• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

3 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

This worries me in all honesty. 

I think the Russians will see this as more than just funnelling in a few anti tank missiles. 

14 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Why to the USA first? Shouldn’t they just transfer them to Ukraine?

As I understood it Poland are more safe if it is the US who gives them to Ukraine.

I read this thread and the news but never comment, largely through lack of knowledge of the details. However, I'm really confused by one element of this as I can't get my head around the basic thinking of the Russian population or any fear they may have. It's not that important but is relevant.

Scenario 1 (what we're lead to believe as I understand it); the population are being kept in the dark and believe Russia are saving Ukrainians from Nazis in the non-war.  If this is the case, a) huge numbers of youth would access global news and b) why wouldn't your average person on the street question why all these major chains are leaving Russia and they suddenly can't access social media or entertainment.

Or

Scenario 2 (which features one element we're also led to believe); the population are scared to object/question. So why bother misleading them about the war at all? Tell them the truth and go completely despot.

Basically, I don't understand why, if the people have no power, they bother trying to cover it up. And if the people do have power, how come even in this day and age they have neither been able to access free media or question why the rest of the world has isolated them? I'm not exactly youthful and I've known about Tor networks for over a decade!

I don't understand the thinking process of a normal Russian in Russia.

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Also, they may need to de-NATO some equipment on board

Indeed they will. ITAR is extremely strict and extremely toughly enforced.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I read this thread and the news but never comment, largely through lack of knowledge of the details. However, I'm really confused by one element of this as I can't get my head around the basic thinking of the Russian population or any fear they may have. It's not that important but is relevant.

Scenario 1 (what we're lead to believe as I understand it); the population are being kept in the dark and believe Russia are saving Ukrainians from Nazis in the non-war.  If this is the case, a) huge numbers of youth would access global news and b) why wouldn't your average person on the street question why all these major chains are leaving Russia and they suddenly can't access social media or entertainment.

Or

Scenario 2 (which features one element we're also led to believe); the population are scared to object/question. So why bother misleading them about the war at all? Tell them the truth and go completely despot.

Basically, I don't understand why, if the people have no power, they bother trying to cover it up. And if the people do have power, how come even in this day and age they have neither been able to access free media or question why the rest of the world has isolated them? I'm not exactly youthful and I've known about Tor networks for over a decade!

I don't understand the thinking process of a normal Russian in Russia.

The video posted just up from yours goes into a lot of detail on this. 

32 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

As I understood it Poland are more safe if it is the US who gives them to Ukraine.

I don't see how, if this little secret had made it to the highly confidential VT, I reckon Putin has one or two spies who might work it out as well.

• Like 1

Wow, I had no idea just how much Oil Venezuela has. They could easily replace Russia. 

Does it ALWAYS follow that where there is Oil there is Gas? 

I know they're a other nation ruled by a Dictator but at least they're not literally invading their neighbours currently. 

Why are all nations rich in oil so **** up? 

Anyway they could buy the world some time whilst we transition to green power. 

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wow, I had no idea just how much Oil Venezuela has. They could easily replace Russia. 

Does it ALWAYS follow that where there is Oil there is Gas? 

I know they're a other nation ruled by a Dictator but at least they're not literally invading their neighbours currently. 

Why are all nations rich in oil so **** up? 

Anyway they could buy the world some time whilst we transition to green power. 

Norway says hi!

I read somewhere that Norway has an astonishing amount of oil that they’re planning to leave there as they’re going to phase out carbon fuels. I presume with the right incentives in co2 quota adjustments they could produce a lot more for the common good.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

FIFA and UEFA suspended Russia last week I thought?

There was a Polish leak that FIFA intended to move the play off Russia were involved in from March to June so that things might have calmed down.

Turns out they only did so with the game Ukraine are involved in and stuck with their initial decision to boot out Russia.

If we want to give FIFA the benefit of the doubt maybe that was their plan all along and the Polish source got it wrong. It's FIFA thou so more likely they tried but failed to keep Russia and their money in the tournament but the negative press got too bad.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This worries me in all honesty. 

I think the Russians will see this as more than just funnelling in a few anti tank missiles. 

Only fair, but certainly a game changer. Putin better tell them to move that convey pronto.

Â