VT'ers Dieting Thread

Midfielder

I've lost two stone since Christmas. Could do with shifting another half a stone, so going to put a bit of extra effort in after tailing off for the last month or do.

• Like 3

On 11/05/2017 at 14:45, PompeyVillan said:

Huel

Worth mentioning that I've made an order of Huel. It's supposedly a full meal replacement, the idea being is that it is perfectly balanced that you can eat nothing but Huel. Some people do. 

I ordered some too a few weeks ago. 

I presume they call it Huel as they think of it as Healthy Fuel. More like healthy Gruel. The stuff is disgusting. Even with the flavours it takes an hour of constant boaking to finish one cup full.

14 minutes ago, choffer said:

I presume they call it Huel as they think of it as Healthy Fuel. More like healthy Gruel. The stuff is disgusting. Even with the flavours it takes an hour of constant boaking to finish one cup full.

The only people this stuff would work with are those people who take no pleasure in food, and they only eat because they have to or they'll die.

And those people probably don't need to lose weight.

Imo, all this will do for a normal person trying to diet is make their cravings for real food worse and make them more likely to break their diet.

Eat real food.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-13 at 19:02, av1 said:

And this is why I find dieting a real struggle.

I have no issue eating heathily, but i do enjoy a couple of beers after work. I currently need to shift a couple of stone and after a couple of failed efforts, which included healthy eating and exercise, i now realise the only way really is to vastly reduce my alcohol intake. 

I am currently on day 2 of my own diet. No junkfood and no alcohol. Doing it for 2 weeks to see how I feel. Hoping that after 2 weeks of cold turkey I can start enjoying food and drink in better moderation. For someone that genuinely loves a beer (as in for taste rather than the fact it is alcohol) I'm a little upset that at 38 I've realised the only way to stay reasonably fit and healthy is to give up the things I love. 

30 minutes ago, choffer said:

It's alright, it does take some getting used to. Try two scoops with a fresh banana, some frozen berries wizzed up. Or a banana and fruit yogurt. I didn't like the consistency just shaken. I don't often eat it on it's own because it is a bit odd, but the vanilla flavour is a good base for a smoothie.

I use the breville blender on amazon with the green lidded bottles. £20 bargain.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The only people this stuff would work with are those people who take no pleasure in food, and they only eat because they have to or they'll die.

And those people probably don't need to lose weight.

Imo, all this will do for a normal person trying to diet is make their cravings for real food worse and make them more likely to break their diet.

Eat real food.

That's a fair comment, because for me I don't want to lose weight. I just need a good breakfast and I can't stomach a solid breakfast and like the convenience of a smoothie. 

There are plenty of people that have lost weight using Huel. But good god to eat it more than twice a day would be depressing.

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I am currently on day 2 of my own diet. No junkfood and no alcohol. Doing it for 2 weeks to see how I feel. Hoping that after 2 weeks of cold turkey I can start enjoying food and drink in better moderation. For someone that genuinely loves a beer (as in for taste rather than the fact it is alcohol) I'm a little upset that at 38 I've realised the only way to stay reasonably fit and healthy is to give up the things I love. 

I'm 38 as well mate, so its taken me just as long. :(

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

27 minutes ago, av1 said:

You don't have to give them up though, you just have to have them as genuine treats.
When I'm dieting I usually give myself a blowout day every week. A day where I don't really think about food, usually culminating in a takeaway.

I still manage to lose the 1lb a week.

I'll also have at least a night out every month where I drink a lot of beer.

Now would I lose more weight if I cut these things out completely? Probably yeah. But I'd also be more likely to fall off the wagon altogether because I **** love pizza and beer and I can't give them up forever.

So yeah, you have to give up having takeaways and beers all the time. But they don't necessarily have to be out of your life completely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You don't have to give them up though, you just have to have them as genuine treats.
When I'm dieting I usually give myself a blowout day every week. A day where I don't really think about food, usually culminating in a takeaway.

I still manage to lose the 1lb a week.

I'll also have at least a night out every month where I drink a lot of beer.

Now would I lose more weight if I cut these things out completely? Probably yeah. But I'd also be more likely to fall off the wagon altogether because I **** love pizza and beer and I can't give them up forever.

So yeah, you have to give up having takeaways and beers all the time. But they don't necessarily have to be out of your life completely.

I think you're spot on Steve, I just need to get back to having a day a week to do and eat what I want. Limit the beers during the week. 

One if the hardest things is I'm a baker so I'm constantly around food. The last 2 days I've done something I've never done and brought food from home. Banana, handful of fruit and nuts and a yoghurt is all I'm allowing myself. 

Might be just in my head but I swear I feel better already. 

32 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I think you're spot on Steve, I just need to get back to having a day a week to do and eat what I want. Limit the beers during the week. 

One if the hardest things is I'm a baker so I'm constantly around food. The last 2 days I've done something I've never done and brought food from home. Banana, handful of fruit and nuts and a yoghurt is all I'm allowing myself. 

Might be just in my head but I swear I feel better already. 

It's probably not just in your head, although it undoubtedly has a psychological effect. But harness that, it's good.

It'll also work the other way, you'll have days where you're convinced you're as overweight as you've ever been and there's no point in trying. That's when it's good to have a log of your weight loss and pictures of your body so you can refer back and assure yourself that you DO look different than you did 6 weeks/months/years ago

Again this is just personal experience, but I always find the first 2 weeks of a diet the hardest. Once they're out of the way it just becomes routine.

I'm dieting at the moment as I'll be on a beach at the end of June and I don't even think about it. The odd craving here and there but nothing too hard to handle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's probably not just in your head, although it undoubtedly has a psychological effect. But harness that, it's good.

It'll also work the other way, you'll have days where you're convinced you're as overweight as you've ever been and there's no point in trying. That's when it's good to have a log of your weight loss and pictures of your body so you can refer back and assure yourself that you DO look different than you did 6 weeks/months/years ago

Again this is just personal experience, but I always find the first 2 weeks of a diet the hardest. Once they're out of the way it just becomes routine.

I'm dieting at the moment as I'll be on a beach at the end of June and I don't even think about it. The odd craving here and there but nothing too hard to handle.

Well I gave up ciggies 6 weeks ago so anything else surely has to be easier. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I'm in remission from testicular cancer and I'm not gonna hang around waiting for my body to give me another warning. The time is right; the time is now.

Excellent news chief.

I'm sure you can still fit a mixed grill in! :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, av1 said:

38 in a few weeks and need to sort my shit out. I'm not a big boozer, its food for me. Too much and the wrong type. Bit of a sweet tooth as well.

• Like 1

Me too mate.

For a couple of days last year i suffered pain like I really can't explain in one of my feet. After a blood test i was advised that my uric acid levels were high (gout). 

I was advised to lose weight, eat healthy, cut down on the booze etc. But the issue passed as quickly as it arrived so i just ignored the advice. 

Sadly, this week I've had my second really severe attack, and honestly the pain is indescribable. I've done lots of research and being overweight is a huge contributor to gout. 

So now I've got to that stage where its more than just trying to get back into the 34" jeans I've still got hanging in my wardrobe, its having an effect on my health. 

Its the kick up the arse i needed. I will do it this time. 

I'm 35 this September. I keep on getting injuries, back, hamstrings, calves etc. It's obvious to my weight is a big factor, as I'm heavier than I should be (none of that bmi crap). 

Its catch 22 for me, I start dieting and exercising, then get injured get annoyed and eat shit.

Off on holiday this weekend to the US so obviously not going to eat restricvly out there so as soon back will give the dieting another crack. Normally when I put my mind to it it's alright, the food monitoring apps really help. But recently I've been so lazy.

As peopl say above going full cold turkey won't work you need your off day for beer/ crap etc

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, av1 said:

Me too mate.

For a couple of days last year i suffered pain like I really can't explain in one of my feet. After a blood test i was advised that my uric acid levels were high (gout). 

I was advised to lose weight, eat healthy, cut down on the booze etc. But the issue passed as quickly as it arrived so i just ignored the advice. 

Sadly, this week I've had my second really severe attack, and honestly the pain is indescribable. I've done lots of research and being overweight is a huge contributor to gout. 

So now I've got to that stage where its more than just trying to get back into the 34" jeans I've still got hanging in my wardrobe, its having an effect on my health. 

Its the kick up the arse i needed. I will do it this time. 

Best of luck mate.

• Like 1

Â