17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Could be a very significant day. Fulham drop a point or lose at Preston (decent chance), Cardiff do the same (highly unlikely) and we get another local derby win (do you want to bet against us?). I expect and hope that we will be playing each other in the PL next season in any case but a home win would really help make that happen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

I think you are emphasising the most important thing about tomorrow.

In reality it’s arguable that a defeat for Cardiff is the most important result, followed by a defeat for Fulham, followed by a Win for us.....by that I mean we can be beaten by Wolves and it make little difference in itself - even if we win we’d still be 7 behind them, meaning to catch them they’d have to lose 3 more out of their last ten even if we won every game.

As such, whatever happens in our game a defeat for Cardiff will make it a good day. With us still to play / beat them at Home they’d only have to lose one other game for us to overtake them.

Having said that, I’m very confident we will get a Win tomorrow, Grealish Grabban Snodders Adomah And Hourihane means a goal threat unlike any Wolves will have faced.

That is very,very true......just got to ensure we don't get ourselves closed down too easily and nullify our goal threat......If we do, I hope we do it back.

but you are right Terry, We can win it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eastie said:

Always the merchant of doom - for once get behind Steve Bruce and have some faith you old knocker ;)

‘you should be banging the drum of glory not playing the trumpet of defeat .

dont wobble now tro - stay strong and bold .

No, I think our side is good.....just weak at Full back.....hence I don't think we will finish in the Auto Places......but I have been wrong before......just once.:)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

No, I think our side is good.....just weak at Full back.....hence I don't think we will finish in the Auto Places......but I have been wrong before......just once.:)

Our weakness is not full back its our complete lack of creativity if we lose one of more of Adomah, Grealish or Snodgrass.

So if all 3 can stay fit from now until the end of the season we have a massive chance of promotion.  Injury to one or more puts this in doubt.

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Our weakness is not full back its our complete lack of creativity if we lose one of more of Adomah, Grealish or Snodgrass.

So if all 3 can stay fit from now until the end of the season we have a massive chance of promotion.  Injury to one or more puts this in doubt.

yeah....But I would imagine Cavaleiro/Neves/Jota out would have a similar affect on Wolves or Sessegnon/Mitrovic/Cairney out would do the same to Fulham.

Injuries of that magnitude will have a marked effect.

I still think our full backs are a tad below our general standard, with possibly the exception of Hutton.

Edited by TRO

Theres no way we can catch Wolves. Even if we win tonight. Thats 7 points. Say even Cardiff beat them and we win our corresponding fixture. Thats 4. Their remaining games are Burton Sunderland Birmingham Hull etc. They wont lose  2 more. Even then.. we would have to win all ours.  No chance really. We need to beat Wolves to maintain that 4 points to Cardiff. Then we need Wolves to beat Cardiff and we beat Cardiff. 

Lose tonight and its play off football imo. Could be 7 behind Cardiff and Fulham 1 behind. Must win. 

It’s clearly highly unlikely we’d catch Wolves, Win or Lose.

But Cardiff’s a different story they are as likely to lose games as us, I think with them and a couple of others  it’ll go to the wire.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It’s clearly highly unlikely we’d catch Wolves, Win or Lose.

But Cardiff’s a different story they are as likely to lose games as us, I think with them and a couple of others  it’ll go to the wire.

Warnock won't let them lose a 7 point lead. They will likely best the scum. We need to win to maintain the 4 point gap.

12 minutes ago, KSV said:

Warnock won't let them lose a 7 point lead. They will likely best the scum. We need to win to maintain the 4 point gap.

Fair enough you say we Have to Win and they Wont lose a 7 point League. All very certain.

I say far far better teams than Cardiff have been unable to control their future as well as that and that after today there will 10 games to play during which there will be lots of twists. ‘Twas ever thus. The only thing I’m certain of is that nothing will be decided today, Tuesday, or likely until April.

15 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Fair enough you say we Have to Win and they Wont lose a 7 point League. All very certain.

I say far far better teams than Cardiff have been unable to control their future as well as that and that after today there will 10 games to play during which there will be lots of twists. ‘Twas ever thus. The only thing I’m certain of is that nothing will be decided today, Tuesday, or likely until April.

Fair enough. It's not certainty but probability.