VT'ers Dieting Thread

Midfielder

On 1.7.2017 at 17:46, magnkarl said:

A colleague of mine swears by a water fasting diet once every quarter. He'll go a whole week on only water and supplements, and he keeps claiming that it's the best thing he's ever decided to do. He says that his brain power and energy peaks around the third day because the body doesn't use so much energy on breaking down food. Has anyone tried something similar? It sounds a bit like mumbo jumbo to me, but there are several case studies that say that inducing fasting is one of the more healthy thing you can do to your body.

My diet is generally everything in moderation, I eat a lot on days where I exercise but I find that it doesn't seem to be affect my weight. I never really eat take out and make a lot of the food that we eat from scratch. I often have a smoothie in the morning with 1 banana, 50g of oats, almond milk, frozen berries (I buy the big packets at asda that cost £3) and a couple of dates. This keeps me full well into the afternoon. I also try to eat whole grain wherever I can, be it pasta, rice or bread. I think longer lasting carbohydrates are one of the main reasons I keep my weight stable.

On top of that I supplement a lot with whatever is in season in our veg garden, around this time of the year I eat copious amounts of garlic, herbs, zucchini, leafy greens and peas. A favourite of mine is a raw cashew pesto with lots of garlic, some strong cheese like mature cheddar, parsley, basil and good olive oil. Whizz it for a few minutes in the food processor and add to wholegrain pasta. It is something that takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.

Is the bread white bread or dark rye bread? Try switching to 100% rye bread, should be much more healthier than the white breads. Just check that the flour is 100% rye flour, and not mixture. The best rye breads in Finland are done from the flour which is 100% rye (I think about 75-80% of the whole bread is flour). Could be a good idea to count how many calories you consume if your weight isn't decreasing, I try to keep my caloric intake just a bit higher on the days I hit the gym, about 200-300 calories more, which comes from the protein sludge I usually drink after the gym.

I'm just about 137kg at the moment, or 21.57 stones if I made conversion correctly. I've dropped about a kilo in a week since start of march, which comes to 0.15 stones...you britbongs and your crazy units...

On 02/07/2017 at 11:56, av1 said:

Really happy with my weight loss since i started last month. 

01/06/17 - 16st - 8.

10/06/17 - 16st - 3.

18/06/17 - 15st -11.

25/06/17 - 15st - 8.

01/07/17 - 15st -6.

I've not done any exercise at all yet, and I've not massively changed what i eat. What i have done is make sure i take a packed lunch to work every day (normally a yogurt and a couple fruits), so i don't end up in Greg's, or at the chippy. And the big change i guess is knocking the booze on the head. I would normally have 2 or 3 beers after work every night, I've not had a single beer all month. 

The last week or 2 has really slowed up after a really good start. I guess you always lose more at the beginning? And i suppose I'll need to get in the gym if i want to keep it up.

my aim is 14st. 

Really, really, long day yesterday. Started at 7am and finished at 3am this morning. Passing the 24hr garage on the way home i decided to swing in and get a beer. 

After a 20hr shift it tasted absolutely wonderful, but after a really good month of dieting which i have largely attributed to laying off the booze, I've been cursing myself all day. 

I know you have to have the odd treat now and again, but im pissed off with myself. I swore i wasn't going to have another beer till i dropped below 15st. 

Edited by av1

Had Friday and Monday off work so weekend turned into a bit of a blow out. Didn't stick to the diet, but didn't eat too excessively, even though I overdid it on sweets. Weighed myself today and supposedly put on loads... not having it, yes I could understand 1/2 pounds at a push but 6... no chance, especially as I was still walking between 5-10 mile a day. I know in a couple of days I'll be less again, just take ages to stop the bloated feeling. Disappointed with myself now :angry:

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Had Friday and Monday off work so weekend turned into a bit of a blow out. Didn't stick to the diet, but didn't eat too excessively, even though I overdid it on sweets. Weighed myself today and supposedly put on loads... not having it, yes I could understand 1/2 pounds at a push but 6... no chance, especially as I was still walking between 5-10 mile a day. I know in a couple of days I'll be less again, just take ages to stop the bloated feeling. Disappointed with myself now :angry:

One's weight is not stable necessarily, it can jump around a bit...also the stuff you've eaten weights too so before they've exited, they're gonna weight too. I had pizza and some other stuff on saturday so my weight went up a bit, and now it's back below what it was before the saturday. Wait half a week or a week and your 6 pounds have probably mostly vanished.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, av1 said:

Really, really, long day yesterday. Started at 7am and finished at 3am this morning. Passing the 24hr garage on the way home i decided to swing in and get a beer. 

After a 20hr shift it tasted absolutely wonderful, but after a really good month of dieting which i have largely attributed to laying off the booze, I've been cursing myself all day. 

I know you have to have the odd treat now and again, but im pissed off with myself. I swore i wasn't going to have another beer till i dropped below 15st. 

There's nothing wrong with the odd beer.

But the fact you're annoyed by it shows that you've flipped from one beer leading to a half a dozen more, to one beer being a proper treat.

Make sure it stays that way. Feeling guilty about bad food is good imo. It shouldn't stop you eating it as treats, but it should be enough to stop you eating it all the time.

• Like 2

Had a bit of shock this morning when I got up today, weighed in 2.5kg lighter than yesterday. smashes through my first target 95kg and is a big step towards my secondary goal of 90kgs. Longterm plan is to re-evaluate at 85kgs.

Only real change to my diet lately has been a craving for fruit this past week or two.

Edited by V01
words

Decided to have a dry July, completely off alcohol. 

I said in another thread I could sink 15-20 pints on an evening. I'm going to check my weight loss at the end and then see from there.

Also cutting down on bread too. I reckon if I cut out these two you'd find my diet to be quite healthy. There's a lot of vegetables in a Bulgarian diet. Grilled meat, peppers, tomatoes and the like. I've got an addition right now to mini chili peppers stuffed with feta.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

so no need to lose any more after I had to have 4inches taken off my fitted suit

That's a bonus to all the weight loss - clothes "from the back of the wardrobe" now that fit again.

This, along with the feeling of physical well-being only inspires me to carry on.

Remember - it's "work in progress". Keep it up :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I've always kept the pair of jeans from when i used to weigh my heaviest. Always amazing to look at them and be amazed at the progress and a reminder of where i started and not wanting to get back there ever again. I can stand in just one of the legs :D

9gaxI3m.jpg

WTAF!? DUUUUUDE! You were like Rick Waller! Haha!

That's absolutely incredible! Well done!!!! 

@Daniel @Risso.....that's inspiring stuff boys ! Daniel..... i always say that you can't shift years of bad living and crap diet in  just a few months unless you go at it in a very determined and serious way. The results for you are incredible and to halve your body weight is stunning !

Go to weight watchers, get a PT instructor, just get out there and do something. I'm off to the local parkrun now and I'll fast walk a lot of it but sitting on my arse dunking biscuits in my tea is not me anymore. 

Keep it up boys !

• Like 1

@mottaloo You can change the habits of a lifetime if you put your mind to it.  I'm mid 40s now, and was tired of being overweight and unfit, so I started to eat better, cut out most of the crap I ate, and got a bit more exercise.  Good for you on the Parkrun, I did a few of those last year, before my back went.  I'm not especially quick at all, and my fastest ever 5K is 32 minutes, but it's still faster than sitting on your arse at home, as you say.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm rob182s best man Friday, so no need to lose any more after I had to have 4inches taken off my fitted suit last week (first fitting was 6 weeks before last friday, the guy who measured me thought I was ill lol).

Weren't you tempted to tell him he must have measured you wrong in the first place? :twisted:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been struggling a bit the last couple of weeks.  I've been good during the week, but then have been really hitting the nice meals and alcohol at weekends, with the end result that my weight has been fluctuatingfrom 14'10 to 15'0.

This week I've therefore put myself on the "chemical diet" for a week.  I know that faddy diets are bad, but I just want something I don't have to think about for a week, to get me closer to 14'0, which I can then hopefully maintain by eating sensibly and exercising regularly.  Anyway it's supposedly based on a diet that gets you ready for an operation.  It mainly consists of eating grapefruit; boiled eggs; a piece of chicken, steak or fish; fresh fruit and salad.  On that basis it's relatively healthy I suppose, in that it's all fresh, non-processed things, it's just very limited in terms of calories.

So far after 2 days I've lost 3lbs, so if I can drop 7lb+ by the end of the seven days, I'll be happy enough.

• Like 2

@Risso....you may feel that you're struggling but massive credit is due for not just acknowledging it but doing something about it. Of course Life and it's temptations rear their ugly head now and again. It's sounds to me that you've got back up plans on rather than saying "woe is me - i had a few beers and a slap up dinner. I hate myself :("

Keep it up dude !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

@Risso....you may feel that you're struggling but massive credit is due for not just acknowledging it but doing something about it. Of course Life and it's temptations rear their ugly head now and again. It's sounds to me that you've got back up plans on rather than saying "woe is me - i had a few beers and a slap up dinner. I hate myself :("

Keep it up dude !

Cheers fella!  Got into a pair of 34" waist trousers for the first time in ages [probably since I was 14!] today, which was nice.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Risso said:

Cheers fella!  Got into a pair of 34" waist trousers for the first time in ages [probably since I was 14!] today, which was nice.

You need to slim to squeeze into those Italian car seats ;)

Well done :)

Â