Active Shooter On Las Vegas Strip

Kingman

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Political power is, unfortunately, a huge deal.

I read somewhere that pro-gun reformers are gaining wealthy donors now and could attempt to rival the NRA at some point by campaigning with dolla the other way.  But... yeah, it requires a lot of money behind you and you'll piss off a lot of **** morons in middle America.

@bobzy What's middle America?

6 hours ago, villa89 said:

Pretty sure Gay men are still banned from donating blood regardless of sexual activity in Ireland. As an aside our Prime Minister is gay, you'd like to think he might change this. 

Well at least he's gone and pushed the abortion referendum forward, which is going to be fun. I don't think we've stop patting ourselves on the back for the gay marriage referendum a few years back... hopefully more of the same this time.

on-ish topic... gayness in the states is so so interesting in comparison to back home. My experience is of a much more macho culture with less of the mocking and piss taking that we'd use to take the edge off. Go watch some of the 80s/90s aids related documentaries and seeing some of the visceral reactions from people is still quite shocking.

This is also a country where mutilating male children in the name of sky fairy related fables is still in very prominent writing on federal agency books.

1 minute ago, Dom_Wren said:

Thanks and what describes a **** moron that lives in middle America, I checked wiki but couldn't find that.

The type that loves guns and don't want nobody takin' their damn right to owning one. 

Not everyone there is a moron, naturally.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

The type that loves guns and don't want nobody takin' their damn right to owning one. 

Not everyone there is a moron, naturally.

Thanks again, so are we talking morons if they want to own hunting rifles, handguns, etc....or just if someone buys xxx amount of assault rifles, bump stocks, massive amounts of ammo etc... like the geezer from vegas? 

Not trying to wind you or anyone up. 

Classifying law abiding gun owners in a sweeping generalization with this dickhead that shot up Vegas can be very bad (couldn't think of a better word!)

I say this because I own guns, and I don't want anybody to take my right to owning one, but i also believe no law abiding citizen needs machine guns, bump stocks, etc...

So hopefully legislation can occur to stop these horrendous attacks. Although i think that's going to be harder than everyone thinks, and hope i am proved wrong!!

5 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Thanks again, so are we talking morons if they want to own hunting rifles, handguns, etc....or just if someone buys xxx amount of assault rifles, bump stocks, massive amounts of ammo etc... like the geezer from vegas? 

Not trying to wind you or anyone up. 

Classifying law abiding gun owners in a sweeping generalization with this dickhead that shot up Vegas can be very bad (couldn't think of a better word!)

I say this because I own guns, and I don't want anybody to take my right to owning one, but i also believe no law abiding citizen needs machine guns, bump stocks, etc...

So hopefully legislation can occur to stop these horrendous attacks. Although i think that's going to be harder than everyone thinks, and hope i am proved wrong!!

"Moron" would be harsh in your respect as you seem anything but. However...

...yes, I'm still massively against all of that and would question why anyone would want to own any guns or shoot anything that is living.  It should all be outlawed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

really , I thought it was letting him off lightly :) 

(Only kidding Dom ..and not just because you own a  gun :) )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, bobzy said:

...yes, I'm still massively against all of that and would question why anyone would want to own any guns or shoot anything that is living.  It should all be outlawed. 

I was gonna say I’ve been called worse but tone beat me too it!

At the start of the firearm enthusiast thread I kind of touched on why I own guns. 1) recreation. 2) self defense. I don’t hunt so can’t speak for that but as I understand it hunting in SC is only to control massive animal poolpulation and damage to farmers livelihood. 

Hope they can sort all this mess out as something needs to change. 

24 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

I was gonna say I’ve been called worse but tone beat me too it!

At the start of the firearm enthusiast thread I kind of touched on why I own guns. 1) recreation. 2) self defense. I don’t hunt so can’t speak for that but as I understand it hunting in SC is only to control massive animal poolpulation and damage to farmers livelihood. 

Hope they can sort all this mess out as something needs to change. 

Genuinely, what needs to change is the legality of owning a working firearm.

Collecting antiques or guns that cannot be fired, sure - that has some historic value I guess.  Anything else - illegal.  It really should be that simple.

Out of interest, do you feel strongly in your need to hold guns?  If so, what's the most important aspect of it for you that categorically means they should remain legal?

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Genuinely, what needs to change is the legality of owning a working firearm.

Collecting antiques or guns that cannot be fired, sure - that has some historic value I guess.  Anything else - illegal.  It really should be that simple.

Out of interest, do you feel strongly in your need to hold guns?  If so, what's the most important aspect of it for you that categorically means they should remain legal?

I def disagree with the anything else illegal stand. And with the amount of firearms in existence that would be impossible to implement. And that is without even touching the 2nd amendment. 

I reckon the firearm enthusiast thread would be a great read. I have posted answers to many questions in that thread. 

• Like 1

I so didn't want too get 'involved' in this thread other than talk about Vegas, as the majority of people in here don't share my viewpoint, which is fine, really is.

World would be boring if we all thought the same!

Im gonna say good post and fair play to say what you said, because it make me understand where your coming from, but I disagree with a lot of it.  I feel 100% comfortable living the life i do in the environment I do, with the guns that i own and the safety and recreation it provides me and my family. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's clearly a difference between someone who likes to shoot weapons designed to kill human beings at pictures of human beings rather than at actual human beings, but the problem for me is that gun ownership of any type legitimises the presence of guns in a society.

The normalisation of that act, the normalisation of the idea that anyone who isn't involved in the military needs to own, let alone carry in public a device whose sole purpose is to end the life of other sentient beings is wrong. It's an insanity. The desire to be able to shoot a rabbit or to be able to shout yee-haw after knocking a can off a log isn't enough to justify the tens of thousands of American casualties from shootings every year.

At one end of the scale, dangerous, driven madmen with guns that want to kill as many people as they can are thankfully still rare - those that want to keep a gun under the bed at home less rare and at the other end of the scale, those that might want to shoot a gun at targets are less rare still - but it is a scale, and it is the same scale, it's the same people, it's people that want to own things that are designed to kill people - owning guns is about power, it's not about sport, it's not a hobby, it's about being able to kill somebody if you had to, if you needed to, or on rarer occasions because you want to because you have a device that gives you control and gives you power.

That's still a sweeping generalisation, but for me anyone that wants to own a gun, that thinks that owning a gun is a good idea, that thinks that guns have any redeeming feature outside of a war should by definition not be allowed anywhere near one.

I believe that you're missing several aspects, there, OBE.

Given that guns exist and are widespread, I think Da Police (in big America) might have a legitimate reason to have them. That they need to be more careful and stop being so shooty towards innocent people is obvious, but still...

Then there's small calibre Olympic etc. sports events. That is about sport and "hobby" and not about "killing people if you want to". Same with Clay pigeon shooting

Then there's wildlife control. Now I love critters, but from time to time culling deer, say, to preserve an environment from being destroyed is another valid reason for specific job roles to have firearms. Unless we're going to re-introduce wolves and so on into all our national parks.

And to continue picking at your generalisation with specific instances, the Armed forces, outside war still need to train with arms, not wait till one starts before they can have a go at doing guns.

And more generally, like not or not, while there are in the US, so many peeps with guns, legal and illegally held, depriving people from having a gun (not a ton of assault rifles, but a firearm), practicality says that would seem reasonable, accepting the downsides.

And finally, guns don't kill people Rappers do, sorry I meant bullets do. Stop the bullets first - don't sell anyone large calibre rounds, don't sell bullets in large quantities, make people go through a whole bunch of checks..

All those things, IMO are more likely to be effective to an extent - control not try to un-invent something that's everywhere in the US and does have wider uses than you've outlined, perhaps? 

So... ISIS are doubling down on their claim that this chap converted 6 months back.

btw SITE have a known bias, in a similar manner to the Syrian Human Rights Observatory chap.

Edited by villakram

Â