VT'ers Dieting Thread

Midfielder

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea I know that.  I'd be happy with a couple of lb a week, so I'm thinking this couple of weeks is a bonus kick starter.

I just did a calorie count thing and I'm actually hitting 1500 a day.

I dropped a dress size and feel good anyway.  Just keep swimming :)  

Great work on losing weight, but don't forget that avoiding to consume too many calories when you hit your goal is the key to keep your new weight. I've seen it happen with one of my relatives, he went on a diet -> lost bunch of weight -> went back to old habits -> gained most of them back.

When I started my own project to lose weight, and stopped consuming junk food, candy, potato chips etc crap, I accepted the fact that I can never go back to my old habits, and I made my peace with it. I haven't given up on those completely but beside of rare occurrences, I have to avoid eating that crap. I haven't gone "crazy" with my eating habits, like calculating how much exactly I need carbs (because your body and brains needs those too) or how much protein I consume exactly, but keeping protein about 100-140 g / day seems to be working for me as I also work out in gym. Although I've tried to avoid sugar as much as possible except what I get from the one or two bananas/oranges I eat daily.

The problem for me will probably be upping the calories intake when I finally hit my goal, as I've gotten used to eating pretty lightly (about 2000 calories/day, give or take 100-150), but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Edit: Found this channel a while ago, she has some great stuff in it. https://www.youtube.com/user/gaugegirl82

Edited by Jarpie
  • Like 1

Fk me it's all going wrong. Weds. Barbecue. 

Full rack of ribs

burger with the trimmings

some bloody amazing jerk chicken Caribbean fillet with rice

random nibbles including doritos style chips n dips and a white magnum  

2 bottles of Baileys 

couple beers 

some gin 

All in the space of about 7pm to about half hour ago. Man, I need to sort my self out. Pissed off with myself but damn was some good eatin

fk this. Time to exercise and stop this cycle. Free food and booze tho... hard to resist. But Jesus am I putting weight on. Life sucks 

re- hardwiring v2.0 to come

Midfielder you are a bleedin disgrace son

yes I know. Sheeeeeeeeeeeit

1447453730482516.gif

Edit. Just fat shamed myself with some disgusting pics in the exercise routine thread. I might be a bit drunk right now but fk it new phase starts tomorrow. 

Without any doubt whatsoever have to not admit defeat, but get a total effing grip. 14 f'ing stone. Jesus Christ. I'm putting weight on not losing it. Reasons... bad decisions, bad planning, not saying no, not enough exercise. AND NOT USINT THE MY FITNESS PAL APP V01 AND MANY RCOMEnd

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Fk me it's all going wrong. Weds. Barbecue. 

Full rack of ribs

burger with the trimmings

some bloody amazing jerk chicken Caribbean fillet with rice

random nibbles including doritos style chips n dips and a white magnum  

2 bottles of Baileys 

couple beers 

some gin 

All in the space of about 7pm to about half hour ago. Man, I need to sort my self out. Pissed off with myself but damn was some good eatin

fk this. Time to exercise and stop this cycle. Free food and booze tho... hard to resist. But Jesus am I putting weight on. Life sucks 

re- hardwiring v2.0 to come

Midfielder you are a bleedin disgrace son

yes I know. Sheeeeeeeeeeeit

1447453730482516.gif

Edit. Just fat shamed myself with some disgusting pics in the exercise routine thread. I might be a bit drunk right now but fk it new phase starts tomorrow. 

Without any doubt whatsoever have to not admit defeat, but get a total effing grip. 14 f'ing stone. Jesus Christ. I'm putting weight on not losing it. Reasons... bad decisions, bad planning, not saying no, not enough exercise. AND NOT USINT THE MY FITNESS PAL APP V01 AND MANY RCOMEnd

Don't worry about it.

Write it off as a cheat day or a blow out. Wake up tomorrow (today) and get back on the diet.

Get the app out and do it. The worst thing you can do is sink back into old routines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Don't worry about it.

Write it off as a cheat day or a blow out. Wake up tomorrow (today) and get back on the diet.

Get the app out and do it. The worst thing you can do is sink back into old routines.

Yeah will do, cheers. Quite a pathetic attempt so far but addressing that. 

3 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Yeah will do, cheers. Quite a pathetic attempt so far but addressing that. 

The only pathetic thing is not trying, or giving up.

If you really want to do it, you'll do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The only pathetic thing is not trying, or giving up.

If you really want to do it, you'll do it.

All true, want to use this upcoming "get measured for suit" thing on Aug 7th as my target to have lost what i have put on, easily a stone since april

Disci0pline, willpower. Diet v2.0 in progress cheers Stevo

• Like 1

Not directed at you @Midfielder, but gotta say that fat shaming, fat pride, fat acceptance, body positivity, "Every body is healthy" etc stuff what some people spout are one of the most retarded things I've ever seen people spouting. It's just an excuse by lazy slobs who doesn't want to stop stuffing their faces into horrible crap they eat. I think it's also symptom of people not wanting to take responsibility for their own choices, in most cases it's no one elses fault but their own that they've gotten fat, sure there are medical reasons why some people gain weight or can't lose it, like thyroid problems or some medication which causes it, but there are probably ways to deal with those issues in many of those cases.

It's probably also to do with people being envious of others who are willing to put work into being or getting fit, sure genetics plays part on how you look or where you get your fat etc but it's not impossible to deal with that either, it just requires work and willingness to put time into dealing with it. As someone who's fat, but steadily losing weight and getting fit in the gym, I gotta say that I have not felt better ever before in my life. Working out in the gym feels great, not just physically but also mentally, it's a great place to clear your mind and concentrate on just what you're doing in the gym. My energy levels are also much better than they were couple years ago, and I'm actually looking stuff to do as I'm unemployed at the moment, when before I just sat by my computer and browsed internet or watched youtube/tv-shows.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jarpie said:

Not directed at you @Midfielder, but gotta say that fat shaming, fat pride, fat acceptance, body positivity, "Every body is healthy" etc stuff what some people spout are one of the most retarded things I've ever seen people spouting. It's just an excuse by lazy slobs who doesn't want to stop stuffing their faces into horrible crap they eat. I think it's also symptom of people not wanting to take responsibility for their own choices, in most cases it's no one elses fault but their own that they've gotten fat, sure there are medical reasons why some people gain weight or can't lose it, like thyroid problems or some medication which causes it, but there are probably ways to deal with those issues in many of those cases.

It's probably also to do with people being envious of others who are willing to put work into being or getting fit, sure genetics plays part on how you look or where you get your fat etc but it's not impossible to deal with that either, it just requires work and willingness to put time into dealing with it. As someone who's fat, but steadily losing weight and getting fit in the gym, I gotta say that I have not felt better ever before in my life. Working out in the gym feels great, not just physically but also mentally, it's a great place to clear your mind and concentrate on just what you're doing in the gym. My energy levels are also much better than they were couple years ago, and I'm actually looking stuff to do as I'm unemployed at the moment, when before I just sat by my computer and browsed internet or watched youtube/tv-shows.

Yeah totally agreed fella. An ugly term indeed and has horrible origins to those that have been 'shamed'. Some people are opportunistic C words that get a thrill out of any way of getting a laugh or belittling someone else, with such shaming as their way of doing so. 

29 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Yeah totally agreed fella. An ugly term indeed and has horrible origins to those that have been 'shamed'. Some people are opportunistic C words that get a thrill out of any way of getting a laugh or belittling someone else, with such shaming as their way of doing so. 

Just want to make sure we understand each other as english is not my native language. I meant that the whole movement of "every body is healthy" no matter of their size or spouting nonsense about having "thin privilege" if someone else is fit is utterly retarded. I guess I'm a traitor because I want to get really fit. :D

Or if someone is telling fat people to get fit that's somehow "fat shaming". Utter bloody insanity.

19 hours ago, Jarpie said:

I think there are 2 distinct issues with fat and fat acceptance, and where I completely sympathise with one, I'm not on board with the other.

Where I do agree completely with 'the fat person' (TFP) in the discussion is that everyone should be entitled to be comfortable within their own skin.  No-one should be subjected to ridicule and made to feel embarrassed or ashamed in public.  To me that's just common decency.  So I don't think unsolicited 'fat shaming' is ever a good thing.  Not just because it's bullying, but because in all likelyhood the resulting self-esteem of that person makes it far more difficult for them to ever decide to turn it all around.  In fact it probably just encourages them to keep going down that path.  After all, it's much easier to go out walking/jogging or join a gym if you're not completely self-conscious and mortified of being in public beforehand.

Now where I do not agree with TFP is when they then go and try to say they are perfectly healthy too, and try to portray it as something for others (young people) to almost aspire to.  Ignoring the well-documented health risks.  That's completely wrong, dangerous and irresponsible.  You are what you are, and that's fine as above.  But don't try to manipulate acceptance into something more than it is.  That's where you lose my support completely.

But yeah, good luck ever poking that hornet's nest on social media :lol: 

48 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think there are 2 distinct issues with fat and fat acceptance, and where I completely sympathise with one, I'm not on board with the other.

Where I do agree completely with 'the fat person' (TFP) in the discussion is that everyone should be entitled to be comfortable within their own skin.  No-one should be subjected to ridicule and made to feel embarrassed or ashamed in public.  To me that's just common decency.  So I don't think unsolicited 'fat shaming' is ever a good thing.  Not just because it's bullying, but because in all likelyhood the resulting self-esteem of that person makes it far more difficult for them to ever decide to turn it all around.  In fact it probably just encourages them to keep going down that path.  After all, it's much easier to go out walking/jogging or join a gym if you're not completely self-conscious and mortified of being in public beforehand.

Now where I do not agree with TFP is when they then go and try to say they are perfectly healthy too, and try to portray it as something for others (young people) to almost aspire to.  Ignoring the well-documented health risks.  That's completely wrong, dangerous and irresponsible.  You are what you are, and that's fine as above.  But don't try to manipulate acceptance into something more than it is.  That's where you lose my support completely.

But yeah, good luck ever poking that hornet's nest on social media :lol: 

Yeah, although I do think it greatly depends on the person what works to get them to lose weight or at least attempt to, positive encouraging works for others and "poking them" works for others, but yeah, bullying is wrong.

Nowadays it's been turned the other way around, people who are fit, especially very fit, have started to get shit for being fit, probably by people who are themselves miserable to make others miserable too, "If I can't be happy, then no one can!" type of thing. All the social media crap we see nowadays and the "me me me me me me me me me me!"-culture what has propped up in the last decade or so is probably part of the blame. Another what I think is the blame for the "Every body is healthy" etc crap is the "You can be anything you decide you are and everyone needs to pander to it"-thing which has really come into the front in the last 4-5 years I'd say.

To mock that nonsense I've started to say that I am proud Trans-American, 'MURRICA **** YEAH! RED WHITE AND BLUE! YE-HAW!

Not go out of topic completely, when I decided to change my lifestyle, it didn't take overly long to get past the sugar etc cravings, same with heavy/greasy foods, I used to eat a lot of kebab, and one of the types I especially liked was rolled kebab with a blue cheese. I hadn't eaten those for almost a year when I decided to get one last summer, it made me feel like in a coma for the rest of the day. Haven't had that craving since then, lol.

7 hours ago, Jarpie said:

Just want to make sure we understand each other as english is not my native language. I meant that the whole movement of "every body is healthy" no matter of their size or spouting nonsense about having "thin privilege" if someone else is fit is utterly retarded. I guess I'm a traitor because I want to get really fit. :D

Or if someone is telling fat people to get fit that's somehow "fat shaming". Utter bloody insanity.

Hey Jarpie, I totally do understand and your English is faultless. I don't agree with any fat shaming nonetheless it has crept into our language and yes born out of a concept of some bastard shaming someone. Agreed on all counts. Nobody has the right to effectively bully another. 

I used the term to bully none other than myself. Alas though, good sir, there is at hand a good and bad conscience within me. BecAuse, at Tesco you can get a litre of Jack Daniels for 18 bloody quid my friend. I dunno what the calories are in that but I'm sipping on that right now. 

As for the dieting thread I will get there it just takes a lot of life changing when someone such as me, is a lazy prone-to-temptation (and great deals in the supermarket) type. 

It's like an oil tanker , needs to put the brakes on, a mile or two before it docks to come to a halt right? That's me. That oil tanker. The brakes are preparing to diet and make life changing decisions for the better and not just this poxy target I have for fitting into suit at wedding. Someone once told me 'dieting is temporary, healthy eating is a permanent lifestyle choice for the better' or something paraphrasing closely as such. 

I better get off the dieting thread now as I'm a temporary traitor and I gotta go stand outside as rural place and the Chinese is way past the 45 mins he's probably lost. Oops I've said too much. This turncoat is outta here. 

EDIT since I ordered my takeaway at 8 and it's 925 and delivery time 45 mins, by the time I get my food it'll prob be stone cold. Add to the equation that it was the only place on JUST EAT that would come out this far, doesn't bode well. My point, a weak one, is, that I probably will lose a lot of weight tomorrow morning despite the horrific calorific intake forthcoming. 

Why midfielder? 

Well, the Brads of course. 

The what?

the Brad Pitts. The shits! 

A rough takeaway once in a while is a sure fire way to lose a stone in 24 hours I fully recommend it. Should write a book, make a bit of money. The Midfielder diet. Coming soon to your local Poundland.

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Hey Jarpie, I totally do understand and your English is faultless. I don't agree with any fat shaming nonetheless it has crept into our language and yes born out of a concept of some bastard shaming someone. Agreed on all counts. Nobody has the right to effectively bully another. 

I used the term to bully none other than myself. Alas though, good sir, there is at hand a good and bad conscience within me. BecAuse, at Tesco you can get a litre of Jack Daniels for 18 bloody quid my friend. I dunno what the calories are in that but I'm sipping on that right now. 

As for the dieting thread I will get there it just takes a lot of life changing when someone such as me, is a lazy prone-to-temptation (and great deals in the supermarket) type. 

It's like an oil tanker , needs to put the brakes on, a mile or two before it docks to come to a halt right? That's me. That oil tanker. The brakes are preparing to diet and make life changing decisions for the better and not just this poxy target I have for fitting into suit at wedding. Someone once told me 'dieting is temporary, healthy eating is a permanent lifestyle choice for the better' or something paraphrasing closely as such. 

I better get off the dieting thread now as I'm a temporary traitor and I gotta go stand outside as rural place and the Chinese is way past the 45 mins he's probably lost. Oops I've said too much. This turncoat is outta here. 

EDIT since I ordered my takeaway at 8 and it's 925 and delivery time 45 mins, by the time I get my food it'll prob be stone cold. Add to the equation that it was the only place on JUST EAT that would come out this far, doesn't bode well. My point, a weak one, is, that I probably will lose a lot of weight tomorrow morning despite the horrific calorific intake forthcoming. 

Why midfielder? 

Well, the Brads of course. 

The what?

the Brad Pitts. The shits! 

A rough takeaway once in a while is a sure fire way to lose a stone in 24 hours I fully recommend it. Should write a book, make a bit of money. The Midfielder diet. Coming soon to your local Poundland.

Changing your lifestyle or habits is not easy, for me going cold turkey on most stuff worked best, but that probably won't work for everyone. There are 'tricks' on how to break up habits, the channel I linked earlier did video on it:

Not sure about chinese or other takeaway for how healthy they are, probably lot more healthier than regular junkfood like hamburgers and fries etc. Some people need a "trigger" to get them motivated, for me it was when I decided to get back fishing after almost 20 years since I did that last time. Went to the nearby lake to fish with my father, and my legs and back got tired pretty quickly and moving around was like the german WW2 tank "Maus" moving, that's when I decided "I gotta lose this 60 kilos of excess fat". There are health reasons too, such as my brother dying due heart problems at 47 for numerous reasons. Fortunately even though I've been very obese at my worst, I never had high blood sugar levels, high blood pressure or high cholesterol and I don't drink or smoke, but it was one part in me waking up to the fact that I need to change my lifestyle.

I also decided to take almost daily walks, first I couldn't even walk probably half a kilometer without my back and legs starting to ache and get very tired, but with patience, determination and persistence it wasn't probably more than 3-4 weeks till I was walking about 45-60 minutes without much trouble. I did make some mistakes though, I should've started to stretch my legs etc much more since the beginning, but as my life philosophy is "Something shit happens (or you make a mistake) -> you learn from it -> you move on", and I've fixed that since then.

My biggest problems with eating for the longest time were soft drinks, full juices (as they still have a lot of sugar from the fruits), potato chips and candy...and also kebab...the kebab meat itself isn't that much of a problem though, but the kebab meals themselves because they have a lot of meat, potatoes (like fries or in some other form) so they have a LOT of calories. Counting your calories is a good idea though, but what you should do is to count how many calories you consume first, and then see what you should drop from them, instead of going "I've now eaten 2500 calories so I won't anything else today". What you wrote about dieting vs. changing your whole eating habits is afaik very much true, because with short dieting to lose weight, there's much bigger chance of falling back into our eating habits and then regaining your weight. With quickly losing weight, especially combined with suddenly starting to exercise a lot more than before can screw with your metabolism, as your body might start to fight back the weight loss, but there are probably ways to counter that.

3rd weigh in after a week in gay paris.

2lbs off.

I did make my wife and 2 year old walk from gare du lyon to l'muss d'armee and back which is about 10 miles and we did disney land which was mental plus a walk down the Marne river.

About 25 miles total LOL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Another 5lbs off this week, which takes me to 1st 2lbs lost in 4 weeks.

Noticable in all my clothes.

For me, that's the bonus. Clothes in the back of the wardrobe for 18 months now fit me. 

However, i recently spunked £160 (online) on 2 pairs of jeans a size down as an incentive to carry on and then fit in to them. They arrived and they actually fitted me there and then.

Slightly annoyed but pleased. Lesson learnt to buy stuff in person or at least take proper measurements instead of guesstimating.

Keep up the good work @lapal_fan

• Like 2

Â