Active Shooter On Las Vegas Strip

Kingman

4 hours ago, villakram said:

further context... Utah police executing a civilian who they initially pulled over for a lack of a light on his bike, he then assaulted an officer (pushed) and fled resulting in being murdered like vermin. There is a 30s bodycam vid of this at the link below.

"Prosecutors in Salt Lake City have said officers were justified in killing Patrick Harmon, 50, who was pulled over for riding a bicycle without a light and who attempted to flee when police tried to arrest him. Police are not facing charges despite the fact that the body-camera footage captured officer Clinton Fox shouting “I’ll **** shoot you!” from a distance before he fired three bullets into Harmon, who was running in the opposite direction."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/05/patrick-harmon-utah-police-shooting

Scarily, a lot of people in the US will say he deserved to die because he did not "comply" with the officers and chose to run off. I just cannot see how it can be good, effective policing, to murder someone because you can't be arsed to chase after them. It seems to me that many police officers simply want an excuse to light someone up.  

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The last time I checked the upper house of Britain's democracy are unelected Lords - and theres the monarch "appointed by God." So who's not comfortable with evolution? :D

Well, I have no love for the monarchy, but politically speaking it's an irrelevance. And I rather like the unelected upper house - which HAS evolved, from heditary aristocrats to commoners given life peerages. Not the way I'd do it, but not the way it was 300 years ago. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Id abide by the law for sure. But to say statics are the be all and end all of any situation. In my experience and opinion is dangerously blind. 

Let's hope your control of a gun and your own anger is better than your control of the English language.

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Bit needless. 

His ability to own enough firepower to wipe out a medium-sized village if he woke up one morning in a funny mood.

Loads of things in this world are needless.

10 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

His ability to own enough firepower to wipe out a medium-sized village if he woke up one morning in a funny mood.

Loads of things in this world are needless.

No, that comment was needless.

Dom has discussed his position and beliefs at a somewhat sensitive time and the best retort is to attack his grammar? Nice one.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

No, that comment was needless.

Dom has discussed his position and beliefs at a somewhat sensitive time and the best retort is to attack his grammar? Nice one.

Something else that's needless is...

Actually, just repeating the same thing over and over at each other isn't the best way to spend an evening.

500 people were shot by a madman that managed to kill 58 of his victims in a society where having that ability is celebrated as a great freedom

by coincidence, 58 people were shot and killed in Chicago last month, but at a rate of 2 a day so not so big a deal

503 shot and killed so far this year in total in Chicago so unless it's a particularly tetchy Christmas the year total should top out at about 600

it's important both sides of the argument have a fair and respectful hearing

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, I have no love for the monarchy, but politically speaking it's an irrelevance. And I rather like the unelected upper house - which HAS evolved, from heditary aristocrats to commoners given life peerages. Not the way I'd do it, but not the way it was 300 years ago. 

The Lords has evolved but the concept of the Lords in 2017 is ridiculous in my opinion. (Just as much as a monarchy even though it is politically irrelevant.) I just find it funny how much the Brits love to point out the flaws and faults in the US democratic system (special interests etc.) but at least it's an attempt at Democracy!

26 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The Lords has evolved but the concept of the Lords in 2017 is ridiculous in my opinion. (Just as much as a monarchy even though it is politically irrelevant.) I just find it funny how much the Brits love to point out the flaws and faults in the US democratic system (special interests etc.) but at least it's an attempt at Democracy!

As a Brit that has pointed out flaws in the US democratic system, I would like to point you to the two threads about British politics.  You will find many of the same people happily pointing out that British politics is every bit as flawed, unrepresentative, riddled with idiots and unduly influenced by special interest groups as the US.  You got Trump, we got Boris, you got Pence, we got Rees-Mogg, you got the Mooch we got Gove. Having a go at US politics is just a nice change of scenery.  

Small edit. Ok, Trump is a special case, electing that man as leader is a spectacular exercise in self harm, I can't think of an elected leader ever being so spectacularly awful in every conceivable way.

Edited by Straggler
For Trump

10 hours ago, villakram said:

It is not written down, but it exists... ok  :detect:  I'll have ghost & goblins for 500 Alex.

I jest, but only  somewhat... legal types are constantly complaining about the lack of a clear constitutional document, e.g., see all the debate regarding article 50 being enacted etc. 

You are right, if only we had a 200 year old constitution that would have cleared up any debate on article 50.... er..... or not

I guess if we did the remainders and leavers could all grab their muskets or assault riffles and have a shoot out.

Good point.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You are right, if only we had a 200 year old constitution that would have cleared up any debate on article 50.... er..... or not

I guess if we did the remainders and leavers could all grab their muskets or assault riffles and have a shoot out.

Good point.

Remain would be clear winners, it’s hard to shoot straight with a Zimmer frame and cataracts  :mrgreen:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Remain would be clear winners, it’s hard to shoot straight with a Zimmer frame and cataracts  :mrgreen:

Maybe.... but then those liberal lefty tree hugging remainers will put down the guns in favour of daisy chains...

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Maybe.... but then those liberal lefty tree hugging remainers will put down the guns in favour of daisy chains...

Or still in bed stoned. Where there are when most votes take place. 

10 hours ago, Straggler said:

As a Brit that has pointed out flaws in the US democratic system, I would like to point you to the two threads about British politics.  You will find many of the same people happily pointing out that British politics is every bit as flawed, unrepresentative, riddled with idiots and unduly influenced by special interest groups as the US.  You got Trump, we got Boris, you got Pence, we got Rees-Mogg, you got the Mooch we got Gove. Having a go at US politics is just a nice change of scenery.  

Small edit. Ok, Trump is a special case, electing that man as leader is a spectacular exercise in self harm, I can't think of an elected leader ever being so spectacularly awful in every conceivable way.

I was about to suggest Gordon Brown , then I remembered he wasn’t elected :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I was about to suggest Gordon Brown , then I remembered he wasn’t elected :)

OK, I know this is the usual Tony windup, but I don't think anyone in his right mind, even a dyed in the wool Tory, would suggest that Brown was in any way comparable to Trump. 

• Like 2

Â