VT'ers Dieting Thread

Midfielder

Hi. Couldn't see a thread for this so started this one. This thread is for anyone who wants to lose some weight and for anyone to share nutrition tips / their diets / recipes. 

If anyone wants to join me then tag along in the thread. Personally, I had my gallbladder out in Feb and ever since have had crazy changes in appetite and am gaining weight very quickly (2 stone since Feb). I'm going to keep this entirely secret from friends, family and colleagues and just get on with it but thought I'd see if anyone else wants to shake off their ego (and stick two fingers up), and admit they want to lose a few pounds and with support in this thread, do something about it and commit to it. 

If not , let's bury this thread and pretend me Midfielder, have the body of Cristiano Ronaldo and this thread never happened. :blink:

Me:

Age-  38

Height- 5'10"

current weight-  13 St 13 lbs

target weight- 11 St 5 lbs (35 lbs to lose)

target weight loss per week- 3lbs

initial ETA on target- 11 weeks

Dangerous thing to do to set a target ETA as well the summer is here, BBQs and beers etc and well, some exercise bolted on to dieting might add muscle (resistance training for example) and skew the weight loss target... so things to consider but a prelimary ETA set just to see out of interest how much this veers over the next few weeks. 

There, that's my commitment anyway. Anyone else want to "sign up" or is it a case of 

I-Really-Am-the-Odd-One-Out.jpg

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

Lost around 5 1/2 stone since March last year, hoping to lose another couple to get down to 13 1/2 stone.  

I use the fancy scales in the gym every month or so for more in depth look.

Started with this:

Age 34   Male

Weight: 20st 13lbs - 133.1kg

Height: 5'11.2" - 1.81m

Ideal weight: 9st 7lbs to 12st 12lbs  - 60.6kg-81.9kg

BMI: 40.4

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 36.9%

Ideal: 14.5 to 24.5

Last proper weigh in (about a month ago)

Age 35   Male

Weight: 15st 8lbs - 99kg

Height: 5'11.6" - 1.82m

Ideal weight: 9st 9lbs to 13st  - 61.2kg-82.8kg

BMI: 29.9

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 25.7%

Ideal: 16.1 to 25.6

Bodyfat mass has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg > 37.9kg > 36kg > 32.4kg > 32.8kg > 31.1kg > 25.5kg > 24kg > 25.4kg

Ideally it should be 15.9 to 25.3kg

The scales at home have had me at around 97.5kg for the last week or so. 

I use an app to track my daily calorie intake and then weigh myself every day. it all goes into a spreadsheet that tracks my TDEE and gives me the magic number I need to hit to stay on track.

It has worked really well so far but these last few months since starting the new job has seen my efforts slip a little with a few weeks where I've had a blow out and with me eating closer to maintenance in general. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Curious about the gall bladder thing. I had mine out, and it made no difference whatsoever to my appetite. 

Yes for me it has changed everything. Ok I have been eating bad foods more as have been deprived of them for many many months before Feb, but those aside, yeah I am always hungry and the trap I am in is there's no shortage of "I've baked this" or "these were on offer" treats from colleagues at work. So it's not just temptation, it's convenience as it's there and I'm hungry. Different strokes I guess, but since that op I have definitely got a ravenous appetite, which I'm addressing in process. 

@StefanAVFC @V01 

I'm pretty much double off Stefans position

damn V01 well done fella. It's interesting you say this about the tracker , I was thinking of doing "this" without one and pretty much going with something basic like @maqroll plan. Also because I fear if i did the tracking I might veer or tail off and stop filling it in. Also because it's hard for me to fill stuff in on the go, sometimes I'll eat lunch while working sometimes I'll lunch for 90 mins depends on work. Maybe I'll begin tracking then, as I guess like V01, you have your stats there and they're definite measuarable improvements. 

I'm the ultimate binge dieter/ eater. Will decide to lose weight, so spend about 3 weeks eating less and losing weight. Then bam one week (normally starts with a hangover), I go through a **** ton of takeaway and have to start again.

Got loads of coursework to do this weekend so no doubt will eat crap whilst doing that 

• Like 1

I won't be doing my weekly shop til end if the weekend but anyway, here's a basic plan for thurs and fri until I revise it more scientifically 

am - porridge with one banana / some grapes

sort of 10am snack protein bar

lunch - tuna sweet corn (lightest) mayo low fat and whole meal wraps x 2 , and a Hartleys no sugar jelly tub (I have these every day says only 9 calories on) 

late pm snack fruit

eve meal at home... something like small portion of salad but with pastrami or chicken

also lads the way I see it is this. That the order of meals in a day should be like an up side down pyramid, to start the day with the biggest meal, then medium at lunch, then lightest in eve but with top up snacks like for grazing. 

I think this way, that burdens the body less and allows for the fuel to be burned off in the right order , as in no heavy evening meals. 

Also this might sound daft but tomorrow I'm gonna order some sort of SciMx or whey protein in banana flavour. The way I see it is, you don't even have to be into body building or general resistance / weight lifting to benefit from protein whey... the reason being it can be supplemented into meals to increase protein intake to be fuller for longer especially and increase fuel quality in another way. Obv I'll be careful of the calorie intake with it. 

But for instance porridge sort of rolled oats i plan to not put any sugar in, and just add say two scoops of whey powder in, that'll flavour it nicely and add massive protein boost to breakfast. 

I need to look more into low GI foods too but initially the above I'm gonna go with that. Thanks lads. Nice to see others are on their own journey. Easy to just do nothing but am motivated to get back in shape 

edit- 

@V01 mate what's that app called please ?

Edited by Midfielder

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I'm the ultimate binge dieter/ eater. Will decide to lose weight, so spend about 3 weeks eating less and losing weight. Then bam one week (normally starts with a hangover), I go through a **** ton of takeaway and have to start again.

Got loads of coursework to do this weekend so no doubt will eat crap whilst doing that 

Same here fella. I am lacking dietary routine as it sounds you are. I absolutely love takeaway food too. Still though, get on board and not only with routine of patterned eating times and planning what to be eaten when, but, eating the right way will be so much cheaper anyway in the medium term for sure

edit- yeah damn @maqroll I know it but I want to ignore it but no alcohol, that's a big thing in the right direction. Ok well that's me off anything for a while unless you know a genuine unavoidable circumstance but mostly 99% off the pop from here on in til further notice. Well this sucks but it'll be worth it

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

myfitnesspal

Website with app integration.

you can scan barcodes to grab the nutritional information, search for food added by other users and create your own recipes. It takes 5 minutes at most to fill your whole day in and you'll you'll notice you make better food choices when you're checking the nutrition of everything.

tdee spreadsheet

• Like 2

Yeah thanks @maqroll this won't be a fad , I've named and shamed myself so it's only gonna get better from here and will stick to it. Not 100 per cent religiously as if I do well, bet your ass I will start hearing voices (spoken by Amstel / Guinness / port ah the list goes on, vodka and lime juice damn I'm gonna miss you all) and have to "earn" an occasional reward but I'll accept that as a step back and work it off! 

What sucks for me is I can't conveniently fit gym membership into my life as I live in ultra rural place and hour drive to work and hour back and sometimes long hours. However have some basic exercise kit in spare room:

exercise bike 

resistance bands 

dumbbells

barbell and ezy curl bar 

couple kettle bells

so I'll make some plan out of that too. It'll be a start

any efforts with dieting will only be enhanced with stepping up exercise. Cardio as you say , which I'll get from exercise bike, throw in some basic resistance from the crap I listed up above

Edited by Midfielder

28 minutes ago, V01 said:

myfitnesspal

Website with app integration.

you can scan barcodes to grab the nutritional information, search for food added by other users and create your own recipes. It takes 5 minutes at most to fill your whole day in and you'll you'll notice you make better food choices when you're checking the nutrition of everything.

tdee spreadsheet

Ah mate top lad, top lad.... I'm gonna look at spreadsheet at work tomorrow first thing as I'm typing off phone but have opened it up and looked , the app I'll download now 

yes this will all help thanks , feels good to be taking control of a positive step cheers for help lads

edit - up and away with the App, limiting me to 1500 calories a day dammmn. My ritual Sunday morn fry up is that alone :rolleyes:

Edited by Midfielder

Spreadsheet is easy, throw your details in the box at the top, then add in weight and intake every day. It takes a weekly average of your weight and intake so you can see whether you're trending up/down instead of happening to weigh yourself on a good/bad day.

7 minutes ago, V01 said:

Spreadsheet is easy, throw your details in the box at the top, then add in weight and intake every day. It takes a weekly average of your weight and intake so you can see whether you're trending up/down instead of happening to weigh yourself on a good/bad day.

Yeah cheers I'll get that set up at work. Cheers V01 and seriously that's some good work on your stats there fella , and thanks for sharing these two tools as to what helped you as I'll make them help me too nice one

I’d advise anyone dieting to try and lose half your weight cutting calories and half from exercise.

About 15 years ago I had gone up to around 15 stone from 11 and half and within 4 months had gotten down to 11 stone 3. Since then I have frequently put a stone plus on over the winter and had to lose it again.

It is certainly doable for anyone to lose 2 to 3lb a week. With 2lb a week you’d need to be in calories deficit by 1000 cals a day so aim for 500 from exercise and 500 from dieting. As a rough guide you’d be looking at 40 mins running, 40 mins on a stationary bike at a good pace, 40 mins swimming etc. I find the more you can get from exercising the better.

The most important thing is probably getting your mind right though and if you can really go at it for the first 2 to 3 weeks then the boost you will get from losing weight initially will give you some real positivity and encourage you to continue.

I’d also advise on giving yourself a bit of a treat day once a week so try to get yourself a bit of credit in over the other days. Psychologically that will also help.

Good luck to all those who are dieting.

Edited by markavfc40

@V01 You are my hero. I'm currently where you started out and still lacking in motivation. 

The rest of you nancies trying to lose half a stone here and there can do one ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

Cardio, No added sugars, no alcohol, no fried foods, no carbs. I lost 60lbs in 3 months doing it this way, 30 lbs more than I intended! (10 years ago)

This!

Its basically a Keto(genic) Diet.

I was 16.5st (105kg) at one point 4 years ago, i am now a middleweight amateur boxer at 75kg (11.8st)

For actually cutting weight keto is the easiest for me. 

I always say you can lose 2kg a week with Keto, which matches what Maqroll above.

Its easy because no carbs is your only rule, you can eat as much as you would like and whatever you like as long is there is no carbs in it. 

Â