Biggest lesson you've learned?

Dodgyknees

learnt a lesson today

Being in a small office kitchen and hilariously reciting 'roses are red, violets are blue, this is my knife, get in the van' does not get the laughs expected with two female architects that don't have english as a first language.

• Like 3

I think mine would be simply live in the moment. For a long time I don't think I got the best out of life due to looking to the future too much.

Life is short the only thing we don't know is just how short ours will be. Value experiences over possessions and make some great memories.

• Like 1

Biggest lesson I learned is to properly evaluate information that is presented to me.  I have a history degree and even as I took it I thought I would never use it in real life.  As a professional geek in the IT world as I am today you would be forgiven for thinking that I was right.  However a history degree is not just about learning about what order kings came along in, a string of important dates or how many wives Henry VIII had.  A history degree gives you the skills to to evaluate information as you receive it.  You will all have heard the who, what, where, when and for whom analysis that is taught from early on in history lessons at school.  I use that stuff every day.  When my customer tells me they don't have any budget, or my boss says that everyone is getting a pay freeze there is always a subtext that these skills help me uncover.  Even in dating and later in marriage it has helped me better understand what my partner needs/wants (I don't want to oversell this too much here, this is not a guidebook to the female mind and in the main they confuse me as much as the rest of you, but it does help me recognise that what I am seeing on the surface does not necessarily represent the thoughts that are going on underneath.)

In uncertain times such as these where truth seems to matter less it seems to me these skills are needed even more.  The Brexit debate was a classic example of this as I found both sides of the debate (at least the headline acts) to be as dishonest as each other.  I really struggled to decide who to vote for because I could trust neither.  It seems that the ability or indeed desire to critically assess our political class or indeed for our political class to actually apply this process is actively discouraged these days.  I can't help but think that if we all applied even a single layer of critical assessment to our sources of information we would demand a higher standard from the people who provide said info and possibly have a better debate.

Uncovering the objective truth to apply evidence based decision making.  It seems a logical framework, I certainly value it, but it does seem to be going rather out of fashion at the moment.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Biggest lesson I learned is to properly evaluate information that is presented to me.  I have a history degree and even as I took it I thought I would never use it in real life.  As a professional geek in the IT world as I am today you would be forgiven for thinking that I was right.  However a history degree is not just about learning about what order kings came along in, a string of important dates or how many wives Henry VIII had.  A history degree gives you the skills to to evaluate information as you receive it.  You will all have heard the who, what, where, when and for whom analysis that is taught from early on in history lessons at school.  I use that stuff every day.  When my customer tells me they don't have any budget, or my boss says that everyone is getting a pay freeze there is always a subtext that these skills help me uncover.  Even in dating and later in marriage it has helped me better understand what my partner needs/wants (I don't want to oversell this too much here, this is not a guidebook to the female mind and in the main they confuse me as much as the rest of you, but it does help me recognise that what I am seeing on the surface does not necessarily represent the thoughts that are going on underneath.)

In uncertain times such as these where truth seems to matter less it seems to me these skills are needed even more.  The Brexit debate was a classic example of this as I found both sides of the debate (at least the headline acts) to be as dishonest as each other.  I really struggled to decide who to vote for because I could trust neither.  It seems that the ability or indeed desire to critically assess our political class or indeed for our political class to actually apply this process is actively discouraged these days.  I can't help but think that if we all applied even a single layer of critical assessment to our sources of information we would demand a higher standard from the people who provide said info and possibly have a better debate.

Uncovering the objective truth to apply evidence based decision making.  It seems a logical framework, I certainly value it, but it does seem to be going rather out of fashion at the moment.

But surely Brexit was an empirical question which could not be decided from a theoretical basis?

I found my philosophy degree fairly useful when it came to Brexit. It was comforting to know that no matter what the outcome of the referendum was, I couldn't be certain that the EU even really existed, so it was hard to get too worked up.

£9,000 well spent.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I found my philosophy degree fairly useful when it came to Brexit. It was comforting to know that no matter what the outcome of the referendum was, I couldn't be certain that the EU even really existed, so it was hard to get too worked up.

£9,000 well spent.

Philosophers said some amazing shit - Sartre said: 'Hell is other people' and he'd never even heard of the Internet.:)

Edited by MakemineVanilla

50 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

But surely Brexit was an empirical question which could not be decided from a theoretical basis?

I have been referencing the Brexit debate and the relevance of applying critical skills to the claims of both the main campaigns arguments.  For example the claim from leave that £350 million would be saved to spend on the NHS by leaving, and on the remain side there were claims that leaving will result in the third world war.  Neither argument stands up to even a cursory level of investigation.  Also understanding why we were being asked the question in the first place, who is doing the asking, why is it worded the way it is, who is running what campaign, what do they have to gain or lose from either result and many other questions are worth considering before you put an x in a box.  I agree that the question is itself can be described as empirical (although I am a little hazy as to the exact definition of an empirical question, I think of it as a question that can be answered with facts / science).  The debate however did not use empirical evidence consistently on either side to inform the debate and it is the analytical skills that I think should be applied to the evidence presented so you can get to the facts.  Also given that much of the debate around the Brexit issue was around what would happen in the future the politicians were certainly using theoretical arguments to influence the result. 

It may be that I have misunderstood your point, so please feel free to expand on it if I got the wrong end of the stick.

Whatever happened in my teens or 20's does not necessarily define you forever, no matter what people tell you.

Mistakes can be made and overcome,  I hardly went to secondary school for example and did many a naughty thing here and there,  but I went to night school and got qualifications in the end.

I have been with the same company for almost 20 years and have had so many different jobs along the way.  I do data analysis and reporting which is mostly self-taught so anything is possible.  If you F*** up when you are younger then it's not a dead end from that point on.

• Like 2

Â