17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Genuine mate.

I am as peeved as you but wanted your take on the game as a whole if you attended.  

Yes, I did and I guess you can tell.....I am really not happy.

I hear all the reasons.....injuries etc and I do get all that, but not enough aggression and passion from players who played tonight.

They (preston)were quick out the traps and hustled and bustled us off the ball, we in reply, stood off reluctant to give them back as good as what we got....poor in my book.

They out fought us in our own back yard, unforgivable......a guy shouted behind me at half time....."embarrassing" and it was.

after Saturday.....I knew this was coming.....for sure there was poor team selection and injuries play a part.....but **** me they have to do better than that, the technique was poor and they played straight in to the hands of Preston, who reminded me of a Neil Warnock team.

There are so many things that we come second at i don't know where to start....so I guess a point was welcome, when in reality if we was giving what we should....a win should be the only result.

In my opinion, we are our own worst enemy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

So we where lucky to have got the point from the game then @TRO

The Fulham game was describe as day we where not at the races and all over the place at times, was it a case of this again from the word go?

It's worrying as even when I we where on the winning run something silently inside asked me.. what would happen if one gets injured.. we will cope fine, but we have had more than just one.

Without leaning on the injuries too much here, we still should be doing better in our position. Only 10 days ago we had a full bill of health and in that time we have on and off lost 4 key players to injury. That's a blow, however we do have the quality here in the waiting on the bench surely waiting to be able to step up and take the place?

Is it the setup and formation? is it players in certain positions? do we need to shuffle and tinker a few?

I would say it would be refreshing if he did and maybe ripped this one off the wall and start with something new, until our winning formula plan A is available to use again then roll the dice for another game.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

It wasn't a good performance very prop in fact. But we absolutely had no creative spark any side would be In trouble of that happened.

The one thing i will say fingers crossed it doesn't sound like it will be long term injuroes as bruce woukdnt answer been they will be back. Might be touch and go injuries.

Snodds was just ill so hopefully that wont be too serious. But we are struggling.

Bruce needs to start using lansbury. He is quite creative and hasnt had a look in and it's been unfair. He was very good against Leeds then started one game and then hasnt played at all

Can handle one or two below par but last night we’re more like 7 or 8 - hard to pick a man of match in all honesty - I feel Bruce  needs now to make changes for Saturday with hogan, hourihane , Jedi and Hutton ,left out for me and Taylor coming back with grabban , lansbury and Elmo .

i like Hutton  effort but he constantly got in decent positions and had to come back on his right foot - he’s earned his place recently but time for Taylor to get another go .

Would love to see o hare replace onomah but don’t think Bruce has the balls to do so .
Edited by Eastie

I honestly think the formation and line up set the tone of the match. We went looking not to lose. If we win on Saturday then it isn't a bad point. If we don't win then we need to somehow find 8/9 wins from only 12 games. 

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Preston have to be given credit for our inability to play last night. Good footballing side when they stopped all the time wasting and a nasty side too.

Not the easiest team to play!

I dont give them any credit. they were the biggest time wasters ive seen at villa park in years. Millwall I had more respect for us they completely battered us. Preston were just dirty and time wasters. Neil is a cock too 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont give them any credit. they were the biggest time wasters ive seen at villa park in years. Millwall I had more respect for us they completely battered us. Preston were just dirty and time wasters. Neil is a cock too 

I'm not saying you have to like it....but it was the main reason we looked off the pace.

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'm not saying you have to like it....but it was the main reason we looked off the pace.

Nigel do you think they are really a good footballing side? I actually dont think they are that great, they are solid and hard to break down but i think if we had full side we would have won yesterday. we were shit all over yesterday but we still managed to cause them several problems 

I been more impressed with the likes of Millwall and Brentford at Villa Park this year 

Have to agree a point last night wasn't too bad, I expected it given the circumstances. Although the overall performance and plan was very concerning.

Also agree we have to win on Saturday, 3 games without a win is not acceptable at this stage when we are aiming for automatic promotion. Sheffield Wednesday are a very poor side at the moment and have several players out injured. Last night they didn't play with a recognised striker, as the likes of Joao and Nuhiu have knocks and still aren't 100%, (although they came off the bench).

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Nigel do you think they are really a good footballing side? I actually dont think they are that great, they are solid and hard to break down but i think if we had full side we would have won yesterday. we were shit all over yesterday but we still managed to cause them several problems 

I been more impressed with the likes of Millwall and Brentford at Villa Park this year 

Half decent footballing side ...yes, but that's not their game. They are built on a very underestimated defence that close everything quickly helped by a midfield that also give you no space. They also know all the tricks on the game of wasting time and taking players down early to stop any rythem building.

Horrible team to play.

You are right that we would have won with a full team though as I think we would have had too many options.....but that team they could handle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Half decent footballing side ...yes, but that's not their game. They are built on a very underestimated defence that close everything quickly helped by a midfield that also give you no space. They also know all the tricks on the game of wasting time and taking players down early to stop any rythem building.

Horrible team to play.

You are right that we would have won with a full team though as I think we would have had too many options.....but that team they could handle.

That is main reason I dont rate them. Good sides dont need to resort to those tactics. 

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So we where lucky to have got the point from the game then @TRO

The Fulham game was describe as day we where not at the races and all over the place at times, was it a case of this again from the word go?

It's worrying as even when I we where on the winning run something silently inside asked me.. what would happen if one gets injured.. we will cope fine, but we have had more than just one.

Without leaning on the injuries too much here, we still should be doing better in our position. Only 10 days ago we had a full bill of health and in that time we have on and off lost 4 key players to injury. That's a blow, however we do have the quality here in the waiting on the bench surely waiting to be able to step up and take the place?

Is it the setup and formation? is it players in certain positions? do we need to shuffle and tinker a few?

I would say it would be refreshing if he did and maybe ripped this one off the wall and start with something new, until our winning formula plan A is available to use again then roll the dice for another game.

All teams have their problems.....I question the ability to get in to the opposition at times, we have to find a way of representing the position in the league we occupy.

That last night was midtable.

We simply lose out on too many one one ones, both aerially ( which is a joke) and on the ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's very hard to use injuries as an excuse considering the squad that we have and the fact that we were playing Preston at home. A team which cost a grand total of £2m. We just didn't want it enough. Quite alarming in the run-in when we have such a big target to aim it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

We went looking not to lose.

I disagree. This gets thrown around every time we don't win a game.

Just because something doesn't work doesn't mean we had no intention of winning the game.

I agree the setup was wrong, but I don't think Steve Bruce sent the team out there to get a draw. I don't think he's done that once since he got here.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree. This gets thrown around every time we don't win a game.

Just because something doesn't work doesn't mean we had no intention of winning the game.

I agree the setup was wrong, but I don't think Steve Bruce sent the team out there to get a draw. I don't think he's done that once since he got here.

The switch to 3 at the back and the game we played with no striker, stand out as moments where it seemed Bruce went out there looking for a draw.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

The switch to 3 at the back and the game we played with no striker, stand out as moments where it seemed Bruce went out there looking for a draw.

Yup exactly. Maybe not to lose is harsh but definitely to keep it tight and try and nick it. It's terrible tactic at home. I don't mind it away from home though. Preston do not have a physical midfield and we played both Thor and Jedi in midfield. We have seen plenty of times Thor not working out on the left so I am baffled why he thought it would work last night. 

Preston pushed right up the pitch and we fell back , we had no outlet other than hoofing it up to Hogan who had none of our players anywhere near him.

I have seen 90 minutes of our last two matches and from my point of view we played better against Fulham .

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree.

Playing defensive =/= playing for the draw

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Preston pushed right up the pitch and we fell back , we had no outlet other than hoofing it up to Hogan who had none of our players anywhere near him.

I have seen 90 minutes of our last two matches and from my point of view we played better against Fulham .

The first half of the Fulham game I thought we played decent stuff and had a good game plan. Yesterday I am not sure what we were doing. Bruce blaming the pitch as well? I mean Preston had the same pitch and they were fine with it. It's also been the same pretty much most of the season.