VT'ers Dieting Thread

Midfielder

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

First weigh in, lost 5.5lbs

That's quite a lot.  And obviously loads of water or whatever, but it's nice to see a difference after a week of strictness, low carbs (corgetti & caulirice) and a "cheeky" Penguin yesterday LOL.

Well done mate. And look at the difference it's made already! I'm proud of you. 

wks10n.jpg

• Like 1

Day 5 without alcohol or junkfood (except 2 biscuits, I had another one today)

I swear my body is going through withdrawals as I want so badly to drink a beer whilst eating a packet of salt and vinegar chips. 

I went for another short run today (2 miles) and I've done my back in. That's it, I'm giving up! McDonalds and Burger King for life! :ph34r:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I went for another short run today (2 miles) and I've done my back in. That's it, I'm giving up! McDonalds and Burger King for life! :ph34r:

That's exactly what happens to me, I've had so many injuries the last few months. It's so disheartening that it is easy to fall back into the shit food and be a fatty for life.

• Like 1

I'll weigh in here...pun mostly not intended...but for people getting back in to fitness running is one of the worst things you can do. It is very physically jarring and there are much better methods, especially if you're on the 'wrong' side of 30. Cycling and swimming are a lot kinder to joints etc but you can still work up a sweat. I wouldn't recommend running for anyone who would consider themselves unfit, you'll likely get lots of niggling injuries. Plus running is as boring as @#$/!

But this thread has me a little concerned, but for different reasons. I'm 36, look incredibly young for my age (as in occasionally asked for ID still) and weigh 75kg (11.8st) at 183cm (6ft) and am convinced I need to lose belly weight (34"). Everyone tells me I'm being silly but I've put on ten kg and 2 - 4 inches around waist in last 2 or 3 years and it's bothering me. However my arms and chest are that of a ten year old boy! But I hate gyms and the days of playing football/tennis with mates is long gone. I have no motivation for running/cycling alone so my only fitness is walking which equates to around 30/40k steps a week. I used to be super fit (without any upper body strength though!) but for last ten years I've been largely lazy!

I've been working on being healthier with my diet rather than calorie counting but it's difficult for a few reasons. Firstly my GF hates practically all fruit and veg and I can never be bothered with the fuss of making two meals. Secondly I have a problem with Coke/Pepsi but have now (for last two weeks) limited it to one can a day - I'm not going through the coke cold turkey thing again, done it several times and it seriously hurts and yet always fall off the wagon! And the weirdest thing that no one ever understands - I don't get hungry. I don't know what it feels like. I eat because I'm supposed to, or others are or because I'm bored. But I've accidentally gone days without eating before (if I'm caught up at work and girlfriend is away so I'm out of a routine). I never have breakfast, I occasionally have a cheese sandwich at lunch and then practically anything at night. I'm not fussy in any way. So my diet would probably be considered pretty horrific. But don't really drink, don't smoke etc. If not drinking coke its either one milkshake a day, one innocent smoothie a day or water. But probably don't drink enough either, even though I DO get thirsty!

So I'm kinda stuck with what to do! Sh*t diet, with little motivation for real exercise, poor body image but worried that I'm fat in the belly OR getting a bit weird about it.

Ugh I need this thread at the moment. I've probably put on 8kg in the last 8 months or so. My content weight range is around the 80-85kg mark, and i'm around 89.5 at the moment. Haven't weighed myself at over 90kg yet but it's not far away if I don't change something.

At the moment my discipline is killing me. My missus is pregnant so she's always hungry, but fills up quickly. So she'll say she's hungry and i'll make us both a snack and she'll only have half of hers and i'll end up eating the rest, so I end up eating 150% of something I wouldn't have had any of if I were by myself.

I just need to cut snacking out and I know my weight will come down, but it's difficult. I'm only really walking the dogs for exercise at the moment as well which isn't helping.

7 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'll weigh in here...pun mostly not intended...but for people getting back in to fitness running is one of the worst things you can do. It is very physically jarring and there are much better methods, especially if you're on the 'wrong' side of 30. Cycling and swimming are a lot kinder to joints etc but you can still work up a sweat. I wouldn't recommend running for anyone who would consider themselves unfit, you'll likely get lots of niggling injuries. Plus running is as boring as @#$/!

But this thread has me a little concerned, but for different reasons. I'm 36, look incredibly young for my age (as in occasionally asked for ID still) and weigh 75kg (11.8st) at 183cm (6ft) and am convinced I need to lose belly weight (34"). Everyone tells me I'm being silly but I've put on ten kg and 2 - 4 inches around waist in last 2 or 3 years and it's bothering me. However my arms and chest are that of a ten year old boy! But I hate gyms and the days of playing football/tennis with mates is long gone. I have no motivation for running/cycling alone so my only fitness is walking which equates to around 30/40k steps a week. I used to be super fit (without any upper body strength though!) but for last ten years I've been largely lazy!

I've been working on being healthier with my diet rather than calorie counting but it's difficult for a few reasons. Firstly my GF hates practically all fruit and veg and I can never be bothered with the fuss of making two meals. Secondly I have a problem with Coke/Pepsi but have now (for last two weeks) limited it to one can a day - I'm not going through the coke cold turkey thing again, done it several times and it seriously hurts and yet always fall off the wagon! And the weirdest thing that no one ever understands - I don't get hungry. I don't know what it feels like. I eat because I'm supposed to, or others are or because I'm bored. But I've accidentally gone days without eating before (if I'm caught up at work and girlfriend is away so I'm out of a routine). I never have breakfast, I occasionally have a cheese sandwich at lunch and then practically anything at night. I'm not fussy in any way. So my diet would probably be considered pretty horrific. But don't really drink, don't smoke etc. If not drinking coke its either one milkshake a day, one innocent smoothie a day or water. But probably don't drink enough either, even though I DO get thirsty!

So I'm kinda stuck with what to do! Sh*t diet, with little motivation for real exercise, poor body image but worried that I'm fat in the belly OR getting a bit weird about it.

As I've said elsewhere, if you're putting on weight, then you're consuming too many calories. There's no other explanation unless you're in the tiny proportion of the population who have medical issues that cause it. But you're almost certainly not.

You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. it would definitely help, but you can do it through diet alone.

Sounds like Cola might be your issue. It's horrible stuff. Stuffed full of calories and sugar. I'd make it your absolute number 1 priority to kick it.
Even move to diet coke or pepsi max. It's still not great for you but it doesn't have calories and that makes all the difference.

In terms of the fat you're putting on, genetics determine where you put it on. Some people put it on everywhere, some people put it on their arse, some their belly, some not at all. It's perfectly understandable that you're just set up to put it on your belly and nowhere else.
What that will mean is if you lose weight, it'll come off there too.

I've got to get a grip. Took on a lot of good advice off this thread, then it all went to pot. The sun, food, alcohol. Not excuses though, bad choices. 

Abandoned the app V01 recommended so need to restart that. Failure of willpower slightly, crap / no routine / planning is other to blame. Will see out weekend and get a grip. 

My weigh in is 13 st 8 which is prob what I started with, but lost down to about 13 st and put it all back on. Damn barbecues. 

For me, it's not helped by the fact I'm minimal with the exercise, so my tactic is to aggressively attack laziness by drawing up an easy to achieve list of daily exercises and build from there. So, in all honesty I'm going have to start again with my dieting. So, not a success story to report here! But, might have to set myself punishments to,discourage failure... As in, rewards but punishments too.

not quite balls in a vice, but I'll think of something. Also I know this is really obvious but without a list or planning each meal I'll go do a weekly shop and then when I look in the fridge I think shit, yeah I shouldn't have bought half this stuff. 

Kinda disappointed but have had some good times lately at the expense of dieting though. Cutting out alcohol is hard, and I don't even drink that much. Ah well, fair play to all the lads on here who have done well. I might even check into the workout thread in due course, something I don't think I have ever done... But no point til I get off my arse

First night off all week so I decide to make it my treat day, probably drank a bit too much, had a burger and chips for dinner. 

Doesn't sound great but normally when I get burger and chips I get xtras I.e chiko roll, potato fritter or something of the sort. Plus I didn't eat anything after dinner which is unusual for me.

So I didn't go two weeks without a drink but 6 days is a big effort for me. If I only drink 1 or 2 days a week my liver will be a lot happier I'm sure.  

Happy with my treat day now need to fire up for another disciplined week at work. 

2nd weigh in today (or the day I weighed myself last week..).

Another 5lbs off.

10.5lbs in 2 weeks. 

To be fair, I've been golden.  I had a bit of my son's white chocolate Lilly thing on Tuesday, but apart from that, way less carbs (corgetti, butternut squash chips and caulk rice to replace carbs), no alcohol (don't drink any anyway mostly) means my calorie count is really protein heavy (about 1000-1250 a day).

Cravings of rubbish has mostly stopped and I'm feeling much fillet with fewer things in me.  Try and keep it going next week when we're in France.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Another 5lbs off.

10.5lbs in 2 weeks. 

To be fair, I've been golden.  I had a bit of my son's white chocolate Lilly thing on Tuesday, but apart from that, way less carbs (corgetti, butternut squash chips and caulk rice to replace carbs), no alcohol (don't drink any anyway mostly) means my calorie count is really protein heavy (about 1000-1250 a day).

Cravings of rubbish has mostly stopped and I'm feeling much fillet with fewer things in me.  Try and keep it going next week when we're in France.

1000-1250 calories? That sounds pretty low for what is usually recommended afaik. I think its mostly recommended to get about 1800-2200 or so for men to lose weight or the body goes into "power saving" mode and wont burn off fat.

When it comes to protein, based on what I've read, its good to get 100-140 grams of protein per day, at least for men. Edit: for losing weight.

Edited by Jarpie

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Another 5lbs off.

10.5lbs in 2 weeks. 

Well done!

Two things, don't be afraid to have a few more calories than that. 1000-1250 is very low. Not that that won't work, but it will be easier for you to add a few more.

Secondly, don't be disheartened when you're losing less than that. That rate of weight loss won't continue. But as long as it's coming off, you're winning!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well done!

Two things, don't be afraid to have a few more calories than that. 1000-1250 is very low. Not that that won't work, but it will be easier for you to add a few more.

Secondly, don't be disheartened when you're losing less than that. That rate of weight loss won't continue. But as long as it's coming off, you're winning!

Yea I know that.  I'd be happy with a couple of lb a week, so I'm thinking this couple of weeks is a bonus kick starter.

I just did a calorie count thing and I'm actually hitting 1500 a day.

I dropped a dress size and feel good anyway.  Just keep swimming :)  

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Another 5lbs off.

10.5lbs in 2 weeks. 

Well done.

Love reading stuff like this. I used to weigh 22 stone (around 308 pounds). I was eating a stupid amount of junk food and fizzy drinks everyday with little to no exercise. Decided to go cold turkey and cook all my own meals and picking more healthier snacks over crisps and chocolate. Add in exercise for 5 days a week and i dropped 12 stone in 1 and half years. I wasn't one for really counting calories or doing low fat or no carb diets. I just played it by eye for the first few months and corrected mistakes like portion sizes and changing things like going from full fat milk to almond milk. I still go for a takeaway every 2 weeks and i do go abit over the top, but it's one meal and as long as i keep my exercises up, i never see a change in weight gain.

Again, congrats on the weight loss and it good to see you're feeling better with getting the weight off. Keep going!

• Like 4

Â