Villa losses trebled in accounts

Eastie

4 hours ago, Eastie said:

Rather hungry ambitious players who know the rewards are great for achieving results than someone here for the money whatever the result .

of course that's how in the ideal world it may be but sadly most players are in in for the cash and you are right.

It's a professional sport. This is their job. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Since the accounts were released on the Companies House website yesterday, here's a more detailed breakdown of the accounts.

2016                    2015

Total Revenue (excluding player sales)-                £108.816M           £115.692M

Profit on player sales-                                            £34.764M             £375K

Player Amortisation-                                              £16M                    £19.6M

Total Wages-                                                         £93M                     £83.7M

Worth noting that we never made a profit under Lerner. Infact, we made total losses of £332M. Staggering.

Breakdown of wages for all the teams to have released their 15-16 accounts:

1- Man U- £232M

2- Chelsea- £222M

3-Liverpool- £208M

4-Man City- £198M

5- Arsenal- £195M

6- Villa- £93M

7- Everton- £84M

8- West Ham- £83M

9- Stoke- £82M

10- WBA- £74M

11- Norwich- £67M

So the summer we sold Benteke, Delph and released Vlaar and signed mostly from the French league our wages went up 10m if I'm reading that right?!

I just don't get that. Yes Lescott and Richards would've been a decent whack but why the need to offer massive wage increases to the likes of Veretout and Gana.

These lads weren't on 40k p/w in the French league ffs...beyond PSG, Monaco and Lyon the teams are mostly poor payers.

I just don't understand why we offer massive wage increases as it easily leads to demotivation and as we saw last year these players aren't that good anyway, there are plenty more cheaper players around the likes of Everton and Spurs sign and then give them improved contracts after a year when they've played well.

I really hope we learn our lessons when we eventually get back to the prem but can't say this year has been too encouraging given the lack of value for money signings this season.

4 hours ago, limpid said:

Or they just sign for a club that doesn't use bonuses.

Spurs do a win bonus system I think....Lloris gets a good but not outlandish salary and then think it's 10/15k extra when Spurs win which is quite a bit these days. That's a method I'm far more in tune with than just a straight double your money pitch in contract negotaitions which seems to be our main trick.

I accept living in London is a big pull for those players.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

So the summer we sold Benteke, Delph and released Vlaar and signed mostly from the French league our wages went up 10m if I'm reading that right?!

I just don't get that. Yes Lescott and Richards would've been a decent whack but why the need to offer massive wage increases to the likes of Veretout and Gana.

These lads weren't on 40k p/w in the French league ffs...beyond PSG, Monaco and Lyon the teams are mostly poor payers.

I just don't understand why we offer massive wage increases as it easily leads to demotivation and as we saw last year these players aren't that good anyway, there are plenty more cheaper players around the likes of Everton and Spurs sign and then give them improved contracts after a year when they've played well.

I really hope we learn our lessons when we eventually get back to the prem but can't say this year has been too encouraging given the lack of value for money signings this season.

I'm guessing Lescott and Richards were on 50k a week each, then the likes of Veretout, Gueye, Ayew, Gestede and Sinclair were all on 30-45k a week. Not to forget Adama, who was also on a very high wage if I remember rightly.

But it's still amazing that we could get rid of 5 of our highest earning players (Bent, Given, Benteke, Delph, Vlaar) in one summer, only to see our wage bill shoot up by £10 million in the following season. Just shows how badly we were run under Lerner/Fox.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Spurs do a win bonus system I think....Lloris gets a good but not outlandish salary and then think it's 10/15k extra when Spurs win which is quite a bit these days. That's a method I'm far more in tune with than just a straight double your money pitch in contract negotaitions which seems to be our main trick.

I accept living in London is a big pull for those players.

Im sure that was the sort of Deal Villa had back in 80-82.  I remember reading an article where Dennis Mortimer was defending the bonus system just before we won the league.

It also made players desperate to be part of the first team and stay there to get the win bonus

Do those salary figures include paying people who were no longer at the club? 

We've spent a fortune paying up managers, paying players to go away and generally paying to keep mistakes away from the club over the years. There's still an element of that today with the number of players that don't play for us but that we own and I guess in the money we've paid to a number of managers over the last twelve months - we're a mess that's going to take years to clear up.

7 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

I'm guessing Lescott and Richards were on 50k a week each, then the likes of Veretout, Gueye, Ayew, Gestede and Sinclair were all on 30-45k a week. Not to forget Adama, who was also on a very high wage if I remember rightly.

But it's still amazing that we could get rid of 5 of our highest earning players (Bent, Given, Benteke, Delph, Vlaar) in one summer, only to see our wage bill shoot up by £10 million in the following season. Just shows how badly we were run under Lerner/Fox.

Forgot about Adama but that summer we did let Weimann also go which would've balanced things out.

I just don't understand it if likes of Gana, Amavi and Veretout were all on 40k a week. Teams like Nantes, Lille and Nice don't pay their squad that as the money simply isn't there in French football for clubs below the top 4.

There are regular starters at Napoli for example only earning 25k a week for example so no way a French club not called PSG would be paying that.

Paying over the top wages has been (one of many) a big problem for us for ages now.

Unless the player or manager has an amazing drive they will feel complacent and like they've "made it".

Loads of players lose their motivation when the big checks start dropping in each week.

Happens at every club, but we've made it an art form.

Already having a few slackers and signing over the hill journeymen also probably doesn't help.

• Like 2

On 28/02/2017 at 23:58, mikeyp102 said:

So many Chinese billboards around today. Anyone with any ideas what was being advertised ? @Deisler123 (or anyone else who can speak mandarin)did you see and can translate?

Probably dildos and other assorted sex toys.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Yet Spurs do it pretty well eh

I'm sold. Let's offer the same deals to players we are trying to recruit as Spurs do and see how that works out.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2017 at 02:50, dn1982 said:

The key word is potentially. If we pay the top amount it'll mean success. We should structure all our deals and contracts like this. If we go up we pay higher wages and fees. Jedinak could be a liability as 3 year deals at 32 are wrong unless heavily incentivised. Im confident we have the right men in place to oversea it all though. 

Which country are they sending Jedinak's contract to? And why?

Â