Active Shooter On Las Vegas Strip

Kingman

23 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Large gambling transactions being reported.

This could be a major factor. If he blew all his savings at the blackjack tables, maybe instead of just offing himself in despair, he decided to take people with him.

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This could be a major factor. If he blew all his savings at the blackjack tables, maybe instead of just offing himself in despair, he decided to take people with him.

30k a day by all accounts. He was supposedly a millionaire though, so sod knows. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Certainly not as I've already stated some are mentally ill. I just don't buy it that everyone is mentally ill. 

Allegedly 1% of people are psychopaths. They're not ill they just have slightly different brain structure which leads to lacking fear and empathy. (This may be inaccurate as I'm remembering it from Jon Ronson's Psychopath Test which is a great read!) 

• Like 1

Listening to that woman on sky news just, and there is no way the US will give up their guns. She kept going on about the criminal element which is the problem, not responsible gun owners. It's a case of ' why should we suffer because of a criminal element' 

2 minutes ago, coda said:

Allegedly 1% of people are psychopaths. They're not ill they just have slightly different brain structure which leads to lacking fear and empathy. (This may be inaccurate as I'm remembering it from Jon Ronson's Psychopath Test which is a great read!) 

How would you describe someone that does something bad knowing what the consequences will be, whether it be  life in prison or the death penalty and not care. For someone to have no regard for what will happen to themselves. I think 99% of people are capable of moments of madness.

I'm seeing a lot on stuff on social media asking why we aren't calling this guy a terrorist, with many suggesting its because he's white. I just wonder what are everyones thoughts? 

Evil people are evil people, colour/race should be irrelevant, though sadly we know thats not always the case. But in this instance i guess its how people interpret the word terrorism. 

Here's a bit from a BBC article:

'In Nevada state law, an act of terrorism is defined as ‘any act that involves the use or attempted use of sabotage, coercion or violence which is intended to cause great bodily harm or death to the general population'.

In which case the bloke is a terrorist. But i always viewed terrorism as a political aim, which is how its interpreted in the English dictionary. Which states: Here

'The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims'.

If you by that interpretation then i guess we would need to know what the blokes motives were before labelling him a terrorist. 

However you interpret the word, one things for sure. The guy was an evil word removed. 

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How would you describe someone that does something bad knowing what the consequences will be, whether it be  life in prison or the death penalty and not care. For someone to have no regard for what will happen to themselves. I think 99% of people are capable of moments of madness.

Hmmm. Define 'moment of madness'. Assuming I didn't have any mental health issues, I could just about imagine hurting - maybe even killing - someone, in 'the heat of the moment' of an emotive confrontation, or in defence of myself or my family. But not a child, not a random stranger, certainly not a large number of people. Nor could I calculatedly plan such a thing. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Out of curiosity, which category do you consider ISIS-affiliated/Islamic terrorists fall under, mentally ill or just evil?

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hmmm. Define 'moment of madness'. Assuming I didn't have any mental health issues, I could just about imagine hurting - maybe even killing - someone, in 'the heat of the moment' of an emotive confrontation, or in defence of myself or my family. But not a child, not a random stranger, certainly not a large number of people. Nor could I calculatedly plan such a thing. 

If he was a millionaire, then don't they tend to have very inflamed opinions of themselves and self importance? (Obvs not all*)

You've only got to see how some people in big, nice cars drive, and how they almost seem entitled to fit into tiny spaces, undertake, skip queues.. I'm only sort of comparing them to a mass murderer!!

My point is ego.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Out of curiosity, which category do you consider ISIS-affiliated/Islamic terrorists fall under, mentally ill or just evil?

A lot actually believe in the warped idea of their ideology, I honestly believe that. Some will have mental health issues and those will be the ones that will be preyed upon and are more vulnerable to radicalisation. Others that are just evil bastards will be doing it for fun. They will be the ones that take  violent computer games to the deserts of the Middle East, but won't even have a clue about Islam or even the hardcore Saudi interpretation of Islam. Isis have all sorts following them. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well it a depends what kind of person you are regarding temperament, but it's obvious if anyone seriously  harmed your kids or wife you would do the same back. Sometimes we act out of character, I'm sure we've all done it. Excluding emotional distress or being under the influence which would be an obvious answer why we might act out of character. It all boils down to you never know what's really going on inside someone's head. Where does complete rage come from and is it normal.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

51 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm seeing a lot on stuff on social media asking why we aren't calling this guy a terrorist, with many suggesting its because he's white. I just wonder what are everyones thoughts? 

Evil people are evil people, colour/race should be irrelevant, though sadly we know thats not always the case. But in this instance i guess its how people interpret the word terrorism. 

Here's a bit from a BBC article:

In which case the bloke is a terrorist. But i always viewed terrorism as a political aim, which is how its interpreted in the English dictionary. Which states: Here

If you by that interpretation then i guess we would need to know what the blokes motives were before labelling him a terrorist. 

However you interpret the word, one things for sure. The guy was an evil word removed. 

He wasn't a terrorist. Anyone saying otherwise hadn't got a clue what they're talking about. He might be a terrorist, but you'd need to know the motive. I'd stake decent money there is no political motive. Or even any motive at all.

The Nevadan take on it is so incredibly loose as to be meaningless. Any mass shooting under that definition is terrorism which basically means the term is useless. It also misses a side of the tactic that doesn't aim to harm the population, but instead engages in sabotage and attacks against infrastructure.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not saying your friend is in anyway violent, I imagine he or she is not as they are what you call a friend, but the left are violent too. 

Exactly. Political leanings really dont mean shit and carrying a weapon is not exclisove to the right. 

Edited by Seat68

5 hours ago, peterms said:

Trump now says what happened in Las Vegas was a miracle.

I wish I had such a way with words, the best words, as what he does, octopus, lawnmower.

His first tweet was wishing the families "warmest" condolences. Warmest? Just sounds weird

Â