Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is where the US / NATO need to be clear on where the lines in the sand are in terms of escalation. 

And China, and India.

Personally I think Xi has communicated his lines clearly, nuclear/chemical warfare will not be tolerated, or else I think Putin would've used sarine gas already like he did in Syria.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

He's basically going to annex the Ukranian territories and force their men into joining the Russian army, as they will now be Russians and therefore can be mobilised. He won't be sending any useful Russian soldiers. It's another sad and tragic stage of a battle he is losing. On the nuclear threat, who is he going to nuke? The newly annexed territories? Kyiv? That bit is as vague as it has always been. 

40 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Reminds me of a war museum I went to in Vietnam. No acknowledgement of Vietnamese casualties in a battle where their casualties outnumbered American casualties by a factor of five. Typical communist prop, unfortunately.

Russia isn't communist.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jareth said:

He's basically going to annex the Ukranian territories and force their men into joining the Russian army, as they will now be Russians and therefore can be mobilised. 

Why wouldn't those "soldiers" immediately surrender as soon as they got close to any fighting?

31 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Russia isn't communist.

It's a dictatorship.

As for the current situation Russia holds sham votes, annexes Donbas, claims victory and then that region becomes a mess of insurgency/warfare/constant fighting for years and years and years.

Also there's no chance Russia uses Nukes or Chemical weapons. They aren't brain dead. 

Edited by villa89

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Why wouldn't those "soldiers" immediately surrender as soon as they got close to any fighting?

I imagine they would ASAP - it's another stage of the battle where he's going to do everything possible to escalate whilst not sending the sons of better off Russians to war. 

This is the last throw of the dice by Putin. He hasn't the support for full mobilisation from his peasants or his so called external allies. For him to be pushing for annexation of territories whist battles are still ongoing is utter panic. 

• Like 1

I'm reading that mobilisation will be really difficult and complicated for Russia. Nobody to train new troops, lots of officers died in war already, the rest of them are in Ukraine. 

Seems Putin aim is to pack the defensive line with raw recruits. To slow or stop any Ukraine offensives and to hold the territory he has got now in a type of stalemate 

Just now, AshVilla said:

An extra 300k troops won't be enough.

He needs at least a million to even be able to hold territory they capture.

Dripping in another 300k men will just result in many more deaths for Russia.

Not calling up any more troops would be giving up on the war. Ukraine would win and retake the occupied territory. He needs these troops to hold the line

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Not calling up any more troops would be giving up on the war. Ukraine would win and retake the occupied territory. He needs these troops to hold the line

It won't work. It really is just chucking more meat into the grinder

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He needs these troops to hold the line

I think that is where he is heading long term - wanting to hold that line and take the parts already occupied. The nuclear threat is there to ensure that particular line is held. It's a bit desperate given the momentum Ukraine currently have, and they aren't stopping certainly not at this point. 

Â