VT'ers Dieting Thread

Midfielder

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It makes no difference.

I use normal protein powder when losing weight.

As long as you use it within your caloric deficit then there's no issue. In fact, a quick look on myprotein.com shows there is a pretty insignificant 24 calorie difference between a 50g serving of diet whey protein compared to normal whey protein.

And the diet version has more carbs and less protein. So to get the same amount of protein from the diet version you'd have to have more of it anyway, so you'd end up taking in more calories for the same amount of protein.

I didn't realise that, I never used to monitor my protein intake and it was all about calories when I drank it so even 24 calories makes a difference when you are on a calorie controlled diet. So yeah, **** it, stick to the normal stuff chap. 

Due to my minimal amount of exercise a day my general calorie rule for me is 300 breakfast, 450 lunch, 400 dinner then that leaves 350 for in between stuff and drinks and whatnot. If one day I ever start to take exercising seriously then I'll relax the calorie limit a bit :)

Just now, BOF said:

My weakness isn't sugar, it's salt.  I can eat my bodyweight in crisps.  So I don't even go down that aisle in the supermarket :)

Yeah I'll be missing that aisle too and all those snack A Jack type "we are healthy crisps" type erm crisps. Lotta crap these days marketed as healthy and it bloody well is no different 

1 minute ago, Midfielder said:

Yeah I'll be missing that aisle too and all those snack A Jack type "we are healthy crisps" type erm crisps. Lotta crap these days marketed as healthy and it bloody well is no different 

Mmmmmm 35 calorie rice cake

vlcsnap-2012-10-24-04h57m35s253.png

I started a diet of sorts just over a week ago.  I've put on about a stone since I got married, and I hate it.  Since becoming a Dad though, I just got into convenience eating.  Bad news.

I'm 38 now, 178cm and weighing in at 85.7kg (sorry for the cm and kg, I'm a Remain voter).  I was around 78kg when I got married in June 2014.

I've started going to the gym three times per week, where it's all kettle bells, battle ropes and circuits.  Hard work!  I'm basically following a plan of a palm sized portion of protein, cupped hands of vegetables (no sniggering at the back!) and a fist sized portion of carbs.  Lunch and dinner is going well, but breakfasts are difficult.  I'm getting a bit bored of eggs too!

I'm trying not to snack at all, but rather than previously where I'd have pounced on some crisps or toast I'm having fruit.  I'm still having the occasional beer, but I'm hopeful I'll be able to lose the weight.  My initial target is to be at 81.7kg by July 1st when I go on holiday.  See how we get on with that.

I think one of my biggest challenges is that I'm not that fat, so I can find it easy to think "it doesn't matter", but the truth is that I put off taking my little girl swimming for absolutely months because I didn't want to be seen in shorts and no top.

I used to live with someone who had a broken relationship with food, and I had a broken relationship with her, and deep down I know it's had a knock on effect with me.  I like to eat what I want, within reason, but I get incredibly guilty and depressed if I feel I've eaten badly.  I've written enough here though so I'll save the details for another post.

6 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

As you'll know sir, pint of Guinness is akin to a meal in itself ! 

It isn't. A pint is ~210 calories cf ~250 in Stella and ~400 in Special Brew. You'd need 8 pints to get your RDA for iron.

You can get ALL the nutrients you need from jacket potatoes and butter. (This isn't advice BTW.)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BOF said:

It leaves very little, if any, room for snacking,

I disagree.

I was on 1500 with 2 fruit stacks a day. Worked really well for me!

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I started a diet of sorts just over a week ago.  I've put on about a stone since I got married, and I hate it.  Since becoming a Dad though, I just got into convenience eating.  Bad news.

I'm 38 now, 178cm and weighing in at 85.7kg (sorry for the cm and kg, I'm a Remain voter).  I was around 78kg when I got married in June 2014.

I've started going to the gym three times per week, where it's all kettle bells, battle ropes and circuits.  Hard work!  I'm basically following a plan of a palm sized portion of protein, cupped hands of vegetables (no sniggering at the back!) and a fist sized portion of carbs.  Lunch and dinner is going well, but breakfasts are difficult.  I'm getting a bit bored of eggs too!

I'm trying not to snack at all, but rather than previously where I'd have pounced on some crisps or toast I'm having fruit.  I'm still having the occasional beer, but I'm hopeful I'll be able to lose the weight.  My initial target is to be at 81.7kg by July 1st when I go on holiday.  See how we get on with that.

I think one of my biggest challenges is that I'm not that fat, so I can find it easy to think "it doesn't matter", but the truth is that I put off taking my little girl swimming for absolutely months because I didn't want to be seen in shorts and no top.

I used to live with someone who had a broken relationship with food, and I had a broken relationship with her, and deep down I know it's had a knock on effect with me.  I like to eat what I want, within reason, but I get incredibly guilty and depressed if I feel I've eaten badly.  I've written enough here though so I'll save the details for another post.

I think the fact that you are coupling a diet with exercise is excellent. The rewards are far greater.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

This is me to a letter, minus having a little girl.

• Like 1

Same, I'm actually skinny in my build, arms, face, legs etc.. apart from just my belly. But I've gone from 94kg down to 89kg and definitely feel a little flatter in the middle. Feel like less of a pear drop and I can just about get into my medium shirts again but cant quite pull it off in public :) another few months work and I'll be there.

13 minutes ago, limpid said:

It isn't. A pint is ~210 calories cf ~250 in Stella and ~400 in Special Brew. You'd need 8 pints to get your RDA for iron.

You can get ALL the nutrients you need from jacket potatoes and butter. (This isn't advice BTW.)

A pint is circa 210 calories? Thanks, wow, that's a bad myth there against the innocent Guinness. I shall perpetuate non further! Surprising that, drooling like Homer Simpson at that thought now and knowing that it is about the same as two crappy Warburtons Sandwich Thins. 

I got up to like 97kg :o but I'm tall so I still looked pretty normally built as it was spread out with a small belly.

I think I'm down to around 94kg now. The lightest I've been as an adult was 85kg which is the goal!

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I disagree.

I was on 1500 with 2 fruit stacks a day. Worked really well for me!

Snacking in my context wasn't fruit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, limpid said:

And this is why I find dieting a real struggle.

I have no issue eating heathily, but i do enjoy a couple of beers after work. I currently need to shift a couple of stone and after a couple of failed efforts, which included healthy eating and exercise, i now realise the only way really is to vastly reduce my alcohol intake. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, av1 said:

Last night i bumped into someone I'd not seen for about 20yrs, and the very first thing out of her mouth was 'bloody hell you've put some weight on'

Yeah cheers for that love, I'd missed the small objects orbiting around my waistline. I wonder why we never stayed in touch. 

Just actually posted this in a different thread. I was out with family last night and later in night when i brought it up my mom said 'you have puts loads on though Colin, you should try and lose some weight'

Along with the fact I've recently started sweating quite badly at work when undertaking pretty low intesity tasks, I've decided i really need to lose some weight. 

I got to do something, but like a lot blokes i just hate the fecking gym and love a beer. I guess I've got to find something i enjoy so i view at as a hobbie rather than just exercise. And knock the booze on the head

Just don't drink beer. If you really want to lose weight you'll do it. 

You cannot lose weight, at least not remotely easily, if you're regularly drinking beer. 

If you need alcohol for whatever reason then change your drink. Gin and slimline tonic, vodka and diet coke, vodka and tonic. You'd be better off without any, but those drinks are as close to calorie free as you'll get.

As for the exercise, again you'll be better off for doing some, but changing your diet is the most important thing. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. 

Edited by Stevo985

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Just don't drink beer. If you really want to lose weight you'll do it. 

You cannot lose weight, at least not remotely easily, if you're regularly drinking beer. 

If you need alcohol for whatever reason then change your drink. Gin and slimline tonic, vodka and diet coke, vodka and tonic. You'd be better off without any, but those drinks are as close to calorie free as you'll get.

As for the exercise, again you'll be better off for doing some, but changing your diet is the most important thing. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. 

Yep I'm going to knock the booze on the head for a bit and seriously try and stick to a diet. 

The last time i tried though i lasted 6 weeks. I didn't have a single alcoholic drink it that time, i had 2 meal replacement shakes during the day (1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch) and a sensible meal of an evening. No rubbish in between, and i lost about 4 pound. 

I don't need a drink,  i just felt at the time a 4 pound loss wasn't worth no booze, and meal replacement shakes for 6 weeks.

But i really adamant now that i need to shift some weight so I'm just going to have to stick with it. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Yep I'm going to knock the booze on the head for a bit and seriously try and stick to a diet. 

The last time i tried though i lasted 6 weeks. I didn't have a single alcoholic drink it that time, i had 2 meal replacement shakes during the day (1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch) and a sensible meal of an evening. No rubbish in between, and i lost about 4 pound. 

I don't need a drink,  i just felt at the time a 4 pound loss wasn't worth no booze, and meal replacement shakes for 6 weeks.

But i really adamant now that i need to shift some weight so I'm just going to have to stick with it. 

**** the shakes for a start. Eat food.

Find a calorie controlled diet and stick to it. If you eat the right foods you probably won't even be hungry. You'll have cravings, sure, and you need self control to get over that. But you don't need to be hungry.

I eat salads of an evening that are, genuinely, massive. I struggle to finish them. And they have max 600 calories, and that's because I add a lot of chicken. Without the meat they'd probably be 300 max, and it's still a lot of food. Just an example, but there are plenty of others.

Then I have a load of snacks that I can graze on that are really low calorie. Sugar free jelly, flump marsmallows, healthy popcorn etc. When I'm really strict I don't have them, but to get over cravings etc they help. 

Tips to keep the motivation up. Weight yourself every week at the same time. Try a Sunday morning first thing. Go for a shit and a piss and weigh yourself. Then log it weekly. When you have those weird weeks where you don't lose anything, or you put weight on (it happens) go back and see how much you've lost total. 

Take pictures of yourself every week. Again, when you have those weeks where you wonder why it's worth it, look back at your progress and realise how much you've achieved. 

I have managed to lose a stone & half  it has taken me 9 months as a keep falling off the wagon  . Chocolate is my main vice. I have my push bike on a turbo trainer in front of my telly & try to do 2 hrs a day. I cut out nearly all the crap I used to eat crisps & general rubbish & I have a smaller plate for meals. the weight had to come off as it was making my back problem worse .

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Villaninireland said:

I have managed to lose a stone & half  it has taken me 9 months as a keep falling off the wagon  . Chocolate is my main vice. I have my push bike on a turbo trainer in front of my telly & try to do 2 hrs a day. I cut out nearly all the crap I used to eat crisps & general rubbish & I have a smaller plate for meals. the weight had to come off as it was making my back problem worse .

Congrats!

• Like 1

Â