Villa losses trebled in accounts

Eastie

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

No thanks - it could mean widespread sales at cut prices and playing a bunch of academy players  .

vital we go up next season .

That's the likely scenario for the 2018/19 season

14 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Only if we fail to get promoted next season - it's shit or bust in many ways .

Shit or bust was not the strategic plan I thought new owners had in mind for Aston Villa.  The fact that it is leaves me wondering if they were the right people to sell to in the first place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

iirc they pulled the money from the sales of delph, benteke etc forward to flower up last years, this was always coming

I don't think so.

Having had a shufti at last year's thread, we made a loss of just under £20m on player transactions. The bit about the summer transactions was a note in the accounts about how much had been received and spent last summer.

Impairments to assets would be pay-offs and write-offs wouldn't they?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KHV said:

Shit or bust was not the strategic plan I thought new owners had in mind for Aston Villa.  The fact that it is leaves me wondering if they were the right people to sell to in the first place.

In fairness the money spent on this squad should have been more than enough to get promotion and feel confident about doing so .

we have spent more than Brighton , Huddersfield , reading and Leeds put together.

The wage bill is a concern again especially after Xia's comment a week or so ago. 

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

We also don't know if the loss was covered by Randy before he sold - i.e. if he converted shares to equity and thereby effectively paid it off from his own pocket.

I could be wrong, but he always seemed like an honourable man to me, and his actions may have been misguided at times, but I suspect that given what KW said, he paid them off. So the issue then (now) is purely about complying with FFP rules, rather than any kind of Leeds scenario where the club itself was nigh on bust.

He was definitely converting debt to equity up until the set of accounts prior to this. I don't whether he cleared the last bit that was remaining, though. 

• Like 2

Remember those days when all we cared about was the football on the pitch? 

Dr T and Wyness would be fully aware of these accounts and what the results would be. They both seem very good businessmen and will have planned for this. We have recruited numerous commercial staff to increase our revenue and will be getting better deals in place.

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Remember those days when all we cared about was the football on the pitch? 

Dr T and Wyness would be fully aware of these accounts and what the results would be. They both seem very good businessmen and will have planned for this. We have recruited numerous commercial staff to increase our revenue and will be getting better deals in place.

Could we not just get sponsored by recon for £150m next season :)

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Could we not just get sponsored by recon for £150m next season :)

I think theoretically the rules say something about a deal has to stand up business wise. They pulled Man City up when their owner sponsored the stadium for £400m. City had some sort of punishment which meant they had to have one less squad member for the Champions League matches. After that I don't think anything was public knowledge. I assume the money men and their lawyers had a good "chat" with the FA and UEFA and "a way" was found. I imagine we also have lawyers and money men who speak in similar riddles. 

30 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think theoretically the rules say something about a deal has to stand up business wise. They pulled Man City up when their owner sponsored the stadium for £400m. City had some sort of punishment which meant they had to have one less squad member for the Champions League matches. After that I don't think anything was public knowledge. I assume the money men and their lawyers had a good "chat" with the FA and UEFA and "a way" was found. I imagine we also have lawyers and money men who speak in similar riddles. 

I'll  take that now to be fair they can make our Champions League squad 25 men less if they want. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

In fairness the money spent on this squad should have been more than enough to get promotion and feel confident about doing so .

we have spent more than Brighton , Huddersfield , reading and Leeds put together.

It's not what you spend, it's how you spend it. 

We need to look at the operating profit / loss. The exceptional items will most likely be non recurring one off write downs and charges. No need for alarm IMO.

• Like 2

Â