London attack March 2017

sne

1 hour ago, trekka said:

Firstly, do you think it's wise to admit on a message forum that you have a friend who works there? Secondly, do you think it's wise to admit on a message forum that he tells you things? 

Ok trekka firstly have I actually gone into details at what the attacks consist of? No I haven't you know why? Because I don't know myself what these attacks consist of. There is a difference of being told attacks have been foiled then actually being told classified information. Please tell me where I described the level of attacks? 

Secondly it isn't classified information as if you look online before accusing people "of making things up" media have reported in the past thAt terrorist attacks have been foiled. Your making out as if I have gone into on depth information which I have no idea about and I don't have a right to know.

thirdly Its not a crime to tell certain people you are involved as mentioned above. So don't start throwing acts at me trying to intimidate me when I know all this information already and don't ever accuse me of making things up, I find that very insulting and very rude. 

I might not post things that everyone agrees with fair enough, and I accept that but I never lie. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He's the most powerful man in the world. Are you seriously comparing him to some random people in a room? Also what happened to freedom of speech?

Every single person in that room has extreme views. Don't down play that then go off on a rant about trump. Yet again Islam gets a free pass.

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

@markavfc40 I couldn't find the video, but you can use the woman's statement that she made today.

https://tellmamauk.org/

I didn't see the big deal about this picture. I thought straight away that she was probably on the phone to her family or friends letting them know she was safe.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Ok trekka firstly have I actually gone into details at what the attacks consist of? No I haven't you know why? Because I don't know myself what these attacks consist of. There is a difference of being told attacks have been foiled then actually being told classified information. Please tell me where I described the level of attacks? 

Secondly it isn't classified information as if you look online before accusing people "of making things up" media have reported in the past thAt terrorist attacks have been foiled. Your making out as if I have gone into on depth information which I have no idea about and I don't have a right to know.

thirdly Its not a crime to tell certain people you are involved as mentioned above. So don't start throwing acts at me trying to intimidate me when I know all this information already and don't ever accuse me of making things up, I find that very insulting and very rude. 

I might not post things that everyone agrees with fair enough, and I accept that but I never lie. 

Worth noting the head of the Security Service said in the media that they had foiled 12 major attacks in the U.K. between mid 2013 and mid 2016.

Regardless of where you heard it it's hardly DV level info.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Awol said:

Worth noting the head of the Security Service said in the media that they had foiled 12 major attacks in the U.K. between mid 2013 and mid 2016.

Regardless of where you heard it it's hardly DV level info.

I don't have any problem with that at all.  It was the implied "my friend in MI5 told me" that left the imagination running.  @Demitri_C apologies if it came across as a personal attack (it really wasn't intended to be and in hindsight I should have been more tactful).  Let's leave it at that.  EDIT: You've got a PM.

Edited by trekka
  • Like 4

To suggest you have a friend in MI5 and that he's told you stuff, no matter how 'bland' is either adding nothing to the conversation. As you say, it's nothing you couldn't already read in the Mail or the Sun or on here. Or, there was a hint that you know some people that know and share some secret stuff? 

I'd suggest that someone with genuine access to more detailed information would keep their mouth shut. Someone with access to the same information as can already be accessed elsewhere, is simply posturing. I do appreciate not everyone in MI5 is a ninja secret agent. Some of them work in admin., some in the canteen.

But yes, perhaps it's time to draw a line under a very minor very petty point. It's one of the obvious after effects of one of these horrific incidents that we get anecdotes and rumours and bickering. People being accused of being apologists, people being accused of taking advantage of the situation to further their little agendas. I'm not talking specifically about on this board, I'm talking about generally, out there.

Personally, I get tetchy when all the usual suspects wheel out their ignorant cut n paste arguments about islam and about brown people and about weird right wingers looking to tighten the noose on our freedom. I'm neither an apologist or a 'hawk'. I just want a bit of **** calm common sense. No wall building and no surrender.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

and no surrender.

You were doing really well promoting harmony and then you went and offended the Catholics in Northern Ireland :) 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

You were doing really well promoting harmony and then you went and offended the Catholics in Northern Ireland :) 

D'you know what, I actually realised that when a wroted it. But decided **** 'em, I'm keeping it in if I'm having a middle class freedom rant. 

I've split this out from the ISIS thread as the attacker seems to have had nothing to do with ISIS. The only reference to ISIS is a claim by the Amaq agency which fails to name the attacker.

Also the attack doesn't appear to be related to his religion. Nothing has been reported about him leaving any kind of video or other message explaining his actions so at this point claiming that the attack was because of his religion is unjustified.

This is what the "breaking" tag is supposed to be used for - this should have been posted in a new thread.

22 minutes ago, limpid said:

I've split this out from the ISIS thread as the attacker seems to have had nothing to do with ISIS. The only reference to ISIS is a claim by the Amaq agency which fails to name the attacker.

Also the attack doesn't appear to be related to his religion. Nothing has been reported about him leaving any kind of video or other message explaining his actions so at this point claiming that the attack was because of his religion is unjustified.

This is what the "breaking" tag is supposed to be used for - this should not have been posted in a new thread.

Haven't Isis said he was one of their soldiers? Also I'd definitely say it was to do with his religion. 

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This might sound ignorant and please forgive me if comes across like that but I have seen no evidence to suggest this is a terrorist attack more like a crazy person trying to hurt innocent people. 

I'd definitely say it's a terrorist attack in the name of Islam.

27 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Haven't Isis said he was one of their soldiers? Also I'd definitely say it was to do with his religion. 

No. Did you read my post? A single press agency have stated ISIS claim it, but they couldn't even name the individual which suggests he had nothing to do with them.

I suppose you can say it if you like, but what are you basing your opinion on?

• Like 1

There's nothing really to go on yet with what it was. For it to be terrorism there needs to be a political motive, it needs to have a message behind it that the perpetrator understood. So far that doesn't seem to have appeared.

It could just be someone losing it. Unfortunately for some, it still remains possible for a Muslim to commit a heinous violent act and it be nothing more than a moment of madness or the actions of a complete word removed that had no more meaning than any random act of violence.

It struck me almost immediately that it seemed to be a slightly desperate act. I can see why someone would pick Parliament as a target. But... It's one of the most guarded places in the country. You aren't going to get very far with a knife. Even with the car. If it does turn out to be an intended terror attack, it doesn't seem to have been very well thought through, and as said, seems desperate. Unfortunately even with that desperation a vehicle and the surprise was enough to cause horror. A softer target and more thought? Sobering.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, limpid said:

No. Did you read my post? A single press agency have stated ISIS claim it, but they couldn't even name the individual which suggests he had nothing to do with them.

I suppose you can say it if you like, but what are you basing your opinion on?

Isis have urged supporters to carry out attacks using vehicles and it is the weapon of choice at the moment. Other people have been arrested over the incident and it is believed he was radicalised in prison and was also being groomed prior to the attack. Apparently he was not a lone wolf and was part of a bigger conspiracy.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Isis have urged supporters to carry out attacks using vehicles and it is the weapon of choice at the moment. Other people have been arrested over the incident and it is believed he was radicalised in prison and was also being groomed prior to the attack. Apparently he was not a lone wolf and was part of a bigger conspiracy.

ISIS also ask supporters to make it clear that it is a terror attack for example by making a video explaining why they are doing what they doing. That didn't happen here.

"Believed" according to who? "Apparently" according to who? Any actual evidence?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, limpid said:

ISIS also ask supporters to make it clear that it is a terror attack for example by making a video explaining why they are doing what they doing. That didn't happen here.

"Believed" according to who? "Apparently" according to who? Any actual evidence?

I'm not in the know I'm just saying what's being reported. I'm not saying he was directly involved with Isis but my guess is he supported them. Wasn't he on MI5 watchlist? 

Aren't Isis getting annihilated in the Middle East?  Islamic terrorism may be done in their name by their 'soldiers' in Europe but they can't organise the attacks any more.  Once Isis is defeated, there will still be Islamist terrorists doing it in the name of whoever replaces them.

Â