Active Shooter On Las Vegas Strip

Kingman

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Trump is actually rolling back legislation that previous presidents had put in place. So yeah, it couldn't be more incorrect.

Quite, which puts him on a par with Bush in that regard, I just thought I’d go with the simple incorrect rather than the double whammy.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

You'd hope they'd test the blood anyway before pumping it into people so what would the sexuality of the donor matter?

I checked the Swedish regulation. It's a weird one. Sexual preference doesn't matter but if you are a man and has had sex with other men, there is a 12 month quarantine. Basically if you are male and gay, you can't have sex for a year if you want to donate.

3 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I checked the Swedish regulation. It's a weird one. Sexual preference doesn't matter but if you are a man and has had sex with other men, there is a 12 month quarantine. Basically if you are male and gay, you can't have sex for a year if you want to donate.

From a health point of view, I understand and agree with it.

From a human point, it's a shame really.

That said, I spoke about this with my wife who did a Bio-chemistry degree, and as part of that, did ethics in science. 

She said there were a disproportional amount of gay men in the 80s/90s wanting to give blood on a regular basis, because essentially, it's a free HIV test.  It wasted quite a lot of money, until they put these kind of precautions in place.  But gay men can still lie about their sexual activity. 

So whilst it looks like its some sort of oppression, it's actually just protecting the donor/the receiver from getting HIV/AIDS, and I'm all for it. 

Be happy to be given reasons as to why that's quite an old fashioned opinion though :) 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Pretty sure Gay men are still banned from donating blood regardless of sexual activity in Ireland. As an aside our Prime Minister is gay, you'd like to think he might change this. 

It might be that way in the UK too?

Not sure. I haven't donated in a while but I'm sure you get asked if you've had gay sex before you donate.

With a hiv  test you have one, then is it you have another 3 or 6 months later because it can lie dormant for that amount of time. I've got no problem with gay men donating, but I think the 12 month after last having sex is a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

Quite shocked this isn't a bigger issue in Sweden actually. The LGBT movement is strong and vocal here.

I thought they'd changed it to the same 3 month rule that heterosexual's have ages ago.

Considering there is a shortage of blood in many places I can't see why this it not addressed yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

From a health point of view, I understand and agree with it.

From a human point, it's a shame really.

That said, I spoke about this with my wife who did a Bio-chemistry degree, and as part of that, did ethics in science. 

She said there were a disproportional amount of gay men in the 80s/90s wanting to give blood on a regular basis, because essentially, it's a free HIV test.  It wasted quite a lot of money, until they put these kind of precautions in place.  But gay men can still lie about their sexual activity. 

So whilst it looks like its some sort of oppression, it's actually just protecting the donor/the receiver from getting HIV/AIDS, and I'm all for it. 

Be happy to be given reasons as to why that's quite an old fashioned opinion though :) 

Should apply for anyone that's done it up the 'wrong'un' then, regardless of sexuality.

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Should apply for anyone that's done it up the 'wrong'un' then, regardless of sexuality.

Rob can forget giving blood then. Anyone that's doing anal sex all the time whether straight or gay are more at risk. Obviously if you're in a stable relationship and both people don't stray then there is no risk if you're doing anal. 

Political power is, unfortunately, a huge deal.

I read somewhere that pro-gun reformers are gaining wealthy donors now and could attempt to rival the NRA at some point by campaigning with dolla the other way.  But... yeah, it requires a lot of money behind you and you'll piss off a lot of **** morons in middle America.

On 04/10/2017 at 12:08, Straggler said:

I've covered this a bit in the US Politics thread, but nothing will change whilst bribing politicians in the USA is legal.

NRA donations of $54.4 million in the 2016 election cycle

$54 million is really nothing though is it. Netflix pay Adam Sandler that... If everyone in California chipped in $2 a year it would be way more than that....

Pretty much unrestricted gun access because politicians don't want to risk losing $50mil? 

If every celeb that spends their time calling trump a f**kwit on twitter put 0.25% of their earnings in a pot they could make the NRA contributions looks like loose change

Edited by LakotaDakota

Â