• Morley
  • A Evans
  • Cropley
  • Bremner
  • Mortimer
  • Rimmer
  • Ehiogu

and more

Ok so I'm going back a bit....but even then , they were modest sums, even in those days

We have been more successful, with those type of buys.

These are the ones that I remember (Teale and Spink towards the end) so I can't comment on the rest. I'm taking a stab here but that a period of roughly 12/13 years from McGrath to Laursen. I've highlighted 6 so roughly one every two years. That's a pretty good hit rate.

Now let's consider the subsequent 12/13 years. We've had Benteke since then who was relatively cheap considering what we received for him. Downing also made a tidy profit but was a fairly big outlay in the first place. I'm struggling to think of more. Young, maybe. I can't remember what we sold him for. We royally f****d up on the scouting side during the Lerner era didn't we? Made losses on players left, right and centre while paying fairly substantial money. We have essentially halved our hit rate in bargain finding. 

I think we need to have a pretty good base in place first and that will require money to be spent. Although maybe the way to do it is, instead of spending £2 million on a player and hope he ends up being the next Yorke or Barry. Spend the money behind the scenes. Put the scouting and player analysis infrastructure in place and the Yorkes et al will be much easier to find.

Failing that Tony can use his Chinese government contacts and get us offering the Messis of the world stupid money while having dubious sponsor deals with Chinese companies who build some sort of flying machine for dogs. I don't care. I just want Villa to be successful again.

18 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

So many Chinese billboards around today. Anyone with any ideas what was being advertised ? @Deisler123 (or anyone else who can speak mandarin)did you see and can translate?

You mean the ground billboards? or around the stadium (outside)?

I didn't watch the game live today. For the last home game, I did. Most were for Recon, and some small businesses (compared to Samsung, Sony etc.)

I will check next time when I watch the home game and make a note of what they are.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 15:56, rodders0223 said:

I am no expert but I don't see large sponsorship deals unfortunately, not even with Tony's contacts.

We are nobodies nowadays :(

It is just because the championships has zero coverage in China, unfortunately. Either going back to PL or signing a Chinese player (after returning back to PL) will definitely get decent sponsorship deals easily.

It just does not work now no matter what, because simply we are in this league...

8 hours ago, dn1982 said:

The key word is potentially. If we pay the top amount it'll mean success. We should structure all our deals and contracts like this. If we go up we pay higher wages and fees. Jedinak could be a liability as 3 year deals at 32 are wrong unless heavily incentivised. Im confident we have the right men in place to oversea it all though. 

we paid £9m upfront, which is £5m too much to start with

22 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I suspect we will end up with a fairly generous Chinese based sponsorship deal next season.

Possibly from RECON or related companies, yes.

Not quite possible from unrelated companies because at the moment Villa has no 'advertising effect' to exploit when playing in 2nd Division.

Things will be completely different when we get back to PL tho.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He gets better tax rates because he owns an international sports company, recon will be paying something like 10% less tax because of us, "compliment" is an understatement!

That will have a figure though, the rule is he just has to own us, he doesn't have to make us successful or pump loads of money in

I don't know why you think like this. 

A. RECON does not have much business in the UK. Owning Villa does not give RECON any tax relief in any way....

B. It is very very clear that owning Villa is only a part of his business plan - nothing wrong with this IMO, and making Villa successful can only be a good thing for his bigger plan.

C. honestly, it is a bit unfair to say 'he doesn't have to make us successful or pump loads of money in'. He is not an actor, and you can see that he cares.

But I do agree that in order to exploit full support of his deep pocket, Villa need to get back to PL next season. Perhaps this is the point you wanted to make? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KHV said:

we paid £9m upfront, which is £5m too much to start with

Seeing as Rhodes went for similar no it isn't. It's the going rate but this is about finances and we've structure the deal in the right way. You not thinking he's worth it doesn't matter. 

Interesting comments from Wyness today regarding the accounts where he talks about impairment in terms of the latest accounts released. He suggests that this is the reason for the alarming headline loss and explains the clubs market price was less than the value listed on the club balance sheet. I may be reading it wrong but it appears that the 79 mill exceptional item was due to Xia paying that amount less for the club than the value listed on the balance sheet.

He explains in the video in the link below and also states this:

“There’s absolutely no cause for concern.

“Since we bought the club we have actually reduced the debt in overdraft facilities.

“And Tony is funding the growth himself out of our own over-funds.

“So the club has probably never been in better financial shape than it is right now.”

Aston Villa Probably Never Been In Better Financial Shape

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Interesting comments from Wyness today regarding the accounts where he talks about impairment in terms of the latest accounts released. He suggests that this is the reason for the alarming headline loss and explains the clubs market price was less than the value listed on the club balance sheet. I may be reading it wrong but it appears that the 79 mill exceptional item was due to Xia paying that amount less for the club than the value listed on the balance sheet.

He explains in the video in the link below and also states this:

Aston Villa Probably Never Been In Better Financial Shape

Video won't work for me. **** Mail. 

Yep that's what wyness said. But he did hesitate when asked if we didn't go up next season either.

He also said how crap FF is as doesn't do what it's intended to do. FFA protects the bigger clubs that's what it's there for.

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Video won't work for me. **** Mail. 

It can take a while to load mate. I have posted a link to the full Q and A in the Keith Wyness thread although again from the Mail site.

• Like 1

So in simple terms we only actually physically lost £1.7million with the remaining £79.6 million loss as a paper exercise. Happy days when you see the scousers posting £20million losses on £300mlion plus turnover, and given their worldwide fan base and the fact they need to spunk £50milkion on a new training facility. 

Edited by thabucks

It seems like the £79.6m is the difference between Randy Lerner's valuation of the club and whatever Tony actually paid for her. At least according to Keith. So it had to be dropped from the books. 

Which means that actually, Tom Fox might have done a decent job with the P&L. Interesting. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I never held much doubt he was a good 'commercial manager'.

Yet he was our CEO and he got in someone else to do the Commercial role, didn't he? If he did, it maybe worked well, so either way, something to change the status of his time here from total unmitigated disaster to, er, almost total unmitigated disaster

• Like 2

Â