General Election 2017

ender4

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I basically agree with a lot of your post, but I must stress that she didn't 'inherit' this - this is her job and she very much wanted it. 

No sympathy here. 

Yes I know she wanted it, by inheriting it I meant that she was appointed PM in a pretty pitiful leadership race rather than elected in a GE which in some people's eyes delegitimises her (and Brown before her).  I can see why she'd want a mandate of her own, but what followed was abysmal.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

i've warmed to Corbyn during this campaign but is there another 60 seats out there for Labour to win? If so, how?

Winning it is v tough. First thing they need to do as a party is understand the working class, whatever that now is. 

Imo that's the people who do not suit university but still want career training, the ones who need a home but will never access council housing, people with health issues that were previously affected by Labour and small business owners who are really worried about tax implications. Few others but these come to mind straight away.

If they can attract those guys I think there's a good chance they can grab a few more seats in Scotland and the South, which might give them enough of a push to oust the Conservatives from being dominant.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

3 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

LOL at Jess Phillips being all pro-Corbyn now. That's not what the vile, two-faced bitch said when I met her earlier this year. Wish I recorded the conversation now. 

Her previous views on Corbyn are well documented! Is she suddenly a fan now?! 

Just now, Xela said:

Her previous views on Corbyn are well documented! Is she suddenly a fan now?! 

Politicians, bread, buttered, etc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

LOL at Jess Phillips being all pro-Corbyn now. That's not what the vile, two-faced bitch said when I met her earlier this year. Wish I recorded the conversation now. 

Don't actually think thats surprising. The main thing against Corbyn was his perceived un electability. He's quashed that now.  

Just now, Davkaus said:

Arlene Foster has said that our British way of life is under threat from extremists.

A rare moment of introspection from the DUP? :) 

Does that mean we are getting more police then ? 

A view from the liberal wing of the tory party.

...Take, for instance, the dinner I attended 18 months ago, held under Chatham House rules with a cabinet minister known for reformist tendencies. We expected to hear a little about the progress the party still needed to make in winning hearts, as opposed to heads. Instead, the minister was quite clear. “The Tory detoxification process is complete. Only people who like to fret still talk about it.” So much for that, then.

Our dinner guest wasn’t alone. As long ago as 2012, a group of Tories popped up in the press to tell us modernisers to stop fussing. A group calling themselves Conservative Voice complained to the Telegraph: “In recent times, there has been an almost evangelical focus on the ‘modernisation’ or ‘detoxification’ of the Conservative brand. The result has been a growing disconnect between the party leadership and the grassroots, and a loss of clarity, principle and policy direction.” The group’s founders included David Davis and Liam Fox; other signatories were Priti Patel and Dominic Raab.

We’ve heard more about those names in the last year than we have for a long, long time. Theresa May brought Davis and Fox back into government; and despite prior disagreements, she promoted Patel and Raab. She may have once talked the talk on modernisation, but May has presided over a great rejection of the Tory detoxification project. The result – not unlike trying to take a shortcut on a colon detoxification – is today’s electoral mess.

May brought one other person back to her campaign team: Australian strategist Lynton Crosby. Much ink has been spilt elsewhere on the failures of his campaign, but one point needs to be made louder, stronger. After the racist campaign he ran against Sadiq Khan on behalf of Zac Goldsmith, Crosby should never have been let near another Conservative campaign. That point is moral, above all. But it’s also strategic. Crosby thrives on the politics of fear, and the British voters have proved they can see through it. Or as one veteran Conservative candidate told me in the early hours of this morning: “Lynton Crosby can f*** off back to Australia and leave his knighthood behind.”

The buck with all this stops with Theresa May. It is impossible for her to remain in No 10, whatever she may think as she struggles to form a coalition government. But her real crime is the people she allowed to flourish at the top of her party. These are the flat-earthers of Tory toxicity, Crosby being chief among them. Perhaps Conservative Campaign Headquarters will finally learn what the rest of us know in our bowels: never abort a detoxification process halfway through.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

i've warmed to Corbyn during this campaign but is there another 60 seats out there for Labour to win? If so, how?

Well for a start they can start to target Scotish seats in a way they wouldn't have imagined before last night. Tories took seats because people wanted to vote against IndyRef 2 which left them with Tories and Labour, for many Tories would have been the safer bet because of the worries that Labour may have relied on SNP to do any deals etc. With IndyRef now effectively sidelined for a while that should provide some fertile ground. 

In UK they reach out to rest of Labour Party and unite around a platform they can all agree on. He's shown the centrists he isn't election kryptonite so there will be willingness from them, in return he can also knock of some of the rougher edges off manifesto to broaden the church. 

Also as we've seen politics changes real fast if Tories own and hobble through Brexit the appetite for a change will again change. 

All that maybe pie in the sky but it shows there are ways to build on last night. 

May is basically buggered here, all it needs is 3 'progressive' tory MPs to vote against basically anything and the opposition can stop anything she wants to do. Not a cat in hell's chance of forming a coalition with the DUP, and I imagine as others have said, it will be her own party that does for her. Will be another election, and I predict the tories getting royally panned for causing all this trouble. 

46 minutes ago, Xela said:

Because she has been a car crash of a politician for as long as anyone can remember and every faux pas just compounds things?

Its not as though other politicians get an easy ride is it? Is May only getting abuse because she's a woman? Did Gove only get abuse because he looks like a muppet? :)

Would it be ungallant to point out that the female party leaders and front bench candidates have done particularly badly in the election?

May lost 21 seats

Sturgeon lost 20 seats

Lucas's share of the vote went from 3.8% to 0.2%

Abbott couldn't take the pace

14 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I supported Jerry Evans (Lib Dem) throughout his campaign and I feel the same about Godsiff, Jerry was trounced because of a swing (third time that's happened to him now) and Hall Green gets an apathetic, disinterested MP for another few years.

My god do we need electoral reform!

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I doubt you'd be so generous had a Mail article done similar  :P

Accepted. But the two papers are not just different politically, the Mail is a lot more genuinely nasty to people (which isn't to ignore the failings at the Mirror).

• Like 2

Been on the road since 05:45 so sorry for the dumb question but do we have a government yet? Rioting? The undead walking among us? Has May resigned? 

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

May is basically buggered here, all it needs is 3 'progressive' tory MPs to vote against basically anything and the opposition can stop anything she wants to do. Not a cat in hell's chance of forming a coalition with the DUP, and I imagine as others have said, it will be her own party that does for her. Will be another election, and I predict the tories getting royally panned for causing all this trouble. 

The DUP are principled in name only. That shower will do anything for power. This is a re-run of Major in the 90s.

Â