17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

54 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wolves fans are quite confident for a bunch who were managed by Paul Lambert this time last year.

yes, we are.

I really really really hope we go up automatically.

But i must say, the playoffs will be fascinating.

I suppose you always want to finish third because 6th is generally the weakest?

We might also be able to rest players ahead of them in last game or so, depending on situation.

Exciting and terrifying in equal measure!

I think we'd do it.

I actually have zero problem with Wolves. Should be a fun game. We need these points though thats for sure. If the swirl around them possibly being dodgy distracts them a little bit then thats fine by me. They are undeniably a good side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolf man said:

I commented before the first game which played out quite well to what i said ,  so just thought it would be only right to give you my opinion for the second clash . 

Villa have improved from the last time we met ,and do think you can cause us some problems,  especially with your record at villa park , and the crowd behind you . You will have to get off to a fast start,  and most certainly have to score first and defend like your lives depended on it . Hutton was a class act the last time you played us and saved your bacon on more than one occasion. Shame  he won't be fit for the return match . 

The problem you will have is , I don't think you will be able to cope with our attacking flair once again . The Keith wyness and villa situation will certainly have our players fired up, with no nuno team talk required , and with jota , bonatini and cav upfront , we are more than capable of dishing out a demolition job. 

Wolves will score goals I have no doubt about it , and you have caught us at just the wrong time with the demolition of Leeds in our previous match and our best player neves chomping at the bit,  back into the fold. I think the best you can hope for is a score draw , and that's if you can get at our back 3 with grealish or adomah . Danny bath is not the quickest of defenders (hint hint )  but great in the air and doesn't sherk a tackle . Coady has been superb this season and big willy boly is first class , so don't expect any change out of them . 

Looking forward to the match which is  hopefully a sell out with a great atmosphere. I would fully expect some mendez chants along with Keith wyness ones too , all in good humour of course. :) Good luck sat and for the rest of the season as you will need it . ;)  UTW 

Interesting post.....the bit about firing you lot up with the adverse Mendez talk is right.....i can't believe we have been stupid enough to fall for that.....what on earth was we thinking about getting involved in that ****...... we have just lost the terrace battle.

I agree with you about Hutton and he will be a big loss imo in regards to presence and passion.

However if villa fans can divorce themselves from negatives and get behind their own team anything can happen.

We do have players who can cause you problems just like Fulham did.....and as much as you looked very comfortable against Leeds, you looked very uncomfortable against Fulham, in fact I was surprised how your confidence sapped in that game, Fulham made you look very ordinary.

Its all on the day......We can beat you make no mistake about that, it all depends on individual players being "at it"

we will wait and see.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I really really really hope we go up automatically.

But i must say, the playoffs will be fascinating.

I suppose you always want to finish third because 6th is generally the weakest?

We might also be able to rest players ahead of them in last game or so, depending on situation.

Exciting and terrifying in equal measure!

I think we'd do it.

4th is my prediction.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Interesting post.....the bit about firing you lot up with the adverse Mendez talk is right.....i can't believe we have been stupid enough to fall for that.....what on earth was we thinking about getting involved in that ****...... we have just lost the terrace battle.

I agree with you about Hutton and he will be a big loss imo in regards to presence and passion.

However if villa fans can divorce themselves from negatives and get behind their own team anything can happen.

We do have players who can cause you problems just like Fulham did.....and as much as you looked very comfortable against Leeds, you looked very uncomfortable against Fulham, in fact I was surprised how your confidence sapped in that game, Fulham made you look very ordinary.

Its all on the day......We can beat you make no mistake about that, it all depends on individual players being "at it"

we will wait and see.

Wyness for you....

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wyness for you....

Not really interested in going after folk......it was just stupid imo to get involved in this ****......that is just what they want....it makes 'em feel important.

we seem to have done it now......irritating

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

4th is my prediction.

Reluctantly agree.

Call me pessimistic but I can see Fulham overtaking us if we don't turn on the style we are capable of for the rest of the season.

We are not a hundred percent consistent yet.

If we win three games this week, the table could look completely different though.

Wolves fans are a confident bunch at the moment aren't they and rightly so I suppose.  No doubt we'd be the same if we were top.  However, their over confidence could be their downfall tomorrow.    I just hope we are all fired up and rise to the occasion.  We have the players to hurt them and we'll need to defend well throughout, but I predict a very nervy, perhaps fortunate 2-1 win.  UTV 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Reluctantly agree.

Call me pessimistic but I can see Fulham overtaking us if we don't turn on the style we are capable of for the rest of the season.

We are not a hundred percent consistent yet.

If we win three games this week, the table could look completely different though.

Look, I think we are capable of much better.....but equally, we are capable of allowing the opposition to take the initiative.....and thats the bit that breeds doubts with me.

We have leaders in Terry, Chester and Snodgrass, even Hutton when hes in, but we also have players who stand off and dither. it affects our consistency.

If we can muster the belief and impose our game on the opposition, we can acheive anything......its down to us.

• Like 1

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Wolves fans are a confident bunch at the moment aren't they and rightly so I suppose.  No doubt we'd be the same if we were top.  However, their over confidence could be their downfall tomorrow.    I just hope we are all fired up and rise to the occasion.  We have the players to hurt them and we'll need to defend well throughout, but I predict a very nervy, perhaps fortunate 2-1 win.  UTV 

Well they need to watch the Fulham game.

I think more than anything, we need to be sharp up front and take our chances, their confidence will evaporate, if we can.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Look, I think we are capable of much better.....but equally, we are capable of allowing the opposition to take the initiative.....and thats the bit that breeds doubts with me.

We have leaders in Terry, Chester and Snodgrass, even Hutton when hes in, but we also have players who stand off and dither. it affects our consistency.

If we can muster the belief and impose our game on the opposition, we can acheive anything......its down to us.

Pretty much.

I really don't want to see us giving Wolves too much respect tomorrow, nothing would frustrate me more.

I would much prefer to see an end to end game than a perceived "Defensive Masterclass" meaning all we do is soak up pressure hoping to counter and lose anyway.

EDIT: Obviously my first choice would be to see one way Villa traffic, but not realistic. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Pretty much.

I really don't want to see us giving Wolves too much respect tomorrow, nothing would frustrate me more.

I would much prefer to see an end to end game than a perceived "Defensive Masterclass" meaning all we do is soak up pressure hoping to counter and lose anyway.

This may sound strange, with how we have played this season in a cautious sense....but i think we are not good enough in the full back positions to hold their offensive players, in a containment game.

I think our best hope is to out score them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

4th is my prediction.

Always the merchant of doom - for once get behind Steve Bruce and have some faith you old knocker ;)

‘you should be banging the drum of glory not playing the trumpet of defeat .

dont wobble now tro - stay strong and bold .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Yes, the higher finishers have a greater chance of promotion through the play-offs, historically. Since they were introduced the 1988/89 season, the promoted team has finished in the following positions:

3rd - 10/29 = 34.5%

4th -  8/29  = 27.6%

5th -  6/29  = 20.7%

6th -  5/29  = 17.2%

Nice, cheers for that.

Just out of idle curiosity, would that include the 94/95 season when Reading finished 2nd but lost to 3rd place Bolton in the play-offs?

• Thanks 1

I’m sure I’ll go on saying this until the seasons end...but I never understand predictions or feelings of woe.

Why on earth shouldn’t we beat Wolves and finish above Fulham and Cardiff ?

The stats show there are a few Clubs of similar capability, and, despite some very good football, Wolves are not Barcelona !

The time for concerns ( in my humble opinion) was when we laboured to get in the Top 6  - for a good while now we’ve shown we are as capable of winning games as anybody.

So even leaving aside things like Jacks Form not having been there previously, Grabban around to score goals, Snoddy and Albert playing with supreme confidence ( none of which was there the first six months) just on a simple assessment we are, at worst, in with an equal shout as Cardiff and Fulham.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

This may sound strange, with how we have played this season in a cautious sense....but i think we are not good enough in the full back positions to hold their offensive players, in a containment game.

I think our best hope is to out score them.

There has been nothing cautious about us for a good couple of months now, in my view.

• Like 1