they stay consistent then defenders will stop doing it, the penalties dry up and we get a cleaner game. Undoubtedly resulting in more goals because of more unimpeded attackers. The way it should be. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Absolutely. Some people are saying that the amount of penalties is ruining the WC.

It's not that there's too many penalties, it's that there's too many fouls in the box and with VAR, those fouls are now (correctly) being punished.

• Like 2

this WC is showing up the "48 teams will be because there will be no dead rubbers in the 3rd game" nonsense

been some great permutations and tension in the final games, i think there have been about 4 groups where during the final game people have been yellow card counting, i dont remember that ever being a thing before

england and belgium could still toss a coin if its a draw and england get more yellows

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

On 24/05/2018 at 12:21, bobzy said:

....or Senegal or Japan?  Group H is wide open as ****.

On 24/05/2018 at 13:05, BOF said:

I'd be surprised if Poland and Colombia don't come out of Group H.  Senegal aren't what they used to be and Japan are too soft a touch to cope with the other 2.  For me the group that's wide open is Group E.  Brazil will win it, but Switzerland, Serbia and Costa Rica can all lay legitimate claim to 2nd place.  That'll be one tough bastard of a group.

On 25/05/2018 at 09:10, bobzy said:

I'd be surprised if Colombia don't qualify, but it's a close group.  I think I'd probably tip Senegal to qualify with them (they're the strongest African team there IMO - expecting Mane and Niang to cause that group problems), but I wouldn't be confident picking the winner.  There's a case for any of them to go through!  It's the only group like it on paper.

On 25/05/2018 at 10:10, BOF said:

E is tighter IMHO.

On 25/05/2018 at 12:37, bobzy said:

Not for me.  You have a clear winner - Brazil - and a clear weak link - Costa Rica.  It's close between Switzerland and Serbia, possibly.  H doesn't have this at all; potentially Japan as the weak link.

I think F is a tighter group than E.  Germany should win it, but you could make a case for any of Mexico/Sweden/South Korea finishing second.

Yellow cards and a German implosion away from a complete :detect:  :detect: :detect: 

On 24/06/2018 at 12:56, rjw63 said:

I haven't watched any of the games so far, not missing it either.

Might take a look in the later stages.

In my view you are missing the best World Cup since I started watching them in 1970

• Like 1

Seen a fair bit on social being made about mbappe donating his £20k per match bonus from france to charity, since when did footballers get that kind of cash for playing at the world cup? Mental, the kid earns €17.5m a year salary at PSG who at the french FA thinks thats a good idea (obviously assuming ours do something similar but i know our players have been donating theirs for donkeys years)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Seen a fair bit on social being made about mbappe donating his £20k per match bonus from france to charity, since when did footballers get that kind of cash for playing at the world cup? Mental, the kid earns €17.5m a year salary at PSG who at the french FA thinks thats a good idea (obviously assuming ours do something similar but i know our players have been donating theirs for donkeys years)

I agree, but if that money is starting to filter down to charities then I'm all for giving the huge match bonuses :D  

England squad are set to donate all theirs too allegedly. 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I agree, but if that money is starting to filter down to charities then I'm all for giving the huge match bonuses :D  

England squad are set to donate all theirs too allegedly. 

I think there has been an agreement in place for many years that the England men's side always give all of their 'wages' when representing England to charity. I remember it even from the Ian Wright days.

• Like 1

Â