VT'ers Dieting Thread

Midfielder

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Since then I have frequently put a stone plus on over the winter and had to lose it again.

Im the opposite, i put on weight in the Summer and take it off for Winter

Eating as much as you like with no carbs and still lose weight? Absolute nonsense! I'll try that with 6000 calories worth of bacon and see how I get on!

No foods are inherently bad for you or fattening. Portion sizes/calories are the key. Eat fewer calories than you use and you will lose weight, regardless of what you consume.

Edited by JB
Carbs in ice cream duh.
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, JB said:

Eating as much as you like with no carbs and still lose weight? Absolute nonsense! I'll try that with 6000 calories worth of bacon and see how I get on!

No foods are inherently bad for you or fattening. Portion sizes/calories are the key. Eat fewer calories than you use and you will lose weight, regardless of what you consume.

This. And cut out snacks. 

Eating three square (sensible and varied) meals a day with normal sensible portions, minimal carbs/fat and no snacking in between apart from fruit and veg and you'll be fine. Exercise will help of course but you'll be fine regardless.

If you still want to eat a little bit of the crisps, chocolate and have the odd beer, wine and full fat pop etc... that's when exercise will be a mandatory requirement. 

The hardest part of dieting is the boring, repetitive nature of 'healthy' foods, cravings for sugar, fat and grease and your own will power/motivation. I did the whole depressing cottage cheese, porridge, chicken & salad, no carbs, corn crackers malarkey and it ended up just pissing me off.

Remember, it isn't easy so don't give up. Blips will happen. Treat days once a week but crucially this doesn't mean just slather yourself in pepsi, chocolates, sweets and burgers non stop from dawn to dusk! Its not a 'eat as much of whatever you want' day, its a 'have that snickers at 11:00 and take away for tea' day. Then back on it the next day.

Remember 3 sensible meals a day with portion control, minimise carbs/fat/sugar and no snacking apart from fruit.

A few posts telling people to minimise fats and carbs, not eat sugar etc. What is the science behind that? They are valid ways of cutting calorie intake but absolutely not the only (best?) way to lose weight and certainly not necessary.

Being able to adhere to a calorie-restricted diet is the key. If that means eating a chocolate bar every day to reduce the risk of binges then that's fine. You don't have to avoid any food groups to lose weight.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JB said:

A few posts telling people to minimise fats and carbs, not eat sugar etc. What is the science behind that? They are valid ways of cutting calorie intake but absolutely not the only (best?) way to lose weight and certainly not necessary.

Being able to adhere to a calorie-restricted diet is the key. If that means eating a chocolate bar every day to reduce the risk of binges then that's fine. You don't have to avoid any food groups to lose weight.

You need a bit of both agreed but not too much. Jacket potatoes are great carbs but loading your meal up with rice or pasta isn't so great. Portion control is essential with dieting. 

17 minutes ago, JB said:

I don't know if there's science behind it, but whenever I'm cutting and I hit a bit of a plateau I always lower my carbs for a couple of weeks and it seems to kick start things again, even though my calories remain the same.

In general I agree with you though. Calorie control is how you lose weight. Fad diets are usually just a weird way of tricking you into eating less calories.

Loading your meal up with anything isn't so great if you're trying to lose weight!

Fats and carbs are essential for health and as with anything, don't stop you losing weight if you don't eat too much. Building your meals around a source of protein and some fibre then working outwards is good advice, though. 

As I said before, calories are key. The biggest trap I see people falling into is snacking on cereal bars and stuff like that because they're "healthy" when in fact they often have just as many calories, if not more, than a bag of crisps or a chocolate bar.

The diet industry is huge and companies are quick to mislead and cash in on people who don't know any better. I saw a nutritional comparison of Belvitas (the breakfast biscuits women eat to try and lose weight) and Hob Nobs that was very interesting... Stuff like cereals with 'added protein' that only have at most an extra 2g per serving and a load more calories as well. Add that to the plethora of shit advice in the media and it's a friggin' minefield.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Fad diets are usually just a weird way of tricking you into eating less calories.

Exactly.  You don't even need the word 'fad' in there.

I watched a documentary where they put people on various different diets that all claimed to work because of various different reasons.

Everyone basically lost the same amount of weight and the conclusion was that psychologically, by simply being on a(ny) diet, people consciously eat less, and that's what was doing it.  Even people who were allowed to eat as much of certain types of food according to their diet didn't end up doing so.

Just now, BOF said:

I watched a documentary where they put people on various different diets that all claimed to work because of various different reasons.

Everyone basically lost the same amount of weight and the conclusion was that psychologically, by simply being on a(ny) diet, people consciously eat less, and that's what was doing it. 

That, and the fact they were being filmed! 

Just now, mjmooney said:

That, and the fact they were being filmed! 

Ah now, I think the psychology behind the conclusion in itself is sound.  If you're doing anything properly in order to lose weight then you will eat less of it, even if you're told you don't have to.

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know if there's science behind it, but whenever I'm cutting and I hit a bit of a plateau I always lower my carbs for a couple of weeks and it seems to kick start things again, even though my calories remain the same.

In general I agree with you though. Calorie control is how you lose weight. Fad diets are usually just a weird way of tricking you into eating less calories.

That's probably to do with glycogen storage. Generally only comes into play when you're already in pretty good shape :).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Everyone basically lost the same amount of weight and the conclusion was that psychologically, by simply being on a(ny) diet, people consciously eat less, and that's what was doing it.  Even people who were allowed to eat as much of certain types of food according to their diet didn't end up doing so.

Countless controlled experiments out there with people eating McDonalds or pizza etc. every day and losing loads of weight, simply because they kept their calories in check!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I kind of agree with that, in terms of that when people just "cut down" on food it never works. You have be tracking and really thinking about what you're eating.

But what I meant was more that if you're doing, say, the 5 + 2 diet (eat what you want for 5 days and then fast for 2 days) then all that is really doing is making your average calories over 7 days lower than they would be normally. If you eat 3500 calories on those 5 days and then nothing on the 2 days then you're averaging 2500 a day which is enough to lose weight for some.

So there's no special formula, it's just tricking you to average a low number of calories.

I've been writing down what i have eaten, as the day progresses, so as to enter into the app that V01 recommended. Damn, to see it written down is actually quite shocking, none of it is what anyone would call bad, but it is the quantity.

Definitely about the portion control as many have said. It is 2pm and i think i am borderline near / at my 1500 calorie suggested limit. Quite eye opening and revealing. Definitely a motivator to cut out these pointless snacking habits! this is from a 6am morning onwards though but damn this looks like a lot 

its only 2pm and :

drinks 5 cups of coffee with semi skimmed milk and about 1 litre of water with no added sugar Robinsons

breakfast 1 x two-scoop protein shake (skimmed milk) 1 banana 2 tangerines

snack at about 10am, 1 chicken cup a soup - low fat / low salt (why did i even have this, just bad routine carried forward)

lunch at 12, salad leaves, lettuce, splash of balsamic vinegar, three large ham slices, two pickled gherkins and a dollop of chutney but with two "sandwich thins" edit, oh yeah and a Hartley's jelly for sugar fix (only 10 calorie one though)

and have resisted all the biscuits , cakes and other crap that's ever present here. Anyway, that's just a day 1 analysis and will need to do much much better.

Edited by Midfielder

Huel

Worth mentioning that I've made an order of Huel. It's supposedly a full meal replacement, the idea being is that it is perfectly balanced that you can eat nothing but Huel. Some people do. 

I don't want that, but I do want to improve my diet (and not lose weight!) and a convenient proper meal replacement. I'll be using it for breakfast to start off with and if it works, I'll consider it for lunch too. 

I know two folk that use it this way and absolutely swear by it. I'll be trying it on it's own and in my regular fruit smoothies.

It's meant to be excellent for those look to lose weight.

Huel is a nutritionally complete powdered food that contains all the proteins, carbs, and fats you need, plus at least 100% of the European Union's "Daily Recommended Amounts" of all 26 essential vitamins and minerals. So you know you won’t be deficient in any essential nutrients.

14 hours ago, V01 said:

myfitnesspal

Website with app integration.

you can scan barcodes to grab the nutritional information, search for food added by other users and create your own recipes. It takes 5 minutes at most to fill your whole day in and you'll you'll notice you make better food choices when you're checking the nutrition of everything.

tdee spreadsheet

Yeah i use it too and i stick to it fairly rigidly. It's interesting to see the food i eat and the calorific value looking back at me once I'd input it all.

Lost about 2 stone so far since start of jan and want to shift another 2 by end of the summer. 

Bread was my achilles heel cos of it's convenience but have hardly had a slice since jan 3rd which is pleasing as I'd get through a loaf in little over 2 days :(

Oh....i'm 51 yrs old currently 111.5kg down from 127kg and aiming for 100kg, then I'll reset my targets.

Great topic by the way 

Â